The loss of Black Friday as a holiday.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
OK, just a little preemptive, please think about this! I have seen it brought up in a couple of threads.

Since the nightmare peak a few years back one of UPS's "solution" to fix missed X-mas deliveries was for us all to work the day after Thanksgiving (DAT). In the Central for DAT we were paid holiday pay plus double time!

Just running a few quick numbers, feel free to check my math and my rational.

1. $4.12 an hour raise over 5 years (still haven't seen how they plan to break them up so an assumption on my part) breaks down to $.82/hour per year.

2. If DAT is removed as a holiday then hours worked are straight time. so we lose: 1x's holiday and the double time. Thus pay rate per hour times 2!

3. Assumption for easy math of 8 hours worked on DAT. I know its never 8 hours but making math simple here.

If DAT is allowed to be changed to not being a holiday this means a loss of;

____(apply pay rate) X ($.82 as our raise) X (2) X (8 hours)

Therefore in the:
1st. year- The first 706.14 hours I work I have "lost" my raise!
2nd. year- The first 738.14 hours I work my raise is negated!
3rd. year- 754.14 hours!
4th. year- 770.14 hours!
5th. year- 786.14 hours!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
OK, just a little preemptive, please think about this! I have seen it brought up in a couple of threads.

Since the nightmare peak a few years back one of UPS's "solution" to fix missed X-mas deliveries was for us all to work the day after Thanksgiving (DAT). In the Central for DAT we were paid holiday pay plus double time!

1. $4.12 an hour raise over 5 years (still haven't seen how they plan to break them up so an assumption on my part) breaks down to $.82/hour per year.

2. If DAT is removed as a holiday then hours worked are straight time. so we lose: 1x's holiday and the double time. Thus pay rate per hour times 2!

3. Assumption for easy math of 8 hours worked on DAT. I know its never 8 hours but making math simple here.

Therefore in the:
3rd. year- 754.14 hours!
4th. year- 770.14 hours!
5th. year- 786.14 hours!

So much thought....

cachmeifucan

Therefore in the:
3rd. year- 754.14 hours!
4th. year- 770.14 hours!
5th. year- 786.14 hours!
Yes so with inflation and union dues going up. And loosing day after Thanksgiving plus the possibility of overtime getting cut no raise.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

Therefore in the:
3rd. year- 754.14 hours!
4th. year- 770.14 hours!
5th. year- 786.14 hours!

A couple of things, there is no way that the members would allow the loss of DAT without (at least) an additional replacement day. Next, using your example of working 8hrs DAT, you are only losing 16 hours of pay. Now getting a replacement holiday, you would only lose 8 hrs of pay DAT. Even if we made $40hr at the end of the contract, you are looking at losing $300-350.

DirtySouth

Therefore in the:
3rd. year- 754.14 hours!
4th. year- 770.14 hours!
5th. year- 786.14 hours!

The initial proposal in most supplements was either two holidays or two personal days in exchange for Black Friday.

I'm hearing that the company refused and many (if not all areas) are having to settle for a 1-for-1 trade. Personally, I'd rather we just tell the company no and force them to pay OT/Double Time nationwide as they've been doing the last 5 years or so.

They would actually save money in overtime/double time by trading two-for-one in this fashion; the company is just better at saying 'no' than we are.

JustDeliverIt

We are in the same boat here, getting double time plus the holiday. The DAT should only be given up as a holiday if we receive two days for it. I would prefer 2 sick days so we can take them when we want, but would settle for one rover and one sick. Want no part of only getting one day and wouldn't be thrilled with getting 2 rovers.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

Therefore in the:
3rd. year- 754.14 hours!
4th. year- 770.14 hours!
5th. year- 786.14 hours!
Make sure your local addresses this in your supplement.

browndevil

Therefore in the:
3rd. year- 754.14 hours!
4th. year- 770.14 hours!
5th. year- 786.14 hours!
Hell I've been around long enough to remember when we didn't work the day after Christmas. And Airborne (now DHL) didn't work Christmas Eve

Tony Q

Therefore in the:
3rd. year- 754.14 hours!
4th. year- 770.14 hours!
5th. year- 786.14 hours!
Honestly you just need to push the keyboard away for a little while. Where did you get the $4.12 over 5 year deal at. Also I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the day after thanks giving deal.

Crack a couple beers and enjoy Independence Day.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Honestly you just need to push the keyboard away for a little while. Where did you get the $4.12 over 5 year deal at. Also I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the day after thanks giving deal.

Crack a couple beers and enjoy Independence Day.
Come on Tony, he was only off by three cents?

Don't think that 3 cents will skew that equation by much.