The loss of Black Friday as a holiday.

In2Deep?

The calendar still recognizes this day as a holiday. I’ve called in this day the last three years they tried to force us into work only to find out months later in attendance evaluations that it was never counted as an occurrence.

They will never say it’s “mandatory” but will call it “a regularly scheduled work day” which raises my UPS management BS radar. And even if it is mandatory, if your attendance is ok and you call in like you’re supposed to it still only counts as one occurrence

I've worked Black Friday 3 of the last 4 years, even though it was optional for me since my schedule is Sun-Thurs, mainly because they were essentially giving us triple pay. If it goes back to straight time, I'll go with my wife to the in-laws for Thanksgiving, not worth sticking around for straight pay on Black Friday.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
On the New England Supplement conference call, Sean mentioned that they suggested to UPS to replace DAT with MLK Day.
It was refused by UPS. (????????????)
Not sure if Sean asked for a working holiday or a complete day off but UPS better get their head out of their ass !!!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Don’t egg my car but I think you guys got spoiled with the day after Thanksgiving off or triple time for working it. 22 years at FedEx Express and I never once got it off. You have to be in the top three seniority-wise to get that. Yeah, it was stupid because they were so worried about who would be closed, closing early etc. It would have been simpler for us to be closed as well.

542thruNthru

Don’t egg my car but I think you guys got spoiled with the day after Thanksgiving off or triple time for working it. 22 years at FedEx Express and I never once got it off. You have to be in the top three seniority-wise to get that. Yeah, it was stupid because they were so worried about who would be closed, closing early etc. It would have been simpler for us to be closed as well.

Shut up FedEx!
original.gif

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I worked them all as well for the last 24 years....volunteered to for double time plus holiday pay.

Why is it that you jumped to "you guys got spoiled"?

Do you not understand that we set the bar for you lessor, non-union drivers?
You should be cheering us on, not trying to advocate that we should somehow play our way back to the field.

Wake up hater!!!

El Correcto

god is dead
OK, just a little preemptive, please think about this! I have seen it brought up in a couple of threads.

Since the nightmare peak a few years back one of UPS's "solution" to fix missed X-mas deliveries was for us all to work the day after Thanksgiving (DAT). In the Central for DAT we were paid holiday pay plus double time!

Just running a few quick numbers, feel free to check my math and my rational.

1. $4.12 an hour raise over 5 years (still haven't seen how they plan to break them up so an assumption on my part) breaks down to $.82/hour per year.

2. If DAT is removed as a holiday then hours worked are straight time. so we lose: 1x's holiday and the double time. Thus pay rate per hour times 2!

3. Assumption for easy math of 8 hours worked on DAT. I know its never 8 hours but making math simple here.

If DAT is allowed to be changed to not being a holiday this means a loss of;

____(apply pay rate) X ($.82 as our raise) X (2) X (8 hours)

Therefore in the:
1st. year- The first 706.14 hours I work I have "lost" my raise!
2nd. year- The first 738.14 hours I work my raise is negated!
3rd. year- 754.14 hours!
4th. year- 770.14 hours!
5th. year- 786.14 hours!
giphy.gif

9JEoByc.gif

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Are you dense? We worked that day mandatory for STRAIGHT TIME and you guys can take the day off or get triple pay. What’s so hard to understand about that?
That doesn't make me "spoiled or dense", it makes you under paid and unappreciated.

The spoils are a product of collective bargaining.

I'll say it again, in hopes it snaps you out of your trance....

....what you get, is predicated on what union employees get, albeit only a percentage.

So, don't hate the player, hate the game....or at least switch teams.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
eKkcMdC.gif

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Sorry man but sounds like envy to me. :)
A bit maybe. But Bubblehead seems to think I should “cheer him on” because he makes quite a bit more money than FedEx drivers, gets triple pay then comes on here all big and bad? Ain’t gonna happen.

The rest of you, I do wish you guys the best. I mean that too. I have friends that are UPS drivers. If you can keep the DAT in your contract, well then more power to ‘ya!

One last thing. You guys really need to get rid of Jr. Hoffa.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
But Bubblehead seems to think I should “cheer him on” because he makes quite a bit more money than FedEx drivers, gets triple pay then comes on here all big and bad? Ain’t gonna happen.
Why not?.....it's in your best interest to cheer me on.

I'm trying to make you understand that you get what you get, because of what I get.

Your boy Fred S has always raised your bar when mine is raised, to discourage you and your coworkers from organizing.

That's a fact, whether you're to "dense" to comprehend it....or not.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
Honestly you just need to push the keyboard away for a little while. Where did you get the $4.12 over 5 year deal at. Also I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the day after thanks giving deal.

Crack a couple beers and enjoy Independence Day.

it's on the front page. .83 cents a year raise for 4.15 over the life of the contract. Pretty much bs when you consider the raises given to corporate down in Georgia.