542thruNthru

See, and this is the strange thing about my center vs other centers. We have a surplus of work. If the driver or SUPs help out its a Godsend because its so overwhelming otherwise.

I know what you're saying but it's not helping the situation in the long run. The only way it's going to get better is if they hire more people. They're not going to hire more people if drivers and supervisors are doing preloaders work.

specter208

It's futile to try to bash drivers on BC. We are hopelessly outnumbered on this website.

As a preloader myself, I will say that I've had some rude drivers, usually when I'm asked to cover for preloader vacations/sick calls. They'll be pissed that I don't load how the regular guy does and get every last piece in the truck instead of leaving certain stops out for them. Or when I move their totes full of junk or leave the hand truck in the cab to make room for incoming packages.

I just keep my mouth shut and don't let them intimidate me. They are much happier a day or two later when they notice load quality on their shelves and floor is actually much better than what the previous person provided.

Indecisi0n

Our preload sups get on my nerves. Their new thing is , as soon as a driver shows up they demand the preloader leave and let the driver finish. One time he did this I just stood there as everyone left. center manager ran up and said what are you doing ? Why aren't you leaving? I said I'm not a loader and was never trained on how to load? He looked at my like I had just asked him for the equation for ending world hungry. Lol.

Again I know I was being a dick but come on. Let the loader finish while I hell him.

UPS Preloader

They are just trying to make sure they have a good day. You should try to deliver a really bad load without reorganizing and try to make your time.

I have no issue with them re-organizing the truck, but wait until they are on the clock. Immediately after the PCM, they should organize their air and/or their first couple bulk stops. After their air is delivered, they should take the time to organize the rest. If the truck is so bulked out after PCM that they can’t do this, that’s UPS’s problem.

The only time UPS fixes anything, is when it regularly cost them money. That’s the only time even consider making a change.

As long as drivers are willing to re-organize the trucks off the clock, there is no reason for UPS to care about load quality. They are getting it loaded faster, and they are getting it organized for free.

iruhnman630

Or when I move their totes full of junk or leave the hand truck in the cab to make room for incoming packages.

You do realize the carts are required to be secured?

You'd be pissed too if you had to start your day rearranging the first 3 feet of your aisle to fix it.

Never sacrifice the cart for packages. If the car is that full, tell your sup.

I have no issue with them re-organizing the truck, but wait until they are on the clock. Immediately after the PCM, they should organize their air and/or their first couple bulk stops. After their air is delivered, they should take the time to organize the rest. If the truck is so bulked out after PCM that they can’t do this, that’s UPS’s problem.

The only time UPS fixes anything, is when it regularly cost them money. That’s the only time even consider making a change.

As long as drivers are willing to re-organize the trucks off the clock, there is no reason for UPS to care about load quality. They are getting it loaded faster, and they are getting it organized for free.
We had a preloader file a grievance over drivers coming in early to load their trucks off the clock. She won the grievance and drivers were threatened with progressive discipline up to termination for working off the clock. Did not make her very popular with some of the drivers or preload manager who was using free labor to make his numbers. You may want to consider the same action at your building.

over9five

Staff member
We had a preloader file a grievance over drivers coming in early to load their trucks off the clock. She won the grievance and drivers were threatened with progressive discipline up to termination for working off the clock. Did not make her very popular with some of the drivers or preload manager who was using free labor to make his numbers. You may want to consider the same action at your building.
She definitely has more balls than the drivers.

saintrick

I hate loading package cars. When I showed management my grievance for this they moved me to the position I wanted. Have not been back in a package car since.

BUCN85

Most drivers are prima donnas. I have worked both jobs, and there is absolutely no reason to think you are better than the other position. Both positions have their own difficulties to deal with on any typical day. Physically, preload has the harder job, mentally/emotionally, the driver has the harder job.
I have to disagree with pre-load is physically harder. I did pre-load 7 years. Now loading the mall area was difficult. But in my opinion loading the trucks for 4 hrs was a lot easier then getting in and out of the truck 300 times dollying furniture to a home. Delv boxes of paper to offices up steps etc..

I have to disagree with pre-load is physically harder. I did pre-load 7 years. Now loading the mall area was difficult. But in my opinion loading the trucks for 4 hrs was a lot easier then getting in and out of the truck 300 times dollying furniture to a home. Delv boxes of paper to offices up steps etc..
Plus dealing with the elements is a big challenge some days.