saintrick

I have to disagree with pre-load is physically harder. I did pre-load 7 years. Now loading the mall area was difficult. But in my opinion loading the trucks for 4 hrs was a lot easier then getting in and out of the truck 300 times dollying furniture to a home. Delv boxes of paper to offices up steps etc..

Depends on the preload setup. Pulling from 2 cages on the boxline and loading 4-6 trucks is no joke.

BUCN85

Plus dealing with the elements is a big challenge some days.
Couple weeks ago I had a coffe table I attempted to dolly up a hill of a long ice covered drive. Couldn't do it safely. EC'd it. Customer called saying fed ex can get up the drive (lie). Next day they had people out there with salt and shovels breaking up all the ice. Some customers just don't get it. My favorite quote is " well the mail truck can get turned around in my drive"

Couple weeks ago I had a coffe table I attempted to dolly up a hill of a long ice covered drive. Couldn't do it safely. EC'd it. Customer called saying fed ex can get up the drive (lie). Next day they had people out there with salt and shovels breaking up all the ice. Some customers just don't get it. My favorite quote is " well the mail truck can get turned around in my drive"
I have customers they do the same thing. I have too many steep hills and narrow roads on my route. I tell them straight out if it's snowing I'm not going up there. Call the center and I will gladly meet you to give you your package.

upschuck

I have to disagree with pre-load is physically harder. I did pre-load 7 years. Now loading the mall area was difficult. But in my opinion loading the trucks for 4 hrs was a lot easier then getting in and out of the truck 300 times dollying furniture to a home. Delv boxes of paper to offices up steps etc..
Preload is continuous physical activity for 4+ hours. Driving has a lot of breaks in the physical work.

Neutral

Our preload sups get on my nerves. Their new thing is , as soon as a driver shows up they demand the preloader leave and let the driver finish. One time he did this I just stood there as everyone left. center manager ran up and said what are you doing ? Why aren't you leaving? I said I'm not a loader and was never trained on how to load? He looked at my like I had just asked him for the equation for ending world hungry. Lol.

Again I know I was being a dick but come on. Let the loader finish while I hell him.
They are doing the exact same thing at my hub. Getting the preloaders out and letting drivers finish loading a pile of packages and bulking out. I understand that the sups are being pushed from upper management but shouldn't be happening.

Neutral

They are both difficult. I've done both and think driving is the most difficult. More things for management to harass you on and driving is typically a long day.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The drivers that have come back in to 22.3 hate the preload work.
Its not dealing with the BS that is worth the pay cut to them.
That is one of the many good reaons. There is much less b.s. in an 8-hour 22.3 shift than a 10-12 hour package car shift. Spending that many hours a day avoiding bad drivers, and everything else involved, is excessive. Besides, while everyone else is rat-racing to work and then working, I have the whole morning free. Especially nice in the summer when the weather improves. Also, working nights, it's much cooler and more comfortable than being trapped in the package car death trap at 3pm in a heat-wave. Of course feeders is a bit different, but good luck getting in on day work.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Also I should point out that "physical demand" is a bad comparison since this is danged union work. You should not be working slower or faster just because you have a turd-brown suit on.

UPS Preloader

We had a preloader file a grievance over drivers coming in early to load their trucks off the clock. She won the grievance and drivers were threatened with progressive discipline up to termination for working off the clock. Did not make her very popular with some of the drivers or preload manager who was using free labor to make his numbers. You may want to consider the same action at your building.

I have filed grievances on this in the past, but I do not file it against the driver. I file the grievance against UPS for allowing it in violation of CBA. (Not paying them for work performed is also in violation of the Dept. of Labor.)

ARTICLE 17. PAID FOR TIME

The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate compensation.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
We had a preloader file a grievance over drivers coming in early to load their trucks off the clock. She won the grievance and drivers were threatened with progressive discipline up to termination for working off the clock. Did not make her very popular with some of the drivers or preload manager who was using free labor to make his numbers. You may want to consider the same action at your building.
She da real MVP.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Nothing worse than a bull dyke snitch.