Lots of drivers come in early and help to finish loading their trucks where I'm at too.
You can file a grievance over drivers being allowed to work off the clock. Used to happen at my building until drivers were threatened with progressive discipline up to termination. They are taking work and money from you by working for free.

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist
You can file a grievance over drivers being allowed to work off the clock. Used to happen at my building until drivers were threatened with progressive discipline up to termination. They are taking work and money from you by working for free.
By the time they get there and start helping, I know I am ready to get out of there. 99% of the time they only help if they see you need it so they can get out on time. If they want to walk around the fort I have built with my gas station styrofoam cups, more power to them.

KevinWhipaloo

Are supervisors supposed to help? How often do they help? I've been given 4 trucks all my days, and I see the supervisor occasionally coming in to help. I'm not sure if this is routine or signs of me doing poorly, but they said I'm doing great so far.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Are supervisors supposed to help? How often do they help? I've been given 4 trucks all my days, and I see the supervisor occasionally coming in to help. I'm not sure if this is routine or signs of me doing poorly, but they said I'm doing great so far.
It's all mind games, help or no help as long as you feel overwhelmed they win. you can fax a grievance for hours worked if you worked long enough to have union seniority. They are kind of fun, this one is for less than $15.

FYI 4 trucks has a much different work pattern than 3. You have to sort and work your way forward then take a few backwards every other boxline bin. On a belt it's near impossible to catch up to the first car so I would dngaf.
And try doing a simple bookcase-like load with labels towards the cab and hins visible outward. You save a ton of time for yourself and the drivers being able to see the load order with just a simple glance. Then cram the bulk into the 12 shelf/floor corners as you learn them. 30 pieces for hin 2100 can go towards 2000 or 6999 it really does not matter as long as the stop is big enough to see from far away and most everything else is still in order. You can abandon the bookcase for a denser load pattern later in the day but the trick is to try and maintain it for as long as possible.

Last edited:

KevinWhipaloo

Does anyone have any tips for preloading? The last two days were rough and I needed help at the end of the shift, I'm not sure how common that is.

We have bins.

I concentrate on grabbing 3-4 packages for the same car, but I still fell behind today.

When it comes to larger packages that I can't grab 3-4 at a time, how many should I grab per car?

Should I prioritize smaller packages over big packages?

Any advice for sorting/arranging shelves to help putting things away better?

What else can I do to get better, or at the very least become more productive? The supervisor says I'm doing fine, but I know there's plenty of improvement.

KevinWhipaloo

How common is it for people to try to intimidate new-comers? I worked with a different supervisor and he tried to tell me everything I was doing was wrong, then proceeded to stop to talk to me and tell me I was going too slow, tried to pressure me to get everything.

Other co-workers tried to make jokes, asking if they would see me the next day and what not. Is this common at this position or are they singling me out? My regular supervisor loves me and the co-workers I usually work it treat me well, just a few that are trying to get to me I suppose.

Poop Head

Judge me.
How common is it for people to try to intimidate new-comers? I worked with a different supervisor and he tried to tell me everything I was doing was wrong, then proceeded to stop to talk to me and tell me I was going too slow, tried to pressure me to get everything.

Other co-workers tried to make jokes, asking if they would see me the next day and what not. Is this common at this position or are they singling me out? My regular supervisor loves me and the co-workers I usually work it treat me well, just a few that are trying to get to me I suppose.
You're doing fine! That's how ups is... Couple of jokes here, couple of jokes there, next thing ya know, you're one of us!

One of us....

One of us....

One of us...

KevinWhipaloo

@eats packages We have these, what tips or strategies can you share that works best with them? I have 3 trucks, 300+ pieces each.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 6.18.30 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 6.18.30 AM.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 227

Duc848EVO

I was in your shoes too. I had co-workers making bets that I wouldn't last one day, but here I am 3 months later still grinding it out. A 25 year inside combo guy told me to dish them out when other co-workers would talk :censored2:. Don't let the :censored2: talking get to you....you are there for two reasons, to make money and for the benefits.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I was in your shoes too. I had co-workers making bets that I wouldn't last one day, but here I am 3 months later still grinding it out. A 25 year inside combo guy told me to dish them out when other co-workers would talk :censored2:. Don't let the :censored2: talking get to you....you are there for two reasons, to make money and for the benefits.
Is that you in your profile pic? If so, the Terms of Service state that you must also provide a headshot

Duc848EVO

Is that you in your profile pic? If so, the Terms of Service state that you must also provide a headshot

3. BE CREEPY. Protect privacy, everyone's privacy. You wouldn't like it if you discovered that someone else had posted your name, your face, or a pic of your Mom here. That's creepy, don't be creepy.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
@eats packages We have these, what tips or strategies can you share that works best with them? I have 3 trucks, 300+ pieces each.
Each assignment unfortunately is a little different when it comes to how you select out of bins.
For a 3-car (business?) set with heavy pieces I would do what PT car washer posted. You lose way more time inside the cars than out in the bins. difference between doing 1 piece at a time and having some kind of killer bin strategy is like %20. I put everything these days like a bookshelf first, the same dimension, the same label position, the same visible spot for a written HIN number (that means bag 3000 gets it written bottom left from the label, and bag 5000 gets it written bottm right from the label, lol), goal is to be able to look and instantly know where to place the next envelope, between several other envelopes because all their hins were exposed in the right corner to be able to see it. Play tetris with the business pieces, the car has 12 shelf corners and you save a ton of space in them while leaving single stops closer to the middle/front. You can cheat a little bit for now but eventually it gets to the point that only the last 50 pieces from the whole sort get placed in a manner that is not strictly in bookshelf order.

I got the usual "thank you jesus" from a cover driver yesterday for putting a 20-piece bulk stop (hin 2180) tight up on the back-end of the shelf (hin 6999), or the day before, putting MFR into RDR and taking the 1 piece for RDR into the cab. it's just an incredibly useful thing to think about.

Last edited:

KevinWhipaloo

Thanks for the tips.

Today one of the drivers I load for told me I had a misload on one of the packages at the end of the truck right by the gate. The SPA was right in front of us. He then took it out of the truck and set it right in front of me. I scanned it, showed it to him it was for the right truck, then put it back in. Did he intentionally take it out to mess with me/make me do extra work?

Inputnamehere

Thanks for the tips.

Today one of the drivers I load for told me I had a misload on one of the packages at the end of the truck right by the gate. The SPA was right in front of us. He then took it out of the truck and set it right in front of me. I scanned it, showed it to him it was for the right truck, then put it back in. Did he intentionally take it out to mess with me/make me do extra work?
How in God’s name do you expect us to have the answer to this question?