PT Car Washer

Thanks for the tips.

Today one of the drivers I load for told me I had a misload on one of the packages at the end of the truck right by the gate. The SPA was right in front of us. He then took it out of the truck and set it right in front of me. I scanned it, showed it to him it was for the right truck, then put it back in. Did he intentionally take it out to mess with me/make me do extra work?
Did you check the actual address label. I did the same thing to a PT preload sup last week. It was an off SPA meaning the SPA label did not match the address label.

KevinWhipaloo

I had my first misload today, it was only one. Perhaps the driver did mean it when it was a misload. My scanner showed it was correct however, I don't know. I've been working on the floor for 16 days and 3 in training, does my probation period only count towards the 16 working days on the floor?

Yolo

You're not going to get in trouble for 1 misload. And it was possibly out of your control. Sometimes the system miss sorts packages.

KevinWhipaloo

I'm not sweating it that much, it was my first instance of a misload and it was only 1.

Being 3 weeks in, should I expect myself to be as good as other preloaders? Or does it take some time to get in the rhythm and understanding the most efficient process?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm not sweating it that much, it was my first instance of a misload and it was only 1.

Being 3 weeks in, should I expect myself to be as good as other preloaders? Or does it take some time to get in the rhythm and understanding the most efficient process?

keep choppin wood

KevinWhipaloo

Can drivers get me fired or not keep my job during probation period?

I had another misload yesterday, just one. Totaling 2 misloads on 2 separate days, I'm not sure if my drivers are being malicious and perhaps reporting false misloads or not.

Also, how common is it for drivers to complain over nothing? Today one of my regular drivers had no 8000s, but plenty 6000s. I had the 6000s full, placed a 6900 at the 5900, then filled the 8000s with whatever left over 6000s I couldn't fit on its shelf. They asked me before I left why they had 3 shelves with 6000s. Is this a whiny driver or am I not supposed to do that?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

I had another misload yesterday, just one. Totaling 2 misloads on 2 separate days, I'm not sure if my drivers are being malicious and perhaps reporting false misloads or not.

Also, how common is it for drivers to complain over nothing? Today one of my regular drivers had no 8000s, but plenty 6000s. I had the 6000s full, placed a 6900 at the 5900, then filled the 8000s with whatever left over 6000s I couldn't fit on its shelf. They asked me before I left why they had 3 shelves with 6000s. Is this a whiny driver or am I not supposed to do that?

Okay.
So can drivers get you let go during probation?

Maybe. If they are in with management pretty well, and they keep complaining about you, there's a good chance you won't be hired on.

Your misloads are almost assuredly not fake. Drivers aren't going to risk their job on an integrity charge just to screw with your head.
Scan EVERYTHING. It will slow you down, but you need to not misload.

Drivers complain a lot.
They also have a lot of valid gripes.
If you are going to custom load, (load things differently from the HIN numbers), you NEED to keep things together, and let your driver know what you did.

Keep your chin up, and keep on trying.
Everyone sucks when they start. You'll only become good at preloading with practice. (Or so I'm told.)

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Drivers complain you must be joking
:thumbup::thumbup:

KevinWhipaloo

Okay.
So can drivers get you let go during probation?

Maybe. If they are in with management pretty well, and they keep complaining about you, there's a good chance you won't be hired on.

Your misloads are almost assuredly not fake. Drivers aren't going to risk their job on an integrity charge just to screw with your head.
Scan EVERYTHING. It will slow you down, but you need to not misload.

Drivers complain a lot.
They also have a lot of valid gripes.
If you are going to custom load, (load things differently from the HIN numbers), you NEED to keep things together, and let your driver know what you did.

Keep your chin up, and keep on trying.
Everyone sucks when they start. You'll only become good at preloading with practice. (Or so I'm told.)

The only time I don't load by HIN is when bulking, and I put them in the back.

Well I hope tomorrow is better.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

they dont like things on the opposite side of the truck

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile

You should both be complaining to the dispatcher, for making both of your jobs more difficult.

KevinWhipaloo

Some days are good, some are not so good.

Yesterday was great, I got a compliment from my driver and I like to think I did everything well.

Today, not so great. I had the top bin with 4 trucks, and no matter what sorting I did I could never clear the bin. Taking heavy packages off the top bin wore me out as well.

Questions for improvement:

1. What do I do with big packages? Do I leave them sitting out? Should I leave out big packages from 5000-8999?

2. If I've already loaded an area and a big package comes in that needs to get in that area, did I make a mistake of loading that area too quickly? Or are encounters like that natural?

3. When do I take care of the bags with small packages? Do I prioritize the packages in the bins or bags with small packages?

4. If I get slammed in the end and the drivers have to help, is that a bad thing?

5. Is every driver different with their pickiness in load quality? I've noticed some drivers seemed to be more forgiving and tolerant to non-perfect shelves more than others.

6. How do people not pass their probation? I've arrived to work early or on time everyday and as to my knowledge I've only had 2 total misloads on 2 separate days. My supervisor hasn't given me much feedback, good or bad. They just tell me to come in everyday. I occasionally get scolded for running or throwing packages though.

7. How do I recover properly to feel fresh for the next day? Yesterday I felt energetic, while today more lethargic. Does coffee/caffeine help? I don't typically drink coffee/caffeine. I have a good recovery regimen from being an athlete such as eating and sleep well, but I'm starting to feel tired.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Some days are good, some are not so good.

Yesterday was great, I got a compliment from my driver and I like to think I did everything well.

Today, not so great. I had the top bin with 4 trucks, and no matter what sorting I did I could never clear the bin. Taking heavy packages off the top bin wore me out as well.

Questions for improvement:

1. What do I do with big packages? Do I leave them sitting out? Should I leave out big packages from 5000-8999?

2. If I've already loaded an area and a big package comes in that needs to get in that area, did I make a mistake of loading that area too quickly? Or are encounters like that natural?

3. When do I take care of the bags with small packages? Do I prioritize the packages in the bins or bags with small packages?

4. If I get slammed in the end and the drivers have to help, is that a bad thing?

5. Is every driver different with their pickiness in load quality? I've noticed some drivers seemed to be more forgiving and tolerant to non-perfect shelves more than others.

6. How do people not pass their probation? I've arrived to work early or on time everyday and as to my knowledge I've only had 2 total misloads on 2 separate days. My supervisor hasn't given me much feedback, good or bad. They just tell me to come in everyday. I occasionally get scolded for running or throwing packages though.

7. How do I recover properly to feel fresh for the next day? Yesterday I felt energetic, while today more lethargic. Does coffee/caffeine help? I don't typically drink coffee/caffeine. I have a good recovery regimen from being an athlete such as eating and sleep well, but I'm starting to feel tired.

All my answers are just opinions. Drivers may feel differently.

1. Depends how big, and when you get them. If they can fit under a shelf, in the area under where they would go on the shelf, load them. Otherwise leave them.

2. Big stuff always on the floor, when possible. Smalls get priority for shelf space.

3. Surepost? Leave it out. That can generally get tossed in in a matter of a minute or two at the end. Unless you learn your routes well enough to know where you will have free space in the truck.

4. My drivers help me about half the days. If they want to work for free, I won't stop them. If they don't want to work for free, that's fine too. Obviously it's best if you wrap up before driver start time. But for some centers, that doesn't become an option.

5. Yes. Some drivers are complete jerks. Some are absolute saints. There really isn't an age/demographic that is nicest. Some young drivers remember the preload, and know that it is rough, so they're nice to you, while others just want things to be perfect so they can get off by 4. Some old drivers feel sorry for the preloaders because they have seen the company get progressively worse, while others just want everything perfect so they can have an easy coast into retirement.

6. Lots of new people can't manage a 5 day work week. I've seen one use the N word while talking to the center manager. Some of them have 5 misloads a day. Don't underestimate stupid people.

7. Give it time. You gotta adjust your body clock to mornings, and then figure out a good sleep rhythm. You won't probably figure it out for a while. :)

KevinWhipaloo

Thanks for the support.

To follow up:

2. They're not the biggest packages, about the size of 3-4 pillows stacked on top of each other.

3. Surepost are bulk bags correct? Typically for a whole area like RDR, RDC, or RDL? I mean to talk about bags that contain small packages for all the trucks, which requires me to unload them and sort them out. I dump them on the floor then sort it out there, I was told to dump them in the bin then sort it out there, which would be better?

4. I notice that a lot of the drivers help their loaders too, just recently when I've been moving around that these drivers have. The old spot I was in, the drivers never helped unless they had to leave.

5. Can a driver get me fired or lose my job during this probation period? I'm close to 20 days of my 30, I've had good feedback and don't hear too many bad, I'm not sure if they're withholding the bad.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Thanks for the support.

To follow up:

2. They're not the biggest packages, about the size of 3-4 pillows stacked on top of each other.

3. Surepost are bulk bags correct? Typically for a whole area like RDR, RDC, or RDL? I mean to talk about bags that contain small packages for all the trucks, which requires me to unload them and sort them out. I dump them on the floor then sort it out there, I was told to dump them in the bin then sort it out there, which would be better?

4. I notice that a lot of the drivers help their loaders too, just recently when I've been moving around that these drivers have. The old spot I was in, the drivers never helped unless they had to leave.

5. Can a driver get me fired or lose my job during this probation period? I'm close to 20 days of my 30, I've had good feedback and don't hear too many bad, I'm not sure if they're withholding the bad.

2. I'd put them under the shelf, or leave them out.

3. Not entirely sure, since I don't know how some hubs/bigger centers work. We only bag stuff that is going to the post offices, at my center. Meaning they are mostly small things in the bags. You might need to ask people at your center, if that isn't the same.

4. Some drivers just won't help. Count on no help, and then if they help bail you out, consider it a courtesy.

5. Don't worry about it. Most drivers will understand you are new. If they don't like something you are doing, tell them if a supervisor trained you to do it that way. That'll work for a goodly while, till you figure out the right way to do things.

Always talk to your drivers. Make sure they know you want to help them out however you can. If they know you are trying, they'll cut you a lot more slack for mistakes.