Days

How common is it for people to try to intimidate new-comers? I worked with a different supervisor and he tried to tell me everything I was doing was wrong, then proceeded to stop to talk to me and tell me I was going too slow, tried to pressure me to get everything.

Other co-workers tried to make jokes, asking if they would see me the next day and what not. Is this common at this position or are they singling me out? My regular supervisor loves me and the co-workers I usually work it treat me well, just a few that are trying to get to me I suppose.

They just like to pick on you

watdaflock?

What are some signs that a preload wouldn't pass their probation?

What are some signs that a preload would pass their probation?

I'm about 20 days in of my 30, and I haven't heard anything from anyone. I've never been late or missed a day, I start nearly on the same time as everyone else. They had a few people out this week so I had filled in their spot, but I'm not sure if they're using me as a temp or not.
If sups are not talking to you, you're doing great. Most likely you'll make it pass probation no problem. Your hours will prob' still suck until you move up the totem pole some.

watdaflock?

I got the flu early Saturday morning and slept the whole today. Today I can hardly walk from my body aches. Since I'm about 20 days in my probation, do I go into work anyway and tell them about? Or just call in sick? Should I get a hold of my HR person?
Everyone who works nearby would appreciate you calling in when sick. The only person who cares about making it pass the probation period, is you.
If you've only called in when really sick, don't worry about it.

KevinWhipaloo

I'm still working so I think I made it past my probation.

I worked today, Saturday, which is my 6th day. I was told in orientation that my 6th day is all OT pay, but when I checked my timecard, it's still saying it's my regular rate. Who should I contact about this?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I'm still working so I think I made it past my probation.

I worked today, Saturday, which is my 6th day. I was told in orientation that my 6th day is all OT pay, but when I checked my timecard, it's still saying it's my regular rate. Who should I contact about this?
First, you need to talk about this with your immediate supervisor.

If they won't fix it, then find your steward. He'll walk you through the steps to follow after that.

I have had stuff show up as straight time pay in the timecard viewer before, that got fixed by payday.

So it may be they haven't fixed your punch yet. Hang tight, but definitely bring it up with a supervisor to let them know it doesn't look right.

KevinWhipaloo

What sort of load quality do the Drivers want?

I arrange the boxes on the shelves in order, while throwing the bags behind. I avoid stacking high to prevent packages from falling when driving or turning. The space underneath the shelves (FDR, FDL, etc.) I try to arrange in order as well. Will Drivers always be unhappy with the load quality no matter what?

In general, do Drivers not talk or acknowledge their preloaders?

I see some people have good relationships with their Drivers, even coming in early to help them load. Mine however, do not. No matter how well or convenient I make their load, they outright ignore me before they leave or in the hub. Should I not think much of it? Do some purposely treat their preloaders poorly in hope they work harder?

AwashBwashCwash

I arrange the boxes on the shelves in order, while throwing the bags behind. I avoid stacking high to prevent packages from falling when driving or turning. The space underneath the shelves (FDR, FDL, etc.) I try to arrange in order as well. Will Drivers always be unhappy with the load quality no matter what?

I see some people have good relationships with their Drivers, even coming in early to help them load. Mine however, do not. No matter how well or convenient I make their load, they outright ignore me before they leave or in the hub. Should I not think much of it? Do some purposely treat their preloaders poorly in hope they work harder?

It depends on the driver of course.
Some of these guys are miserable little toads and will act like pricks no matter what you do. Others are generally pretty cool and understand what it's like to be on preload. For the latter guys, I tend to focus on their trucks and make everything as convenient for them as possible. For the former guys, I just throw things wherever they land. If they're not going to be happy no matter what I do, no sense in making their truck nice.

As far as people ignoring you, people are so used to newcomers quitting or getting fired that they don't really bother getting to know them. Once you've been here a year or two someone might start saying good morning to you. As you've probably noticed by now, this isn't exactly the best place to find sunshine and roses.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

throw everything up the middle and run

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat

The people who make the sheets would move stops around (2k would be moved to 3k, big dump stop up front but it's his 2nd stop, etc.) Drivers would be irritated about it but would not blame me. Then again, Southwest is more lax then Northeast

JJinVA

Ive unloaded trailers for a year now. Preload sup never has me SPA, load trucks, work small-sort/pick-off/split its always either unload or sort. On the sort end, one of the belts is about 6" above my shoulders and I'm 6'0". And of course every trampoline, generator, mattress, tire, bag of dog food goes to that belt, because of course it does...

I started driving last peak season and the dude loading my truck had misloads everyday. And they werent just around the corner, they were like 45 minutes away because for some reason, the dispatcher doesnt put routes in order next to each other so if there was a misload it wouldnt be a SUPER big deal, just run it and be done. Still dont understand that but anyways. There was one day where he misloaded 15 stops which accounted for 22 missing packages lol. But the truth is, Im not sure I would have done a better job really. The loaders are stretched thin and almost always load multiple trucks, and with 5 unload teams rolling full blast during peak, the amount of volume coming down the belt at once is insane. So I brought him a coffee everyday regardless and gave him a $100 giftcard at Christmas because I know its not easy

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Ive unloaded trailers for a year now. Preload sup never has me SPA, load trucks, work small-sort/pick-off/split its always either unload or sort. On the sort end, one of the belts is about 6" above my shoulders and I'm 6'0". And of course every trampoline, generator, mattress, tire, bag of dog food goes to that belt, because of course it does...

I started driving last peak season and the dude loading my truck had misloads everyday. And they werent just around the corner, they were like 45 minutes away because for some reason, the dispatcher doesnt put routes in order next to each other so if there was a misload it wouldnt be a SUPER big deal, just run it and be done. Still dont understand that but anyways. There was one day where he misloaded 15 stops which accounted for 22 missing packages lol. But the truth is, Im not sure I would have done a better job really. The loaders are stretched thin and almost always load multiple trucks, and with 5 unload teams rolling full blast during peak, the amount of volume coming down the belt at once is insane. So I brought him a coffee everyday regardless and gave him a $100 giftcard at Christmas because I know its not easy
Probably a seasonal.

FreedomOne

Don't worry about what the drivers think. Some are nice, and others will bitch about everything. Ignore them. Load by the pal label. No customs loads, your not a damn magician. If they want it in a different section they need to get dispatch to change it. Try to be ocd and load in sequential order. If it's large or heavy for the shelf or just won't fit in your order sequence load it on the floor as close below the order spot as you can. Leave the wheel wells for larger packages. In the end, load the shelves, load the floor, and stack the middle. Load from the belt, not the floor. The less bending you do the better. Best of luck.