time allowances

UPSGUY72

One thing I did (don't know if it is correct), but if you have 2 40lb packages going to the same place (mark 1 over 70).

Or if I had large packages to deliver, and it took several dolly trips into the BLDG... per trip, I would mark down 1 over 70.

(I had a computer store, getting large boxes all the time, 10 -30 per trip)... in and out thru the front door....with dolly.... was a pain....and time consuming.
So, eventually, per trip inside, I would mark 1 over 70.

We call that lying, cheating or be untruthful . Just beacuse it takes a couple of trips to complete a stop doesn't mean mean you can say you have package over 70 lbs.

If you truly have a single package that is over 70 lbs that another thing.

happybob

Feeders
One thing I did (don't know if it is correct), but if you have 2 40lb packages going to the same place (mark 1 over 70).

Or if I had large packages to deliver, and it took several dolly trips into the BLDG... per trip, I would mark down 1 over 70.

(I had a computer store, getting large boxes all the time, 10 -30 per trip)... in and out thru the front door....with dolly.... was a pain....and time consuming.
Maybe you can add this to the reason why you are not working for UPS any longer Klein. You DO NOT add package weight together to come up with an over 70. That is, and always has been for each package weighing over 70. How many trips into and out of a building also does not add up to an over 70. Jesus man, this guy would be fired in a heartbeat for this.

To the person that started this post.
There really is no other way for you to do the job, other than how you have been doing it. Record the packages the same way you had been. You start trying to be creative and you will start looking for another job. Take your lunch and breaks at your contractual times. Notify your center when you think you will have missed business deliveries. They will probably need to give you house calls that you can do at the end of your day, after all the business stops and pickups are done. If you fill your truck with pickups it will be up to them to take some of your pickups off your route and have someone else do them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Nothing plans a route like miles. If you have a route with a good edd order then you are screwed......if you are like a lot of us, then making a bigger loop to get your deliveries off may help you a bit.... just be careful........I avoid this because I can finish early and I want to run my route in as tight a loop as possible..... I also had an issue where my route would not plan worth a damn.... had the reputation as one of the worst planning routes in our center...... but now I have a huge bulk delivery stop and management has me running two package cars per day and I get an extra 36 miles out of it.... adds at least an hour onto my planned day this way...... about 20-30 percent of the routes in my center are so far out of whack that if you ran them in trace according to edd you would be out till 10 pm every night.... my route is like this..... I totally ignore edd.........nobody knows how to run my route better than I do......that includes IE (especially)

GB, in addition to the extra 36 miles you get daily, you are also getting an additional allowance for the double trip in your DIAD.

I do take issue with one statement that you wrote: If you have a route with a good edd order then you are screwed......my EDD is 99% and I don't feel as though I am screwed. I get just under an hour a day in OT which is plenty for me.

cino321

ok i know 90% of you will say not to play #'s game etc. but the ive had a problem where my business route has not been planning to 8hrs. ive gone from 80-85 stops to 95-100 becuase my volume has gone from ~350 to under 300. i know have an aditional block of business to get the stop count up. we all know that 100 stops with 299 pieces is alot more work than 80 stops with 375 pieces but my plan still does not make 8 sometimes.

what im looking for is how exactly to maximize the allowance for the work im doing (not cheating).

i know alot of the basics
enter over 70s
enter floor numbers for 2nd 3rd floor del.

with pick-ups we are instructed to at least scan air/international. if i scan the grounds as well will that give me any additional allowance? any other tips?

the problem is when i dont plan over 8hrs i end up with a house split the next day which makes it impossible. i end up having to meet someone to take my pick-ups in then run the houses at the end of the day. or skip lunch which i wont do!

I'm not sure I understand... you are saying that your route is not getting enough work?

GeorgiaBrown

Upstate,

I meant in his case as far as increasing his miles..... if his edd is out of whack then he could follow it to the letter and get extra miles which would help his plan and his backside would be covered because he would be 100 percent in trace...... (however, having said that....... I am certain that IE would solve that problem really quick if it suited them)

klein

Für Meno :)
Maybe you can add this to the reason why you are not working for UPS any longer Klein. You DO NOT add package weight together to come up with an over 70. That is, and always has been for each package weighing over 70. How many trips into and out of a building also does not add up to an over 70. Jesus man, this guy would be fired in a heartbeat for this.

And that is why deminsional weight doesn't work as 70lbs for drivers, and it sucks !
A huge spolier or fender for Mazda that takes 1/3 of your truck space, and only weighs 25 lbs.... you don't get time allowance for, even though you had to hop over it for half the day, and move it several times.

Same as my computer desktops, boxes atleast 3' X 3' X 3' but only weigh 40 lbs.

I got dragged into the office before, why this stop has taking so long.
Well, it's not 30 envelopes or small boxes, I'm taking into that store.

And, I'm been told by fellow drivers to mark it as such. Otherwise, I get no time allowance at all.

And, I didn't do that for Walmart or Homeoffice Depot.. where they have docks.... but stops with sidewalks, entering thru frontdoor, bringing them to the back.. had to.

GeorgiaBrown

Klein,

The scuttlebutt is out there that UPS is eventually going to take into account dimensional weight as it relates to our allowances......something about the weight as it is entered into the shipping database being converted into more or less time automatically...... still pretty vague.... but I have heard management rumors ..... I would imagine this is long range planning though

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Big Brown - you get nothing for Rec B and Rec C.... at least in my building you don't...

GoBrown - IE does not dispatch routes...ever....your center team does.

UPSGUY72

And that is why deminsional weight doesn't work as 70lbs for drivers, and it sucks !
A huge spolier or fender for Mazda that takes 1/3 of your truck space, and only weighs 25 lbs.... you don't get time allowance for, even though you had to hop over it for half the day, and move it several times.

Same as my computer desktops, boxes atleast 3' X 3' X 3' but only weigh 40 lbs.

I got dragged into the office before, why this stop has taking so long.
Well, it's not 30 envelopes or small boxes, I'm taking into that store.

And, I'm been told by fellow drivers to mark it as such. Otherwise, I get no time allowance at all.

And, I didn't do that for Walmart or Homeoffice Depot.. where they have docks.... but stops with sidewalks, entering thru frontdoor, bringing them to the back.. had to.

When you got dragged in did you tell them the truth. "it took so long because I had to make ( ) trips with the hand cart" ?

Just wondering why did you get fired ??????????

klein

Für Meno :)
When you got dragged in did you tell them the truth. "it took so long because I had to make ( ) trips with the hand cart" ?

Just wondering why did you get fired ??????????

No, actually a less likely situation.
They wondered why I spent 35 minutes at this and this adress.
It was darn Walmart !
They only have 1 dock, probably had to wait 3-5 minutes to get to it (any longer, I just move on, and go back later).

But , told them, delivered 128 packages, and picked up another 78.

(they didn't even know that, dummies).

Got fired for a different reason.
Like many days, couldn't take my lunch to get back to the center at time (cut it short, so I had 30 min left at the end of day), after parking my truck, doing cash and turn in... and walked accross the street to have a beer (taking my last break) big no no.

No big deal. I'm done.

GeorgiaBrown

Dragon,

I don't know about other buildings but guys and gals here in Georgia are pissed about IE cutting into time allowances and increasing work loads on drivers.....(these same drivers have been on routes for years {10 plus} and know how many stops and miles used to plan their routes....... those numbers don't even plan to a six hour day these days......much less eight) and I'm not talking about pre-diad either........center manager's, onroads and dispatchers all blame IE for this.... their (management) words....not hourlies.... so yeah there is a lot of resentment from package car drivers towards IE..... at least in our building.....primarily because there is this blanket refusal from the higher ups to admit they have changed the numbers....drivers are pissed because they know the truth and hate being lied to more than anything else..... if management wants to cut out bonus and increase workloads then so be it....(that is their right)......just be man enough to come out and say it..... don't be a coward and a liar and expect us to keep on eating $%&^ and liking it just because we wear brown....... I can't speak for anybody else....

UPSGUY72

No, actually a less likely situation.
They wondered why I spent 35 minutes at this and this adress.
It was darn Walmart !
They only have 1 dock, probably had to wait 3-5 minutes to get to it (any longer, I just move on, and go back later).

But , told them, delivered 128 packages, and picked up another 78.

(they didn't even know that, dummies).

Got fired for a different reason.
Like many days, couldn't take my lunch to get back to the center at time (cut it short, so I had 30 min left at the end of day), after parking my truck, doing cash and turn in... and walked accross the street to have a beer (taking my last break) big no no.

No big deal. I'm done.

Oh ya I remeber now. Your a good example for what not to do.

IF you had just done things like you where suppose to you would have never had a problem.

The whole reaason routes get all messed up is that people don't take there breaks and full lunch in order to get in early. We call those people runners and gunners. Then when someone else takes over there route management wonders why it takes the new guy so long.

Somedays the packages just don't come off as fast as other days if I have to explain that I had a bad day so be it. But I not going have to explain why I was untruthul (lied) about stops to make the number look good.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
HappyBob - IE does not dispatch routes - they do not tell centers to put all business on a route - that is a dispatch supervisor doing it or manager telling him to do it or knows nothing about the route. IE post numbers on a report and suggests I run this many routes. I do not dispatch their plan because I do not answer for their plan. I dispatch my plan and answer for my plan. I normally put 1-2 routes above the plan and run 82 - 88% in range daily. That means for my size center that only 3-4 people work over 9.5 daily everyone else is on the way home to their most important stop by 645pm daily.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
HappyBob - IE does not dispatch routes - they do not tell centers to put all business on a route - that is a dispatch supervisor doing it or manager telling him to do it or knows nothing about the route. IE post numbers on a report and suggests I run this many routes. I do not dispatch their plan because I do not answer for their plan. I dispatch my plan and answer for my plan. I normally put 1-2 routes above the plan and run 82 - 88% in range daily. That means for my size center that only 3-4 people work over 9.5 daily everyone else is on the way home to their most important stop by 645pm daily.

You have no idea. There is no suggesting at UPS

Centers ARE TOLD how many routes to run, no more no less

The dispatch supervisors job is to move the work evenly throughout the working runs. He will not add routes to the center plan unless there was a jump in planned stops for that day. PERIOD

All I do know is that the contract negotiations will end in a strike in 2013. PERIOD. Drivers are not robots.

Fed-Ex wins

Game Over, Unfortunatly

BROWN430

sounds like we need u in our center. every monday and some fridays we have our downtown route busted out and that extra work goes on 2 or 3 drivers. usually about 100 bus. and 30 or 40 resi stops. I dont get any of the stops but I have to cover the some of the pickup off of one of the guys getting the extra del work . Then we hear all day from costomers why they are getting all of their deli. late. doesn't make sense to do this if we are trying to get new business.when u are that busy all day u don't have alot of extra time when a customer has a question for u.

brownrodster

Don't do any of that. Refer to another thread on this forum where a guy got fired for entering over 70's that he did not deliver.