time allowances

brownrodster

By the way...... I am not advocating padding your miles..........I just know that miles help you plan...... and I am also aware that a lot of drivers do this (I know because I see them cruising along on my route on a daily basis & and I hear things..... as we all do).....If your edd does not make sense and seems like it would have you too far spread out..... then try running it in 100 percent edd order one day and see if it increases your miles.....(if I did this for my route.....I could add easily 10 miles per day to my total)

Miles do help a lot. However, they only help if you are getting those miles fast enough. If you have any 50+ MPH zones where you can speed around for a while then you can rack up miles fast enough to make yourself look better on paper. But if you are simply racking up miles for the sake of gaining time then you can and will be fired.

klein

Für Meno :)
Oh ya I remeber now. Your a good example for what not to do.

IF you had just done things like you where suppose to you would have never had a problem.

The whole reaason routes get all messed up is that people don't take there breaks and full lunch in order to get in early. We call those people runners and gunners. Then when someone else takes over there route management wonders why it takes the new guy so long.

Somedays the packages just don't come off as fast as other days if I have to explain that I had a bad day so be it. But I not going have to explain why I was untruthul (lied) about stops to make the number look good.

First of all, I got good training on my route actually. The precessor of 8 years trained me for a week.
It's rural, totally outside the city.
No lunchbreaks were to be taken.

And that's how I got trained. They paid for "code 5", (no lunch - straight hours).
And, he still needed help to finish his run on most days.

Then, they decided once I was on it... "hey no more code 5" for anyone. (all of out of towners were getting it).
So, now , I needed to work an hr faster.... big problem. Or call in that I really needed to work during my lunch.
Did that, lots ! But never got paid for it.
Basically worked for free for an hr.

And so have many others.
I wasn't the only stupid one, that took the final lunch after work.
How do you think I got caught ?
It was another driver on his/her lunchbreak (after work), that I told, hey, lets go for a cold one.

To get in early ? No, I was always the last one in... just to get in at time (7pm cutoff ). I worked in a satillite center... the main center is 8:30pm cutoff, wished I had that.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
One thing I did (don't know if it is correct), but if you have 2 40lb packages going to the same place (mark 1 over 70).

Or if I had large packages to deliver, and it took several dolly trips into the BLDG... per trip, I would mark down 1 over 70.

(I had a computer store, getting large boxes all the time, 10 -30 per trip)... in and out thru the front door....with dolly.... was a pain....and time consuming.
So, eventually, per trip inside, I would mark 1 over 70.

This is a good way to lose your job, there is a reason Klein is no longer with UPS!!!

grgrcr88

Klein, sometimes I wonder hoe you ever find your own house much less ever delivered to any!! You my friend (sorry to be so rude here) are an Idiot!!!!!

klein

This is a good way to lose your job, there is a reason Klein is no longer with UPS!!!

Yes, and that is why almost 6 mths later, after my termination, no one has been able to do my run in a timely matter.
Good for UPS, because now it takes 1.5 drivers to do my run.
(pickup meet, so the driver can stay out until 9pm) which is illegal, but a upcomming supervisor was working it, so, over 12 hrs don't count for mangement).
Last I heard, (Friday), 2 are driving along.
Even better, double pay.

And, like everyone else that does his/her best to get the job done, works thier butt off, then gets canned for doing so...
You think I ever order anything thru UPS now ?
Ofcourse not.
I shop and sell on e-bay. It's all Fedex or postoffice now. Shipping or receiving.
If a shipper only ships via UPS, I will find another seller. PERIOD.

I know, I worked my best and very hardest.
Only had 1 single sick day, and wouldn't even get paid an optional for that ! What a crazy outfit !

grgrcr88

Good, perhaps you should start spreading your insanity on a fed-ex forum! Of course if you did that it would be alot less amusing around here. Never mind, stay as long as you can i need a good laugh every day!!!

rocket man

A WIPE GET THE BIG PICTURE ITS PART OF YOUR PERFORMANCE LET THEM WRITE YOU UP THEY WILL GET WRITERS CRAMP BEFOR YOU GET IN TROUBLE . THEY WILL FIX YOUR ROUTE FOR A REALISTIC TIME ALLOWENCE MY COMPUTER IS NOT BROKEN I like CAPS.

some1else

guys i very carefully worded my original post. i just wanted to make sure that i was maximizing the plan for the work i am doing and getting all credit due. i know how people cheat and am not interested in it.

i do take my lunch 12-1 everyday. the issue is i have more stops with less pieces on my business which actually takes more time but plans less. In addition i am getting house splits on top of that becuase im still not making 8. as mentioned above several veteran drivers have mentioned that this route seems to have had its allowances cut...
again we all know 85 stops w/ 350pieces is alot less work than 100 stops with 300 pieces... then on top of the 100 im getting 15-20 houses the day after i dont plan 8

GeorgiaBrown

I respect your honesty......... my experience tells me that you can plan on that route staying screwed up..... when you lose time allowance due to whatever reason (IE, center manager....little green men)...it is almost an Act of Congress (and we all know how that goes) to get it fixed again....just do your best and if you can't get that residential split they keep piling on you then you just can't get it done...... sooner or later (probably later) the light will go on somewhere.......or you could bid to a better route.........a lot of guys I know have taken this avenue because they have NO faith that UPS will fix problems they (the drivers) see as obvious as it relates to their time allowance and workload expectations.....good luck.......I know your frustration.

Just_another_day_at_work

Yes, and that is why almost 6 mths later, after my termination, no one has been able to do my run in a timely matter.
Good for UPS, because now it takes 1.5 drivers to do my run.
(pickup meet, so the driver can stay out until 9pm) which is illegal, but a upcomming supervisor was working it, so, over 12 hrs don't count for mangement).
Last I heard, (Friday), 2 are driving along.
Even better, double pay.

And, like everyone else that does his/her best to get the job done, works thier butt off, then gets canned for doing so...
You think I ever order anything thru UPS now ?
Ofcourse not.
I shop and sell on e-bay. It's all Fedex or postoffice now. Shipping or receiving.
If a shipper only ships via UPS, I will find another seller. PERIOD.

I know, I worked my best and very hardest.
Only had 1 single sick day, and wouldn't even get paid an optional for that ! What a crazy outfit !

Dude what I don't get if you hate UPS than why the heck you here? Now I got some bad days, but I love my job and the company. For me seems like you missing UPS if you know who is doing your work right now and you are on BC. Why you are not ordering nothing by UPS anymore? I mean really what's the reason? Because you fired yourself drinking on the job? So you blame it on... I mean come on... :dissapointed:

klein

Dude what I don't get if you hate UPS than why the heck you here? Now I got some bad days, but I love my job and the company. For me seems like you missing UPS if you know who is doing your work right now and you are on BC. Why you are not ordering nothing by UPS anymore? I mean really what's the reason? Because you fired yourself drinking on the job? So you blame it on... I mean come on... :dissapointed:

If it would have been just the beer...(after my shift), ok., no problem.
But, soo many other things , I won't even care to mention.
In short, they treat you like crap, and like animals.

And , now I even see it on BC, how long term employees get fired, just because of a diad entry.
So much for loyalty. Which every employee gives, but then gets nothing in return.

brownIEman

You have no idea. There is no suggesting at UPS

Centers ARE TOLD how many routes to run, no more no less

The dispatch supervisors job is to move the work evenly throughout the working runs. He will not add routes to the center plan unless there was a jump in planned stops for that day. PERIOD

All I do know is that the contract negotiations will end in a strike in 2013. PERIOD. Drivers are not robots.

Fed-Ex wins

Game Over, Unfortunatly

Heffernan, you are not correct, at least not for every center. There has been, and still continues to be centers that defy the IE Dark Lord(manager). Many of them get away with it. The problem is many centers have given up running a different plan than the one that comes down the pike from IE, because they are tired of getting kicked around.

The whole basis of the plans, is to improve production and reduce cost. IE puts out a plan indicating it want x number of stops per car dispatched, and that under the plan, the driver paid day should be so much thus drilling eventually down to cost per piece. How much did it cost UPS to deliver and pick up that volume in that center.

So here is what happens. A center manger says KMA to IE and runs his own plans, add routes, thus reducing stops per car. I was witness to a good friend being a new dispatcher do just this. One day he runs the IE plan, bricks out the cars, the drivers complained, alot, and came in with an some high average paid day. So the following day, he says screw this, I am going to help my guys out and add routes. The volume and stops were almost identical. He adds two routes, reduces stops per car. Lightens everyones load a bit. So guess what? The drivers he tried to help, screwed him blind and left him in the wind to twist. Mind you, I do not believe they did it on purpose, but do it they did. The center with more routes out, more drivers on road, and the same volume, came in at exactly the SAME driver paid day. He lightened the load and the drivers did not bring it in any earlier.

So, cost went up, production went down. Who here thinks the IE manager, the Div. Manager, the Dist Opps Manager, and the District Manager would think this was a good idea? Who here thinks they should think it is a good idea? All those mentioned above in this paragraph danced on my buddies skull on a conference call. And he did not defy IE again.

Now, what if he had used some relationship and communication skills? What if he had PCM'd all the drivers, let them know what was up, and let them know he needed their help so he could help them? Saw a center manager who had great relationships with his people do just that once. He too defied IE, he added routes, ran his own plan, not theirs. But he talked to his drivers, made it clear what he needed, and they respected and trusted him. Guess what? The paid day went down, and the cost per piece went lower than what it had been under the original IE plan.

So guess what the IE manager had to say to this defiant center manager on the next divisional conference call? Not a blessed thing. He knew that if he piped up about the center manager running his own plan, the center manager would have pointed out that it worked better, and the IE's bosses, the Opps manager and the Dist manager would have told him to STFU. Politely and profesionaly, but the message would have been clear.

brownIEman

Where's BrownIEman???

I DOUBT that entering a floor number in the address field affects your numbers at all. I've heard it (here at BC), but I don't believe it.

I want the FACTS!!!!

Entering the floor number in DIAD does not affect the amount of time you are allowed for that stop.

There are allowances added for flights of stairs and elevator rides, but these are used to make the allowance for a typical stop in a given unit during the time study rides. Once the time for a typical stop is calculated for a unit, every time you make a stop in that unit you get that same allowance.

Last edited:

brownIEman

All I do know is that the contract negotiations will end in a strike in 2013. PERIOD. Drivers are not robots.

Fed-Ex wins

Game Over, Unfortunatly

Heffernan, I hope you are wrong on this one, but fear you may be correct. If things do not change in the cost structure, we are heading for a big show down in 2013. UPS has to do something to redress the huge premium it pays over what our competitors do. So far, the solution has been to just get more and more out of our service providers. But as you say, Drivers are not robots, and there has to be some limit as to how far that can go.

If there is a strike, you are correct, it will be game over for UPS, at least as the company it is today. The UPS leadership know this, so there will be tremendous pressure to get an agreement no matter what.

However, if the cost UPS pays for each of our employees keeps getting farther and farther ahead of what our competitors pay, and yet we cannot rely on being able to get more and more production out of our people, we will become less and less competitive. So, if UPS agrees to a contract that does nothing to control cost growth, it will be agreeing to a contract that will see its business siphoned off to the competition. Not as noisy or quick a death as a strike, but in the end, the same result, Fed-Ex wins, game over.

Hopefully, smarter folks will be able to find a middle ground, wher UPS drivers still make more than anyone else in the industry, but not to such a degree that UPS cannot become competitive again.

softshoe

However, if the cost UPS pays for each of our employees keeps getting farther and farther ahead of what our competitors pay, and yet we cannot rely on being able to get more and more production out of our people, we will become less and less competitive.

However, if the cost UPS pays for each of our SUPERVISORS keeps getting getting farther and farther ahead of what our competitors pay, and yet we cannot rely on being able to get production out of our SUPERVISORS, we will be less and less competitive.

DS

Fenderbender
what im looking for is how exactly to maximize the allowance for the work im doing (not cheating).
The biggest time allowance is for miles.
Do your air first,NO GROUND JUST AIR.This will increase your stop count,and give you miles.It may waste fuel,but your stop count will go down,and your sups will look good on paper,and after all thats all that really matters.

DS

Fenderbender
Drivers are not robots, and there has to be some limit as to how far that can go.

and yet we cannot rely on being able to get more and more production out of our people, we will become less and less competitive. .

Heres my solution.Get rid of preload sups and preloaders.Each driver loads his own car at 7:30 am. delivers air and ground and punches out 5PM A second wave of drivers would start at 10:30 to cover LIB pkgs,overdispatched drivers,5 ton drivers and do the late pickups.
This way Scott Davis can make $250 million this year and stop putting all the ridiculous production crap on us drivers.

Theichii

forget a couple packages here and there and go back to deliver them. I have the same problem when i run one of the unassigned routes in my building. When someone else runs it they get 120 stops when i run it i get 140...pisses me off.:biting: