time allowances

brownrodster

Heres my solution.Get rid of preload sups and preloaders.Each driver loads his own car at 7:30 am. delivers air and ground and punches out 5PM A second wave of drivers would start at 10:30 to cover LIB pkgs,overdispatched drivers,5 ton drivers and do the late pickups.
This way Scott Davis can make $250 million this year and stop putting all the ridiculous production crap on us drivers.

Uhhhh. It takes about 5 hours just to preload the trucks. Our building is stretched to the max. Anymore volume and drivers will be on road around 10AM with the preload starting around 3 AM.

brownIEman

However, if the cost UPS pays for each of our SUPERVISORS keeps getting getting farther and farther ahead of what our competitors pay, and yet we cannot rely on being able to get production out of our SUPERVISORS, we will be less and less competitive.

agreed. But that process is already in place with the zero raises for supervisors this year and the shared cost for health care for benefits for supervisors.

Can I take it then you would be OK with setting up a similar compensation cost control structure for Drivers?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
agreed. But that process is already in place with the zero raises for supervisors this year and the shared cost for health care for benefits for supervisors.

Can I take it then you would be OK with setting up a similar compensation cost control structure for Drivers?

Maybe if you all joined a union.....

Actually I believe if the pay freeze you have been forced to take is just as likely the fuel behind the increase in expectations from the driver ranks as is the volume levels. First corporate pisses off all the mid management with goodie givebacks, then points an accusing finger at the hourlies because of negotiated increases benefits and pay and says "go get the lost money from those guys by pushing them all harder".

Aside from the sheer grouchiness this all creates with management and hourly alike, the new new tight ship is just not customer friendly at all.
It's not conducive to creating new alliances or really even in keeping old ones as delivery times get later, less reliable and service providers are pushed to the point of not caring what the customer even thinks as long as we can empty out the truck, fill it up again, get it back to the barn and get the hell out of there. How can we slash and burn our way to keep customers and get new ones? That's the real question. If the company were floating in profit, there would likely be less to base the cuts on.
I believe we will of course have better future years, but only if we can bring our customers along with us.

The whole production thing goes back to at least when the paper to diad allowance was taken off. Most of the trust unfortunately went away with that decision. If they can take it away for that, they can take it away for any other reason. Production means less to most drivers now, because it has taken on more of a snake oil characteristic.

UPS knows if they say that it takes 8 hours to complete 8.25 hours of work, most of us will try to figure out how to make it happen. That's the way we were trained. But now it seems as if it has somehow slipped to 8.5 hours and 8.75 and 9.00 hours in some cases. We all know how to do our jobs, management and hourly alike. And we all know snake oil when we see it.

This is snake oil.

NHDRVR

ok i know 90% of you will say not to play #'s game etc. but the ive had a problem where my business route has not been planning to 8hrs. ive gone from 80-85 stops to 95-100 becuase my volume has gone from ~350 to under 300. i know have an aditional block of business to get the stop count up. we all know that 100 stops with 299 pieces is alot more work than 80 stops with 375 pieces but my plan still does not make 8 sometimes.

what im looking for is how exactly to maximize the allowance for the work im doing (not cheating).

i know alot of the basics
enter over 70s
enter floor numbers for 2nd 3rd floor del.

with pick-ups we are instructed to at least scan air/international. if i scan the grounds as well will that give me any additional allowance? any other tips?

the problem is when i dont plan over 8hrs i end up with a house split the next day which makes it impossible. i end up having to meet someone to take my pick-ups in then run the houses at the end of the day. or skip lunch which i wont do!

This has probably been mentioned but here goes... Just do your route. The numbers are theirs, not yours. Walk the driveways, brisk pace (what ever the hell that means), don't get hurt, punch out and go home...

rinse and repeat

Do the job the same way, every day, don't cut corners, but do what you are supposed to do as well. Too many drivers confuse slowing down with 'not' following the methods. It's just the opposite. A couple of cardinal rules I see broken all the time are..
1. key in the door
2. driving in driveways (walk it or use your 2-wheeler) this one fries my ass because we have it beaten into our heads to NOT go in them due to accidents but on an OJS you are to work as directed and , of course, you WILL go into driveways to save time. Typical UPS hypocracy...
3. No packages in cab (not even an envelope)

There are more, you get the point

I am not even including the best way to do your house calls which is to always try to make customer contact, ring and knock, fill out the d-note while you wait, then find a spot to leave pkg, leave another d-note in necessary, and so on... I choose to stop and drop but I can go old school if they want to play games...

some1else

nhdrvr; i know the numbers dont matter bit... the problem is in this case they do! over the past month my route is always 7.75-8.5 dispatch (it takes 9 to run with the late pickups). those days with <8 gets me so i cant "just do my route" i have to do mine AND 20 stops of someone elses!

//Do your air first,NO GROUND JUST AIR.This will increase your stop count,and give you miles.It may waste fuel,but your stop count will go down,and your sups will look good on paper,and after all thats all that really matters.//

i have been doing that forever. i have 15-20 airs. i used to run them with grounds where possible but for the last several months have been doing them seperate which nets me about 10 stops... technically i believe we are supposed to run the airs first. i know if you have late airs and have any grounds delivered prior to 1030 they will be mad!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, we are supposed to have all NDAs del by commit time, but we are encouraged to deliver any ground that we can on trace at the same time. For example, I del to both WalMart and Sams. There is no way I am going to drop off just the NDAs as getting on a dock can be very difficult, especially at WalMart.

I would be careful in driving by ground stops just to boost your daily plan.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
nhdrvr; i know the numbers dont matter bit... the problem is in this case they do! over the past month my route is always 7.75-8.5 dispatch (it takes 9 to run with the late pickups). those days with <8 gets me so i cant "just do my route" i have to do mine AND 20 stops of someone elses!

//Do your air first,NO GROUND JUST AIR.This will increase your stop count,and give you miles.It may waste fuel,but your stop count will go down,and your sups will look good on paper,and after all thats all that really matters.//

i have been doing that forever. i have 15-20 airs. i used to run them with grounds where possible but for the last several months have been doing them seperate which nets me about 10 stops... technically i believe we are supposed to run the airs first. i know if you have late airs and have any grounds delivered prior to 1030 they will be mad!
We all got 20 stops off of someone else when the volume dropped to make plan. The problem I see is the volume is creeping back up and those 20 stops are not leaving. If the stops drop 2 per car they break a route but if they go up 10 everything stays the same. Like we didn't see that coming.

in my building we have a few routes that are illegal according to the contract. the routes are all businesses and in order to make all the work on time the driver takes his lunch at the end of the day at 5:30 after his last pickup. it would be nice if the IE people would be smart and take routes like that and split it into two. maybe a 60-40 business route and a 40-60 house route. unfortunately most of the IE people i know havent got a clue. i did one of the routes and stopped to take lunch at my 4th hour. i ended up having 17 missed business stops. they brought me in the office but i brought the contract and said i will not skip my lunch. havent been on the route since. as far as numbers...they are a joke. there is no such thing as paid over or paid under...fair days work for a fair days pay

I've never heard of legal and illegal routes. Can you tell me where to reference that in the contract?

helenofcalifornia

I agree that running your air first, and just your air, would look better on paper, but it will also keep you out there longer. And damn, the days are long enough now, the sun is setting way too soon now. I don't know what the answer is.
Our dispatch supe, when an extra truck or two are put on the line, tells us all what has been done and please bring it in. For the most part, we do.

NHDRVR

i have been doing that forever. i have 15-20 airs. i used to run them with grounds where possible but for the last several months have been doing them separate which nets me about 10 stops... technically i believe we are supposed to run the airs first. i know if you have late airs and have any grounds delivered prior to 1030 they will be mad!

The last thing I am doing here is knocking how you do your route. I know neither you, or your route, but assuming you are doing things as you should, work safe and get to those extra 20 when you can.

What you have mentioned so far, about running airs first and trying to do ground with them is fine, you sound like you know your job.

It also sounds like every other route in existence that occasionally gets an extra 15-20 stops to see if the driver will pound it out in the same amount of time.

Work safely, follow ALL of the methods since they take more time any ways and just relax.

Getting into an accident or getting hurt because you were rushing is MORE of an issue.

Be safe...

talkwith

Don't deliver any ground with your air unless the business has an early guarantee for ground packages. When you return to that business to deliver their ground you will get credit for the 2nd stop.

Make sure you do not stop complete until you get back to your package car. If you stop complete it early you will not receive the full time allotment for the stop.

Walk, don't run.

Don't be afraid to use your dolley, frequently. When I was a cover driver one of our Senior drivers (30 years experiences) told me that he used a dolly for every package over 25 lbs. He never had any back trouble and is happily retired.

Take your lunch at the appropriate time according to your contract.

Record the number of packages you transfer (on the inside bldg screen Unload) to the driver who is getting your pickups in the evening.

All this is to say: Follow the methods, file your 9.5 grievances and you will see results.

DS

Fenderbender
Uhhhh. It takes about 5 hours just to preload the trucks. Our building is stretched to the max. Anymore volume and drivers will be on road around 10AM with the preload starting around 3 AM.

It takes 5 hours for one person to load 3 or 4 trucks.
A driver loading his own truck can do it no problem,with no missorts,or misloads and everything in the best place using his area knowledge.
drivers should load thier own pkg cars
Hey corp,if you're reading this,I'm submitting it as a kind of sales lead that I would like to earn some points on my amex card when you try it and see that it works.:)

Next tip< how to utilize driver input and experiece to accomplish perfect dispatch >

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It takes 5 hours for one person to load 3 or 4 trucks.
A driver loading his own truck can do it no problem,with no missorts,or misloads and everything in the best place using his area knowledge.
drivers should load thier own pkg cars
Hey corp,if you're reading this,I'm submitting it as a kind of sales lead that I would like to earn some points on my amex card when you try it and see that it works.:)

Next tip< how to utilize driver input and experiece to accomplish perfect dispatch >

In the early days driver's did load their own trucks. No thanks.

browniehound

in my building we have a few routes that are illegal according to the contract. the routes are all businesses and in order to make all the work on time the driver takes his lunch at the end of the day at 5:30 after his last pickup. it would be nice if the IE people would be smart and take routes like that and split it into two. maybe a 60-40 business route and a 40-60 house route. unfortunately most of the IE people i know havent got a clue. i did one of the routes and stopped to take lunch at my 4th hour. i ended up having 17 missed business stops. they brought me in the office but i brought the contract and said i will not skip my lunch. havent been on the route since. as far as numbers...they are a joke. there is no such thing as paid over or paid under...fair days work for a fair days pay

I have an easier solution to splitting the route in two. How about just let the driver work without forcing him to take his 1 hour lunch. How about just letting him take the time between his last delivery and first pickup as his lunch time?

If its 20 minutes, dock him 20. If its 45, dock him 45. Its pure non-sense that the driver MUST take "1 hour for lunch between the 4th and 5th hour". UPS sold out its flexability on lunches out of the greed associated with the knowledge or hope many drivers are going to skip lunch to finish at a certain time when they agreed to this language.

I've heard the argument that the hour lunch was negotiated hard by the union and should be looked at as a reward. My response would be: first, I don't believe the union would negotiate for the hour lunch because it only benefits UPS. We have to work an hour later in the day to obtain OT. How does this benefit us? I just want to get home and UPS is preying on this!

Second, if I'm in my UPS uniform and sitting in a UPS truck away from my family it sounds like being at work to me (even if I'm not doing anything) and a 1 hour deduction in pay is too much.

All I want to do is the route as efficiently as possible. I want a reasonable time to eat during the day. I want to work hard and get home to my family.

What I don't want is the 80 minutes of break time the company forces me to take. This is 80 minutes a day I am away from home in which I accomplish nothing and am still under the control of UPS.

80 minutes, everyday!!! Its just too much unless you enjoy missing your kids grow up?

All I want is my 2 paid 10 minute breaks taken at once. Its enough time to sit and eat and recharge for the rest of the day. What do we need the extra hour for? Its torture because I'm left sitting there with nothing to for an hour. Its like solitary confinement for an hour every day. Who wants that??

Can anyone please give me a logical explanation as to how the hour lunch benefits hourly employees?

Thank you in advance!!!

The Browniehound

ol'browneye

In the early days driver's did load their own trucks. No thanks.

I loaded my own truck for 11 years up until 3 years ago. I would give anything to get that back! We started at 7:45, loaded our trucks and were usually off work by 5:45. 6:30 was a late night! That hour and a half loading was part of our planned day. Now we have a preload at our satelite and we are lucky to hit the road by 10:00 if not later! Throw a 9-10 hour day on top of that time (and it's all delivery and no loading) and I'm not clocking out until 9pm, sometimes later! Don't knock it 'til you try it!

klein

Für Meno :)
I loaded my own truck for 11 years up until 3 years ago. I would give anything to get that back! We started at 7:45, loaded our trucks and were usually off work by 5:45. 6:30 was a late night! That hour and a half loading was part of our planned day. Now we have a preload at our satelite and we are lucky to hit the road by 10:00 if not later! Throw a 9-10 hour day on top of that time (and it's all delivery and no loading) and I'm not clocking out until 9pm, sometimes later! Don't knock it 'til you try it!

I agree with you. We had the same advantage, just up until a year ago, when they decided to get pre loaders.
Nothing really in place.

You load your own truck,. no misloads, no backtracking, due to a hidden package in a corner..
I loved it, too. We all did !
Made every day a perfect run.

And the morning fun, with other drivers...
The good old days..:)

DS

Fenderbender
brownie ,years ago they fought to get breaks,now in order to appease everyone except you they gave them an hour.
I love my lunch,its the best part of my day.

ol'browneye

I agree with you. We had the same advantage, just up until a year ago, when they decided to get pre loaders.
Nothing really in place.

You load your own truck,. no misloads, no backtracking, due to a hidden package in a corner..
I loved it, too. We all did !
Made every day a perfect run.

And the morning fun, with other drivers...
The good old days..:)

Exactly Klein. I will have to agree with you on this one! Especially the part about fun in the morning with the other drivers! We used to have a blast!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I have an easier solution to splitting the route in two. How about just let the driver work without forcing him to take his 1 hour lunch. How about just letting him take the time between his last delivery and first pickup as his lunch time?

If its 20 minutes, dock him 20. If its 45, dock him 45. Its pure non-sense that the driver MUST take "1 hour for lunch between the 4th and 5th hour". UPS sold out its flexability on lunches out of the greed associated with the knowledge or hope many drivers are going to skip lunch to finish at a certain time when they agreed to this language.

I've heard the argument that the hour lunch was negotiated hard by the union and should be looked at as a reward. My response would be: first, I don't believe the union would negotiate for the hour lunch because it only benefits UPS. We have to work an hour later in the day to obtain OT. How does this benefit us? I just want to get home and UPS is preying on this!

Second, if I'm in my UPS uniform and sitting in a UPS truck away from my family it sounds like being at work to me (even if I'm not doing anything) and a 1 hour deduction in pay is too much.

All I want to do is the route as efficiently as possible. I want a reasonable time to eat during the day. I want to work hard and get home to my family.

What I don't want is the 80 minutes of break time the company forces me to take. This is 80 minutes a day I am away from home in which I accomplish nothing and am still under the control of UPS.

80 minutes, everyday!!! Its just too much unless you enjoy missing your kids grow up?

All I want is my 2 paid 10 minute breaks taken at once. Its enough time to sit and eat and recharge for the rest of the day. What do we need the extra hour for? Its torture because I'm left sitting there with nothing to for an hour. Its like solitary confinement for an hour every day. Who wants that??

Can anyone please give me a logical explanation as to how the hour lunch benefits hourly employees?

Thank you in advance!!!

The Browniehound

Are you not allowed to take a half hour lunch? We been doing it for years out West. The new contract also includes language to skip your lunch with prior approval from mgmt.
Also do you believe that UPS would not try to fill up the time with more work if you were able to work through lunch every day?