Tire chains?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I had to use the chains a few times in the past week. They suck. Is it the clips that are no good, or are the chains weak, or both? Seems like they have been breaking rather quickly. I noticed that they are too long too for the newer trucks. I think the tires are thinner.

For you new guys, take a hint. Always carry extra clips in your jacket as insurance. I do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

25 years and I have yet to have to put a set of chains on. That's not to say I have never been stuck---I have----but the locals, especially on my country run, were always willing to help.

You will get charged with an accident only if it costs the company money.

oldngray

nowhere special
I had to use the chains a few times in the past week. They suck. Is it the clips that are no good, or are the chains weak, or both? Seems like they have been breaking rather quickly. I noticed that they are too long too for the newer trucks. I think the tires are thinner.

For you new guys, take a hint. Always carry extra clips in your jacket as insurance. I do.

There are a couple of different sizes of chains and I think different ones fit the newer smaller tires. I agree the newer chains frequently break. They are cheap junk. I usually used those traction strips if possible.

oldngray

nowhere special
We got charged if a tow truck was called so we did everything possible to get ourselves out. The new trucks suck in snow. I would get stuck once or twice a day if it snowed an inch or two. Not stuck bad. Throw down traction strips and get out quickly and repeat. I got stuck in middle of road if it snowed about 6 inches. My city streets seldom saw a snowplow.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We get charged with an accident if a tow is needed. I havent been stuck in ions. As long as I can move, Im not going to get stuck. If I am having trouble moving, I dont stop.
I have never used tire chains, never will. If its that bad, we need to go in.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have never gotten "charged" for an accident for getting stuck in snow or mud and needing a tow truck, and its happened to me probably half a dozen times during my 27 yrs.

As far as tire chains go, we are fortunate here; our shop buys the PEWAG brand heavy duty chains and they are seriously bad ass. They cost about $300 per set but they dont break, the links are specially hardened steel. I have yet to ever need to install a repair link on one.

The best investment I ever made was the $5 I spent on a used tow rope at a garage sale. I have been pulled out of the snow and mud many times with it, virtually everyone on my route has a tractor or a 4x4 pickup and if I get stuck all I do is connect the rope to the bumper and just stand there, the first person who passes by in a rig that can tow will always stop and pull me out.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

We get charged with an accident if a tow is needed. I havent been stuck in ions. As long as I can move, Im not going to get stuck. If I am having trouble moving, I dont stop.
I have never used tire chains, never will. If its that bad, we need to go in.
Different rules for different areas I guess. I chain up several times per year on average. My state does not allow salt on the roads, and only the main roads get plowed, so chaining up is a necessity.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I was never charged with an accident after a tow and I was towed at least 10 times in my driving career. Once, the tow charge was $700. The tow company had just painted their vehicle and it wound up getting scratched to high hell after towing me out of a nasty 1/2 mile tree lined driveway.

I think also that your standing with your management team is taken into consideration.

soberups

My experience has been that 99% of the time chains break because they arent properly installed. Most people dont hook the inside loop tight enough because its hard to reach, so over the course of a day the chain will pull crooked and the inside of the tire will start running on the outer chain ring. They also break if you dont properly untangle them. Do yours look like this?
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1392651992.743416.jpg

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
My experience has been that 99% of the time chains break because they arent properly installed. Most people dont hook the inside loop tight enough because its hard to reach, so over the course of a day the chain will pull crooked and the inside of the tire will start running on the outer chain ring. They also break if you dont properly untangle them. Do yours look like this? View attachment 11273

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mine didn't. Yours look a lot better designed. Our chains were just for emergency use to get unstuck then you take them off, not to drive around on. And they only covered a small patch of tread to give traction, not the whole tire.