Tire chains?

oldngray

nowhere special
something like this
emergencychainhvylarge2.jpg

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Different rules for different areas I guess. I chain up several times per year on average. My state does not allow salt on the roads, and only the main roads get plowed, so chaining up is a necessity.

Sent using BrownCafe App
No salt on the roads? Wow, ice skating in the brown trucks....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Different rules for different areas I guess. I chain up several times per year on average. My state does not allow salt on the roads, and only the main roads get plowed, so chaining up is a necessity.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I guess. No one in my center has ever used them. That I know of. We dont have huge mountains, and passes we have to go through either. Just roads and a hill or two.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I cant believe the whining ! im 5 foot nothing. a hundred pounds and nothing and having been chaining every year for 10 years in feeder.

we check our chains before the season starts, get all the necessary stuff we need and exchange chains we don't like.

I can put a full set of 50-80 pound chains on a set of doubles in 20-30 minutes depending on conditions.

come on, man up guys.

oldngray

nowhere special
I cant believe the whining ! im 5 foot nothing. a hundred pounds and nothing and having been chaining every year for 10 years in feeder.

we check our chains before the season starts, get all the necessary stuff we need and exchange chains we don't like.

I can put a full set of 50-80 pound chains on a set of doubles in 20-30 minutes depending on conditions.

come on, man up guys.

Chains are illegal for normal driving here so can only be used in an emergency to get unstuck then they have to come off. And they are cheap junk chains that break. Its not a matter of putting chains on and driving with them all day.

rod

Retired 22 years
Its been proven that if you get stuck you can throw your 2-wheeled cart under the tires for traction. Its also been proven that once you do this you have to get a new 2-wheeler.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

come on, man up guys.
What are u talking about. I didn't hear anyone whining. Just stating the equipment sucks. Also ever think that our package car chains are different than your feeder chains? As someone else said we don't have full sets of chains here. Just a thin strip they are worthless. Traction strips have worked out much better for me over the years.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

come on, man up guys.
Who was whining....I didn't hear anything.....

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
There are a couple of different sizes of chains and I think different ones fit the newer smaller tires. I agree the newer chains frequently break. They are cheap junk. I usually used those traction strips if possible.
MDC is getting Chinese made chains now instead of the good Pewag Austrian chains:dissapointed:.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
My experience has been that 99% of the time chains break because they arent properly installed. Most people dont hook the inside loop tight enough because its hard to reach, so over the course of a day the chain will pull crooked and the inside of the tire will start running on the outer chain ring. They also break if you dont properly untangle them. Do yours look like this? View attachment 11273

Sent using BrownCafe App
You have them inside out. Other than that, it looks good. The hooks on the crosslinks should face outward or they gouge the tire sidewalls.