To Train or not to Train........

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This is how I feel on a daily basis.....

latest
See how easy that got in there.. A couple pushes and a little lube and it slips right in....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Only UPS could overlook the fact that they already have the best trainers on staff and driving already. They're called Circle of Honor drivers.
True, but they are too full of themselves to understand that... And the dollar an hour extra they might get to train a new feeder driver might bankrupt the company...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hello everyone, so I'm thinking about becoming a Feeder Driver Trainer. any advise on the pros and cons of this job would be appreciated. i have 25 years experience and 5 in training and compliance in my previous job. and didn't know if their were anything i should know before making a decision regarding this career move.i know Drivers make more money so whats the upside?
If you get a spot in feeder as a on road sup, take it and run... Probably the best position to have out of any sup position in the company. You will have to go to Chicago for your training and the dropout rate is pretty high... You get to drive in Chicago traffic and they take you to a place where they have ice simulation driving to imitate what happens in a jackknife situation and how to try to correct it. You have to be able to pretrip a rig and trailer in a few minutes and almost have to memorize word for word a ups pretrip. Anyway if they have offered you a position you just hit the ups sup lottery.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You have to be able to pretrip a rig and trailer in a few minutes and almost have to memorize word for word a ups pretrip.
That is what it's like in small package (obviously with a different vehicle). You need to be able to write down the DOK word for word. If you miss a comma or a period it is all wrong.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Only UPS could overlook the fact that they already have the best trainers on staff and driving already. They're called Circle of Honor drivers.
I've tried doing something similar in previous roles I held. You want to know the issue? None of the experienced drivers want to take on the responsibility even with extra pay. I would love to send a green driver with a 30 year guy. I know they can teach those guys things I can't, but getting guys to do it without straight up directing them is impossible.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I've tried doing something similar in previous roles I held. You want to know the issue? None of the experienced drivers want to take on the responsibility even with extra pay. I would love to send a green driver with a 30 year guy. I know they can teach those guys things I can't, but getting guys to do it without straight up directing them is impossible.
We tried to get the company to do this and they flat out said no.....what a total shame.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
One of your most favorites out of the 20 you have done in your career here??
May not have done many, but I've had some fun ones. Favorite one was probably going to a country club and shooting a few buckets of balls during lunch. I paid for lunch, he covered the balls and the clubs. One aspect I miss about Minnesota. So much more laid back than the east coast.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We tried to get the company to do this and they flat out said no.....what a total shame.
In the relatively short time I've been here I've advocated for it. Great tool IMO. Plus, new guys are more relaxed when they are with another driver. They don't feel like they are constantly being evaluated. That's a good thing.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That is what it's like in small package (obviously with a different vehicle). You need to be able to write down the DOK word for word. If you miss a comma or a period it is all wrong.
That's total bs... Miss a comma..?!?!typical corporate bs and that is what's wrong with these companies ....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
May not have done many, but I've had some fun ones. Favorite one was probably going to a country club and shooting a few buckets of balls during lunch. I paid for lunch, he covered the balls and the clubs. One aspect I miss about Minnesota. So much more laid back than the east coast.
I'm just messing with you Michael ...

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
That's total bs... Miss a comma..?!?!typical corporate bs and that is what's wrong with these companies ....
I'll never forget what my center manager said when had a Keter audit when I was preload sup. He was freaking out people wouldn't know their DOK. I told him "But they work safe and can demonstrate it." Simply looked at me and said "That's not what this audit is about."

Then it isn't about safety. Period.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'll never forget what my center manager said when had a Keter audit when I was preload sup. He was freaking out people wouldn't know their DOK. I told him "But they work safe and can demonstrate it." Simply looked at me and said "That's not what this audit is about."

Then it isn't about safety. Period.
It's a dog and pony show mark... That's all it is.