To Train or not to Train........

brownelf

I've tried doing something similar in previous roles I held. You want to know the issue? None of the experienced drivers want to take on the responsibility even with extra pay. I would love to send a green driver with a 30 year guy. I know they can teach those guys things I can't, but getting guys to do it without straight up directing them is impossible.

I did safety mentoring my last few years, we did the safety packets and all that. We didn't get to spend the day with them but got paid to start early and help them with any issues they had. Used to tell them years ago it would have cost them a beer for the info UPS was paying me to give them.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I did safety mentoring my last few years, we did the safety packets and all that. We didn't get to spend the day with them but got paid to start early and help them with any issues they had. Used to tell them years ago it would have cost them a beer for the info UPS was paying me to give them.
Even getting mentors can be like pulling teeth. Everybody loves the idea until they are asked to do it. It's a shame, I think it would create some good benefits.

brownelf

It was really the most rewarding part of my job the last few years. Saw one of my rookies had posted his 2yr safe driving award on Facebook, it made me smile. It would have been a cool way to end my career at UPS as a trainer, because experience is something that isn't valued or utilized much at UPS at this time. And soon experienced management as well as hourly will be gone like I am.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It was really the most rewarding part of my job the last few years. Saw one of my rookies had posted his 2yr safe driving award on Facebook, it made me smile. It would have been a cool way to end my career at UPS as a trainer, because experience is something that isn't valued or utilized much at UPS at this time. And soon experienced management as well as hourly will be gone like I am.
Then all that will be left are a bunch of union and mgt wolves attacking each other for the few remaining scraps ...