Under No Circumstances Can 22.4 Be Allowed To Remain

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Don’t know what???
You don’t know that
I know if I was a business owner I would want to get back to business as soon as possible... EVEN if that means loosing something small to keep the customers....you go to the store and realize they forgot to put your ice cream into your bag.... it’s really not worth your time and gas to go back and deal with it...(unless it’s Ben and Jerry’s !!)

Last edited:

542thruNthru

REALITY CHECK. UPS can hire 2 scrub drivers to do your route for what they pay you (That’s $18.50 each). They can do that until one guy can do it on their own then they will :censored2: can the other guy. Not only that but UPS would save $20,000 in pension per year that you would have given up (how would your family feel about that) and they would drop their healthcare to a 60/40 plan for that scrub and save another $10,000 in healthcare. If you think your not replaceable Go talk to guys in grocery or yellow freight. You dont strike on a contract with this many benefits. Period.

Question. Do they hire these guys before or after they break the union?

LagunaBrown

I know if I was a business owner I would want to get back to business as soon as possible... EVEN if that means loosing something small to keep the customers....you go to the store and realize they forgot to put your ice cream into your bag.... it’s really not worth your time and has to go back and deal with it...(unless it’s Ben and Jerry’s !!)
Bad anology. You don’t want to price yourself out of a job

Mooseknuckle

Although I agree that much of the rhetoric from the vote yes side sounds like scare tactics, I might agree with the possible loss of volume if we vote NO.

Our customers need to get their goods shipped. If a NO vote goes through, it would become public information sometime around the end of October or early November.

It is entirely possible to believe that some of our customers might be worried about us going on strike during Christmas, therefore ruining their business. They would want to have guaranteed pans in place to make sure the products got to the customers during this critical business season.

Although speculative, much like our not trusting what UPS might do with the currently proposed loopholes, the shippers might speculate on us not being there for them. Sorry, but it is true that it could go down this way.

Still voting NO.
Though I agree with you, 1. They company won't take it that far. What will hurt more? Ditching this 22.4 nonsense or having a protracted strike AND losing customers in the long run, AND signaling to Bezos that he has no option other than to go deeper into the shipping business. 2. Who's gonna handle all that extra volume? There isn't enough scabs in the country to handle the volume. Continue to make record profits or bury the stock price for the shareholders? Remember they hold an awful lot of shares themselves.

F

Frankie's Friend

REALITY CHECK. UPS can hire 2 scrub drivers to do your route for what they pay you (That’s $18.50 each). They can do that until one guy can do it on their own then they will :censored2: can the other guy. Not only that but UPS would save $20,000 in pension per year that you would have given up (how would your family fell about that) and they would drop their healthcare to a 60/40 plan for that scrub and save another $10,000 in healthcare. If you think your not replaceable Go talk to guys in grocery or yellow freight. You dont strike on a contract with this many benefits. Period.
Yeah that's right keep spewing all that fake reality.

Let's see...
No part timers to run the sorts (can't keep them now).

No trained drivers knowledgable with areas, delivery or pick up experience, nor do they know anything about a diad and how it works.

Getting drivers to pass dot exams and just training them on how to be a ups driver will take literally weeks per driver and there's not enough trained management to facilitate that now much less when it expands 5 fold.

Shall we go on to list the obvious failures ahead for them plus hanging on the edge of peak season and the retail shops are filling inventories already.

Better get about 5 or 6 drivers per route and forget about part timers getting replaced.

If they pull the plug it will be business suicide.

End of story.

LagunaBrown

Question. Do they hire these guys before or after they break the union?
last
Though I agree with you, 1. They company won't take it that far. What will hurt more? Ditching this 22.4 nonsense or having a protracted strike AND losing customers in the long run, AND signaling to Bezos that he has no option other than to go deeper into the shipping business. 2. Who's gonna handle all that extra volume? There isn't enough scabs in the country to handle the volume. Continue to make record profits or bury the stock price for the shareholders? Remember they hold an awful lot of shares themselves.
1997 strike Fed Ex, the post office and everyone else had to turn volume away. The people that jumped ship first got taken care of and we gave competitors the money to make Fed Ex ground. Do you really think that won’t be ready to take as much as they can again.

542thruNthru

Let's see...
No part timers to run the sports (can't keep them now).

No trained drivers knowledgable with areas, delivery or pick up experience, nor do they know anything about a diad and how it works.

Getting drivers to pass dot exams and just training them on how to be a ups driver will take literally weeks per driver and there's not enough trained management to facilitate that now much less when it expands 5 fold.

Shall we go on to list the obvious failures ahead for them plus hanging on the edge of peak season and the retail shops are filling inventories already.

Better get about 5 or 6 drivers per route and forget about part timers getting replaced.

End of story.

I can't live with out my SPORTS!!! ;)

LagunaBrown

Let's see...
No part timers to run the sports (can't keep them now).

End of story.
Do you know how much Fed Ex ground guys get paid? Try $15.00 an hour.... Your spewing BS if you think there won’t be a line of people to do your job. No education needed, just a drivers license. Wake up

Mooseknuckle

REALITY CHECK. UPS can hire 2 scrub drivers to do your route for what they pay you (That’s $18.50 each). They can do that until one guy can do it on their own then they will :censored2: can the other guy. Not only that but UPS would save $20,000 in pension per year that you would have given up (how would your family feel about that) and they would drop their healthcare to a 60/40 plan for that scrub and save another $10,000 in healthcare. If you think your not replaceable Go talk to guys in grocery or yellow freight. You dont strike on a contract with this many benefits. Period.
I don't think the grocery union is a good analogy. They had the two tier pay also right? Get my point?

Mooseknuckle

Do you know how much Fed Ex ground guys get paid? Try $15.00 an hour.... Your spewing BS if you think there won’t be a line of people to do your job. No education needed, just a drivers license. Wake up
again, bad example. IF the company managed to poach all these fedex drivers, who'd be delivering fedex volume?
UPS would still be totally overwhelmed.

542thruNthru

Sorry man but you are over simplifying it.

It would still take months for the company to hire enough people. 240,000 people and you're also talking about doubling drivers for a while so make it 300,000 people.

Could they do it? Sure in maybe 4-6 months but by then they would have lost more then just paying RPCDs to drive on Saturdays.

F

Frankie's Friend

Yeah better get a bunch of them.
But then, everyone can do this job.
Any day.
All day.
Especially at pre-peak season.
You better wake up.
The company owns the union?
Is this what we've come to?

LagunaBrown

Sorry man but you are over simplifying it.

It would still take months for the company to hire enough people. 240,000 people and you're also talking about doubling drivers for a while so make it 300,000 people.

Could they do it? Sure in maybe 4-6 months but by then they would have lost more then just paying RPCDs to drive on Saturdays.
Ok so your saying the company didn’t learn from the last strike and are not prepared so they will just fold. Hmmmmm