UPS and Teamsters Discuss Two-Tier Wages, Sunday Deliveries---WSJ

Yup. And I would suspect the company wants to keep on making record profits. Probably why they aren't eager to give away the ship during contract negotiations.
They can't keep sweeping the problems under the rug to keep wall Street happy. Our buildings and equipment are behind the times, many of the pension plans and are in trouble and they keeping employees here past their peak performance.

Last edited:

brown_trousers

I would say, yes, absolutely.
I can see that fedex might treat their workers better. When you pay your workers pennies on the dollar compared to the competition, you can afford to be a lot nicer.

If i could pay someone pennies on the dollar, lets say $100 to repaint my entire house, you can bet that'll ill be buying them donuts and coffee and treating them really well.

F

Frankie's Friend

They can't keep sweeping the problems under the rug to keep wall Street happy. Our buildings and equipment are behind the times, many of the oenspwen and are in trouble keeping employees here past thsit peak performance.
What?!!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
without the union, (I am talking long-term over the decades), UPS would be a vastly different company and it is without question that people would be treated better, overall. I am not talking about pay or benefits, I am simply talking about being treated like a normal working person and human being. I worked for a private company for many years and they HAD to treat people good, to keep the union out!

I think Hoax got it right saying "UPS may as well be run by the devil", and a huge part of that is dealing with a unionized workforce.

Yeah just look how good they treat their own

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I can see that fedex might treat their workers better. When you pay your workers pennies on the dollar compared to the competition, you can afford to be a lot nicer.

If i could pay someone pennies on the dollar, lets say $100 to repaint my entire house, you can bet that'll ill be buying them donuts and coffee and treating them really well.
I have looked at the FedEx pay scale, as well as overall benefits and it's not nearly as lopsided as people make it out to be. Sure it takes a lot longer to "top out" but you can make $25-30+ an hour, most senior drivers there make at least that, if not $30+ ( I think top pay at FedEx Express is low to mid 30's which a bit less than UPS, but someone can clarify)

Also consider that it is a four year progression to top scale at UPS, instead of months or a couple years. I would not be surprised if this progression is increased more in coming contracts, to 5 perhaps 10 years. I don't think the # is going the other way, but I've been wrong before.

Your pennies to the dollar phrase was intentional or not, a fallacy and not a useful debate tactic

You all can argue whether or not the union helps more than it hurts, but if you are going to pick out "working conditions", in the long run working conditions are nearly always more cordial without union involvement. Especially when you have government (ask the Teamsters about that oversight) That does not mean the union has no purpose or, even, that I would prefer no union!

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I have looked at the FedEx pay scale, as well as overall benefits and it's not nearly as lopsided as people make it out to be. Sure it takes a lot longer to "top out" but you can make $25-30+ an hour, most senior drivers there make at least that, if not $30+ ( I think top pay at FedEx Express is low to mid 30's which a bit less than UPS, but someone can clarify)

Also consider that it is a four year progression to top scale at UPS, instead of months or a couple years. I would not be surprised if this progression is increased more in coming contracts, to 5 perhaps 10 years. I don't think the # is going the other way, but I've been wrong before.

Your pennies to the dollar phrase was intentional or not, a fallacy and not a useful debate tactic

You all can argue whether or not the union helps more than it hurts, but if you are going to pick out "working conditions", in the long run working conditions are nearly always more cordial without union involvement. Especially when you have government (ask the Teamsters about that oversight) That does not mean the union has no purpose or, even, that I would prefer no union!
You are not factoring in our total compensation. Which include premium healthcare, and money paid towards a pension. I’m pretty sure our total package blows theirs out of the water.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

DCBD6C86-E934-4967-9638-4BFA0A1845B8.jpeg

This is the Express pay scale for the area I’m in. The bottom figure is top pay for a regular driver. Cover drivers make around $1.50 more an hour (I think). The pay scale varies from area to area. In say, Ohio, it’s probably about $1.50 less and NYC maybe $1.50 more.

The pennies to the dollar quote, he’s probably thinking of FedEx Ground.

And yes, the benefits ARE lopsided. I had a surgery a few years ago and had to end up paying around $2,000 for it.