UPS and Teamsters Discuss Two-Tier Wages, Sunday Deliveries---WSJ

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah dude, Sunday service (minus premium service pkgs to commercial customers and medical needs) is just the US fetish for the McDonalds "give it to me now" generation. Pathetic.
No you're comparing an industry that has thousands of competitors. And 1 of those who pretty much has a cult like following has managed to buck the trend.

The delivery industry has 3 players.

You are comparing two entirely different things.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
without the union, (I am talking long-term over the decades), UPS would be a vastly different company and it is without question that people would be treated better, overall. I am not talking about pay or benefits, I am simply talking about being treated like a normal working person and human being.

That has to be one of the most ridiculous, and naive things, I have ever read on

this forum. If that was the case, explain the current treatment of non-union

employees. What happened to their free healthcare and pension plan ?

I enjoyed Ron Carey’s attitude toward UPS,he had put up with their BS as a driver and seen his Father do it also.

I always feel like I should put up a facepalm meme, every time someone wants

to reminisce about 'old' Ron. Yeah.... the 97 strike was fun (in my Local).

You want to talk about a concessionary contract ? That was the year.

Art 40 is all about air operations. Art 22.3 details combo jobs and pay.

You, being a red-circled pre 82 member will like this.

If you were a driver and wanted to bid an inside job.... the best job to bid ?

22.3 air combo. You're at top rate inside and top 22.3 rate air driving.

-Bug-

542thruNthru

without the union, (I am talking long-term over the decades), UPS would be a vastly different company and it is without question that people would be treated better, overall. I am not talking about pay or benefits, I am simply talking about being treated like a normal working person and human being. I worked for a private company for many years and they HAD to treat people good, to keep the union out!

I think Hoax got it right saying "UPS may as well be run by the devil", and a huge part of that is dealing with a unionized workforce.

With no union we would be treated nice but less pay hu? @MAKAVELI @Operational needs are you guys treated nice by your non union employer? Something tells me no you are not. You're treated pretty much the same.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
With no union we would be treated nice but less pay hu? @MAKAVELI @Operational needs are you guys treated nice by your non union employer? Something tells me no you are not. You're treated pretty much the same.
Actually, with everyday stuff we ARE treated better. We have a much better management/hourly relationship in general. Where the problem comes in is with our benefits and pension. Our Traditional pension was stopped for new employees in 2008(?). Now they get a Portable Pensiom which is only a few hundred a month. Our best insurance has been changed to an 80/20 plan with a high deductible. When I started, insurance was free. FedEx changed it supposedly because of Obamacare. FedEx can cut back as they choose and there is nothing we can do about it.

Our benefits and pension suck right now. Until the recent pay scale change, people could work here for 20 years and not be topped out. When I started it was two years. It’s been changed to MAYBE 10 years, nothing written in stone.

Last edited:

Non sequitur

They no these partimers are not as productive as ft driver when it comes to delivery. Issue: 2 much work for such a physical job. Issue: no weekend work. Issue: many pt workers want/need more hours. Solution: If you accept hybrid job your in progression. After 3 years decide ft/hybrid with yearly rebid. The union has the numbers on current ft driver jobs. Make it public knowledge everyday thru the TV pcm of that number relative to that center. No reductions period.

oldngray

nowhere special
Actually, with everyday stuff we ARE treated better. We have a much better management/hourly relationship in general. Where the problem comes in is with our benefits and pension. FedEx can cut back as they choose and there is nothing we can do about it.

Our benefits and pension suck right now. Until the recent pay scale change, people could work here for 20 years and not be topped out. When I started it was two years. It’s been changed to MAYBE 10 years, nothing written in stone.

I have a cousin who's a FedEx driver. He loved it. He started in the 1980's when things were a lot different though.

Staydryitsraining

without the union, (I am talking long-term over the decades), UPS would be a vastly different company and it is without question that people would be treated better, overall. I am not talking about pay or benefits, I am simply talking about being treated like a normal working person and human being. I worked for a private company for many years and they HAD to treat people good, to keep the union out!

I think Hoax got it right saying "UPS may as well be run by the devil", and a huge part of that is dealing with a unionized workforce.
Negative, the company would run everyone into the ground. We need a union to make sure were not and to make sure were compensated fairly. The otherside is the union breeds lazy, i deserve this and i work to hard brats who in all likelyhood put forth a quarter of effort and yell they bust their ass.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King

UPS has always been ran by Satan. If not for angelic Teamsters it would all be in a hand basket to Hell.
Before competition, (which was born out of the greed of UPS) when you walked in to pick up, if it wasn't ready, instructed to ''see you tomorrow''. To bad, so sad. Cant wait for one minute. It would be there tomorrow.
FedX came along and treated customers "like a human being" and customers jumped at the opportunity to use someone else besides Satan.
Its because of Unions that " people HAD to treat people good"... you don't even know what you said.
The biggest part has never been dealing with a ''unionized workforce ''.. its the workforce trying to deal with the A$$man while trying to keep and treat the customer like a human being.

Box Ox

UPS has always been ran by Satan. If not for angelic Teamsters it would all be in a hand basket to Hell.
Before competition, (which was born out of the greed of UPS) when you walked in to pick up, if it wasn't ready, instructed to ''see you tomorrow''. To bad, so sad. Cant wait for one minute. It would be there tomorrow.
FedX came along and treated customers "like a human being" and customers jumped at the opportunity to use someone else besides Satan.
Its because of Unions that " people HAD to treat people good"... you don't even know what you said.
The biggest part has never been dealing with a ''unionized workforce ''.. its the workforce trying to deal with the A$$man while trying to keep and treat the customer like a human being.

Yep. Have known customers to stick with UPS because they love and trust their UPS guy. If drivers stopped interacting with/going out of their way for customers and became drones out of a corporate/IE wet dream, a lot of customers would tell UPS to get :censored2:ed and move everything to Fed Ex.

And @Salesguy would be in here more often begging us to find new customers to make up for those the Company chased off.

F

Frankie's Friend

No you're comparing an industry that has thousands of competitors. And 1 of those who pretty much has a cult like following has managed to buck the trend.

The delivery industry has 3 players.

You are comparing two entirely different things.
Three players. Two of them suck at ground and non priority deliveries.
Are you saying that we won't maintain our existing volume levels if we dont prostitute like the other two who have sub par service to residential customers.
I don't believe it.
We've been through other trends and here we are.
How is Saturday ground going? Bleeds off monday volume?

UnconTROLLed

perfection

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
ludicrous to the point where there was no point in reading further.

Teamsters boss indicted on charges of extorting $100,000 from business
Teamster Exec Banned Two Years Over Corruption Charges

The above are not saintly or anything close, they are criminals and this type of behavior is not an abberration

It amazes me people believe and agree with what you were writing.
You really are wet behind the ears.
The difference in Teamster crooks and Company crooks is Teamster morons get indicted.
Company morons steal, lie, and backstab every day.
And in the sacred name of profit they get a free pass for their behavior and are looked on by their fellow crooks as a glorious leader instead of the :censored2: holes they are.

Staydryitsraining

How much are they paying you to post this crap? Not sure if a corporate bootlicker or just that ignorant.
I grieve all the time, i also tell everyone else too. I hate management with a passion. I also have foresight. You and anyone else who thinks year after year were going to get a dollar a year and nothing is going to happen to our jobs or our benefits is ignorant.