UPS and Teamsters Discuss Two-Tier Wages, Sunday Deliveries---WSJ

Grieve It

Local 174
I grieve all the time, i also tell everyone else too. I hate management with a passion. I also have foresight. You and anyone else who thinks year after year were going to get a dollar a year and nothing is going to happen to our jobs or our benefits is ignorant.

Our CEO just doubled his pay and there is no shortage of packages to be delivered. In fact, many would say that they feel overworked because they can't seem to hire enough employees to do the job.

If UPS gets to a breaking point where the CEO isn't doubling his pay and actually takes a pay decrease, then we can start worrying about asking for a pay cut as well. Somehow they are tricking you into thinking that there isn't enough to go around and that UPS is on the verge of collapse. You are being misled.

dudebro

Fat cat nounion jobs, there is way too much dead weight management positions, waaaay too many. It is laughable. They create these metrics and numbers that drivers are asked to uphold that mean nothing in order to make it look like they have a purpose. With the technology we have it’s time to cut a bunch of management.

Sounds like you're advocating using the information gathered by technology to manage the Union workforce. So you'd be in favor of management using the information gathered by technology for discipline then?

542thruNthru

Sounds like you're advocating using the information gathered by technology to manage the Union workforce. So you'd be in favor of management using the information gathered by technology for discipline then?

It's already used for discipline it can't be used for termination by itself.

brown_trousers

without the union, (I am talking long-term over the decades), UPS would be a vastly different company and it is without question that people would be treated better, overall. I am not talking about pay or benefits, I am simply talking about being treated like a normal working person and human being. I worked for a private company for many years and they HAD to treat people good, to keep the union out!

I think Hoax got it right saying "UPS may as well be run by the devil", and a huge part of that is dealing with a unionized workforce.
We already know what a small package delivery business looks like without a union. Fedex.

Are employees treated better over there?

542thruNthru

Actually, with everyday stuff we ARE treated better. We have a much better management/hourly relationship in general. Where the problem comes in is with our benefits and pension. Our Traditional pension was stopped for new employees in 2008(?). Now they get a Portable Pensiom which is only a few hundred a month. Our best insurance has been changed to an 80/20 plan with a high deductible. When I started, insurance was free. FedEx changed it supposedly because of Obamacare. FedEx can cut back as they choose and there is nothing we can do about it.

Our benefits and pension suck right now. Until the recent pay scale change, people could work here for 20 years and not be topped out. When I started it was two years. It’s been changed to MAYBE 10 years, nothing written in stone.

Out of curiosity would you trade no harassment for better pay/benefits/pension?

Me personally I would rather deal with harassment but I know some feel the other way. It's the whole "grass is greener on the other side."

Staydryitsraining

Our CEO just doubled his pay and there is no shortage of packages to be delivered. In fact, many would say that they feel overworked because they can't seem to hire enough employees to do the job.

If UPS gets to a breaking point where the CEO isn't doubling his pay and actually takes a pay decrease, then we can start worrying about asking for a pay cut as well. Somehow they are tricking you into thinking that there isn't enough to go around and that UPS is on the verge of collapse. You are being misled.
It has nothing to do with they dont have the money. Its about pricing ourselves out of a job or being put in a situation where some guy from the outside decides what happens to us.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Me personally I would rather deal with harassment but I know some feel the other way. It's the whole "grass is greener on the other side."
Yes, I would trade it, especially if I had started at UPS when I started at FedEx. I would be looking forward to retirement right now. As it stands, I have no idea when I’ll be retiring.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I’m not saying we don’t have any harassment, just that it’s on a much lower level than what y’all have to deal with. Plus, when one learns how to find policy to fight and fights, management tends to leave you alone.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Like @Operational needs said.. " I have no idea when I'll be retiring "
Wow.. Treated better and for longer.. allllright!
One persons financial situation does not make for a sample size worthy of using for comparison. By the way, our retirement age is a nice ripe old age of 64. Talk about working longer... Be lucky if I make it, and who knows what that age will be in 20 years.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
One persons financial situation does not make for a sample size worthy of using for comparison. By the way, our retirement age is a nice ripe old age of 64. Talk about working longer... Be lucky if I make it, and who knows what that age will be in 20 years.
You get treated how you let them treat you.

snookbunny420

been low key for a spell, the union sucks, the old guard only cares about itself<drivers>, they are scarered :censored2:less what happens when the part timers organize, thats why you don't see organizing drives yet., what are the drivers going to do compared to a 500 dollar bonus to a 3 month union brother?