UPS CEO: Thanks to automation, we're shipping more packages with the same number of people

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
i mean, it really doesn't matter what Corporate says in regards to inside staffing, the Preload/Hub managers just hire to whatever they want anyways, the only thing that holds them back is turnover

drivers is a different story i'm out of the loop on what this years flavor is

In our center. We have about 4 steady pre load bodies. The rest (10) are all new. With at least 5 brand new each week. They keep quitting. We can't get anyone for loading. Which is killing the drivers load quality.

Our on car\interum center mgr. Says we will run 38 areas. Well so far we have 34. He expects we will need 40. Because he even says the predictions will be way off. I expect drivers will be pushed up to 70hrs for this peak. Along with Saturday for those who have hours left over.

This year will be the biggest year for me. In my 29 yrs

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Amazon is very creative and moves quickly because it is so freakin' obvious that you can correct/adjust for the conditions; UPS studies bad ideas for years and then drops the ball...EVERY TIME! UPS tries to operate on fear and intimidation, but most of these "Leaders" don't know what real fear is.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Amazon is very creative and moves quickly because it is so freakin' obvious that you can correct/adjust for the conditions; UPS studies bad ideas for years and then drops the ball...EVERY TIME! UPS tries to operate on fear and intimidation, but most of these "Leaders" don't know what real fear is.....

Amazon does not have the restrictive nature of a labor union to thwart their creativeness.

4evapreloader

No new automation in the building I work at. Preload is expected to work about 5% faster this year. I can handle it, it's the new people that can't. We are still using summertime start times. All heck breaks loose at the first snow storm.

As of today no staffing issues, lots of new hires, but 90% won't last until Christmas. Then in December they will act all surprised at the volume and wonder why they can't get any new staff. The building is antiquated, yet they haven't moved the outhouse (for building overflow) into position in the parking lot yet.

Upstate, they are PLENTY of things this company could do to be more competitive that wouldn't run afowl of union regulations. They prefer to shoot themselves in the foot.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Amazon does not have the restrictive nature of a labor union to thwart their creativeness.
i used to think that too

it's really more like, Amazon recruits intelligent tech people that create a tech and organizational infrastructure on which you can make creative ideas; UPS focuses too much on degrees and driving experience

Coldworld

60 months and counting
No new automation in the building I work at. Preload is expected to work about 5% faster this year. I can handle it, it's the new people that can't. We are still using summertime start times. All heck breaks loose at the first snow storm.

As of today no staffing issues, lots of new hires, but 90% won't last until Christmas. Then in December they will act all surprised at the volume and wonder why they can't get any new staff. The building is antiquated, yet they haven't moved the outhouse (for building overflow) into position in the parking lot yet.

Upstate, they are PLENTY of things this company could do to be more competitive that wouldn't run afowl of union regulations. They prefer to shoot themselves in the foot.
Turnover is a HUGE problem everywhere... the union has given ups lots of suggestions and they haven't listened to one damn idea....

watdaflock?

He also said the new app to help "driver helpers" use their phones to deliver will also give them directions to their next stop...

Hmm...Driver helpers who drive to their next stop. Sounds like scab PVDs.

Great plan for peak.
Sounds like a lot more golf carts and less actual jumper helpers for the drivers, to me.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra

Negative.
AMZ has a culture of, among other things, inspiring their worker (not in the Fulfillment Centers), to reach beyond accepted norms and make decisions and recommendations. I know from personal experience. UPS is completely top down, and the top expects blind submission to whatever is barked out.

4evapreloader

I am one of the better preloaders in my building despite my age and time there. Did they ever come and observe what I do or how I do it other than to try to screw me over? No. Did they ever seriously ask my opinion about anything? No.

I could have helped them make their numbers look better, but they really, really don't care what I think. So friend em. They actually seem to place the ideas of new PT sups over what any real workers think.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did you approach them with your ideas and/or suggestions?

I walked in Monday morning and offered a suggestion regarding changing the service level on the mass mailings sent out by the NY Lottery. Both mangers liked the idea and agreed to push it up the chain.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Interesting how you always dumb down comments to your level of understanding.
Do you see yourself closer to the "Fulfillment Center" employee or the people at levels above? Oh, I didn't specifically state that and it is obviously beyond your ability to reason that out.

BTW....It's manager. A manger is like a wooden crib.

Those mangers probably had a good laugh when you walked away from them too!

Drink Craft Beer

The pre-load start time gets earlier and earlier than previous years.... then you're working 7-8hrs with only a 10min break.

Then they wonder why the un-load is getting slower and wrap-up time is taking so long.... it's because the majority of the pre-load is petered out.

"Safety first"

rod

Retired 22 years
The pre-load start time gets earlier and earlier than previous years.... then you're working 7-8hrs with only a 10min break.

Then they wonder why the un-load is getting slower and wrap-up time is taking so long.... it's because the majority of the pre-load is petered out.

"Safety first"

I haven't been petered out in a long time---too long

What'dyabringmetoday???

I walked in Monday morning and offered a suggestion regarding changing the service level on the mass mailings sent out by the NY Lottery. Both mangers liked the idea and agreed to push it up the chain.
Was there any babies in these mangers? Lol. Incidentally- thanks for everything you do to streamline the operation.

BlackCat

LMAO.. I am sure they took your suggestion and threw it in the recycle bin with the rest of your daily suggestions.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Let's be honest, they only "agreed" with you to shut you the hell up...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
LMAO.. I am sure they took your suggestion and threw it in the recycle bin with the rest of your daily suggestions.
I bet his building can't wait until he walks out that door for the last time... even thought he will probably be "visiting" all the time...wow

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

Interesting how you always dumb down comments to your level of understanding.
Do you see yourself closer to the "Fulfillment Center" employee or the people at levels above? Oh, I didn't specifically state that and it is obviously beyond your ability to reason that out.

BTW....It's manager. A manger is like a wooden crib.

Those mangers probably had a good laugh when you walked away from them too!

i'm sure the managers did pass it up the chain, and i'm sure it will go absolutely nowhere