UPS Freight targeted by Teamsters

nospinzone

Im sure everyone has been anxiously waiting to hear about all the good fortune that Teamsters can bring the boys and girls over at UPS Freight. Now you can read about it in black and white. Please see the attached scanned handout being circulated at Freight facilities.

You can also visit teamsters organizing site for UPS Freight.

For all those that know me, I'll spare you my thoughts... Id like to hear how people in Freight feel about this.

Nospin:cool:
One_Company_One_Union.jpg

brett636

It was only a matter of time before they started recampaigning with overnite. I doubted the teamsters were going to allow UPS freight to be non-union for too long.

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
Why would the overnite folks want to be represented by a Union if they are satisfied with their Pensions the way that they are currently set up-----and my understanding is that they were getting a 100% 401k match up to 12%!!And is UPS going to keep them on the same option?

Is there someone one from Overnite/UPS Freight that can share some of their feelings??

So we should not support O-nite/UPS Freight because they are non-union----so our other option is to let Fed Ex Freight, which is non union also, capture as much of our new family members volume????

over9five

Staff member
"I doubted the teamsters were going to allow UPS freight to be non-union for too long."

Why? The Teamsters have "allowed" Fedex to be non-union.

Honestly, I have come to believe that the Teamsters have given up on organizing. Oh, I know, we all get the Teamster rag where they brag about organizing this or that. But it's all piddly :censored2: nothing companies.

Oh, I forgot. UPS is their cash cow. Of course we're going to organize UPS Freight.

They're going to suck the cash cow dry.

nospinzone

Heyyyyy......Must be the money!!!

Its always about the money. Either directly or indirectly. In this case it might be more indirectly. Should Overnite remain unorganized or vote in another union(APWA or a purely overnite union), I see Teamsters ability to form a solid strike line decreased. We already know that the pilots union doesnt want to do business with Hoffa. Overnite would just be one more link in the chain. Should Overnite successfully resist Hoffas advances, Teamsters already pitiful bargaining power takes another turn south.

desmones

it won't ever happen.... they tried it before and failed. Hoffa can't afford to fight it again. We do not want the union and won't let them in. We get better benifts and our pension actually has money in it. Hoffa is squandering away teamsters pension, he won't get his hands on our retirement. :mad:

desmones

upsdawg said:
Why would the overnite folks want to be represented by a Union if they are satisfied with their Pensions the way that they are currently set up-----and my understanding is that they were getting a 100% 401k match up to 12%!!And is UPS going to keep them on the same option?

Is there someone one from Overnite/UPS Freight that can share some of their feelings??

So we should not support O-nite/UPS Freight because they are non-union----so our other option is to let Fed Ex Freight, which is non union also, capture as much of our new family members volume????

we only get 50% match up to 7%... and the only change in that is the match is going to be in stock not cash

retiredone

nospinzone said:
Im sure everyone has been anxiously waiting to hear about all the good fortune that Teamsters can bring the boys and girls over at UPS Freight.

Wonderful news for the folks in freight! Now they can enjoy all the benefits of the Central States Pension....Oh...wait a minute. Why would anyone in their right mind do that?!

brett636

over9five said:
"I doubted the teamsters were going to allow UPS freight to be non-union for too long."

Why? The Teamsters have "allowed" Fedex to be non-union.

Honestly, I have come to believe that the Teamsters have given up on organizing. Oh, I know, we all get the Teamster rag where they brag about organizing this or that. But it's all piddly :censored2: nothing companies.

Oh, I forgot. UPS is their cash cow. Of course we're going to organize UPS Freight.

They're going to suck the cash cow dry.

Comparing apples to oranges. What single part of fedex is currently organized by the teamsters? None.

I did speak with one driver for overnight and his opinion is the teamsters will be voted in at UPS freight. Only time will tell though.

desmones

brett636 said:
Comparing apples to oranges. What single part of fedex is currently organized by the teamsters? None.

I did speak with one driver for overnight and his opinion is the teamsters will be voted in at UPS freight. Only time will tell though.

This driver you talked to probably wasn't around during the last big strike against Overnite. I was... out of 600 terminals less the 15 voted them in. Within a year everyone filed for decertification from the union when they realized that all the promises were lies. The union is no longer helpful to the trucking industry Ask the guys who worked for Jones, CF, USF bestway, etc... the union really helped them.... straight to the unemployment line....and ask how many of them lost thier pensions!!!!

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
DESMONES---welcome aboard officailly, happy to have you join our UPS Family !! Your input is most appreciated and welcomed.There is a lot of speculation and rumors about the future of UPS Freight--hopefully this is something that will allow us to attract more business by offering a wider portfolio!!

ALL ABOARD!!!

nospinzone

Yeah,,,Ditto Desmones. UPS needs to be aggressive in every market , and you guys will definitely pull your weight. Thanks for being proactive in discussions. Different perspectives always make for good talk.

pasfailure

I told my local Overnite Driver he looked pretty spiffy in the new Uniforms. Then I told him to pick up the pace, we have a reputation!:thumbup1:

oakland

Now is as good as anytime to try and organize. The Central States Fund is a crutch right now, but not everyone falls under that pension. The workers at Overnite and Motor Cargo are getting new clothes and painted trucks. I bet they are treated differently at some accounts now that it says UPS on their shirts. Soon they will learn to earn that money for Big Brown like we do. They will learn who their daddy is, because UPS will show them or they will show them the door. I think the workers will let the union in sooner or later because the UPS management style will force the issue.

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
tie------ditto ,,,,,why give up a good thing that you have some control over.The next question is will UPS keep the same 401k match for O-nite/UPS Freight?? As long as it continues, I don't see any reason for them to give their monies to someone else to control------matter of fact ,now that I think about it, I do remember someoen from UPS Freight indicate that it would remain--it just would be matched with UPS Stock!!

Here is a good question--------if there were not a Central States(or Western Conf......) and all of our UPS Drivers had their retirement in UPS Stock---would there be more of a concern to grow the business and cut costs and take some more volume away form our competitors to make the stock more valuable??

tieguy

Banned
absolutely. The overnight acquisition should be interesting. The teamsters have not really shown any interest in 401 k match. Maybe this will open up this retirement option for small package upsers.

wkmac

with 12 percent 401 k match you have a gift. dont ever give it up to join the teamsters.

Amen Tie.

The teamsters have not really shown any interest in 401 k match. Maybe this will open up this retirement option for small package upsers.

Man Brother Tie, I like your sermon this morning!

Seriously, I couldn't agree more about the 401k issue. I got my 2006' UPS Compensation Statement in the mail yesterday and based on my contributions and their figurative 8% growth over the next 5 years, my 401k will double. Now I personally use a growth factor of 5% in making my own personal plans even though I've got investments that traditionally grow beyond that, I just like a very conservative approach when planning plus I always beat my expected goals and makes me look smarter than I really am! :wink:

If UPS was able to do a 12% match then I could for sure max out to the limit of the law and then have some money left over to go back into my pay, which of course would change my tax situation but hey, that's life. It would still be a raise so to speak and UPS would be making a nice contribution to my longterm retirement benefits. So thinking along these lines, if I have to work another roughly 13 years to get to the magic 62 number, why not do so fattening up my pocket directly that I know I'll get.

I know! I know! I'm a one man band on this. Oh well!
:lol:

mittam

I have talked with a few onernite drivers who all have said "hell no we don't want the teamsters, we kept them out before we will do it again",I offered them the info for the APWA and they love it. Hopefully they use common sense and keep away from the crooks called teamsters