Ups Intent to Terminate

542thruNthru

I never make excuses because I

how soon should I file s grievance since I have to wait for panel to respond

You file a grievance now! Get off the internet and call your local and speak with your Buisness agent!
giphy-198.gif

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We had a guy call in a week straight after we signed this document for being sick after we signed this paper work but our supervisor was in leave and our assistant supervisor didn’t do anything. The guy is best friends with the union stewards daughter so I haven’t said anything
What does someone else being sick have to do with you being late?

and why is anyone signing any outside contract agreements?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First off, I find it hilarious that they had to hand you a "written out letter", which you took as their version of a wake up call, to try to convey the importance of waking up on time so that you can then show up to work on time.

Secondly, why would either the union or company waste their time sending this to panel? You are a PTer who can't bother to show up to work on time-----you should have been gone a long time ago.

Finally, making excuses tells me that you clearly have not owned up to your mistakes. "But, Joey got the same letter and he didn't show up on time for a whole week and the assistant supervisor's daughter's friends' cousin said that it was OK so I thought it would be OK for me."

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
First off, I find it hilarious that they had to hand you a "written out letter", which you took as their version of a wake up call, to try to convey the importance of waking up on time so that you can then show up to work on time.

Secondly, why would either the union or company waste their time sending this to panel? You are a PTer who can't bother to show up to work on time-----you should have been gone a long time ago.

Finally, making excuses tells me that you clearly have not owned up to your mistakes. "But, Joey got the same letter and he didn't show up on time for a whole week and the assistant supervisor's daughter's friends' cousin said that it was OK so I thought it would be OK for me."

WFD

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Hey everyone! I am currently a pre loader at UPS and have recently got an intent to terminate. It happened within a 2 week span. I first got a warning on Monday last week for waking up late, and then one on Friday for the same reason. I then bought a new alarm and this Wednesday it didn’t go off and I was 15 minutes late. I’ve worked here for three years and I can’t lie they have given me plenty of chances in the past. We started to get real strict because other co workers of mine have been calling in and playing hooky. I am really liked by my steward and our center manager and am in the safety committee. I enjoy my job a lot and go to school full time and work another part time job, I also have a 1 and 2 year old which has made my life extremely stressful but still I am in good spirits. I was wondering if you guys believe there is any chance I could win my case if I filed a grievance? I have two mouths to feed in the future and only want honest feedback. Please don’t come here to tell me I shouldn’t be late. This is something that I’m aware of and i needed this wake up call. I’m very stressed out and can’t stop thinking about it for the sake of my future

I don’t know what area you’re in but, it sounds like you are on a working termination.

you need to file a grievance immediately contesting your termination.

your grievance will be heard first at a center level hearing before going to panel.

I bet you will be fine but you need to file that grievance immediately to have a fighting chance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don’t know what area you’re in but, it sounds like you are on a working termination.

you need to file a grievance immediately contesting your termination.

your grievance will be heard first at a center level hearing before going to panel.

I bet you will be fine but you need to file that grievance immediately to have a fighting chance.

...or he could save everyone a lot of unnecessary time and effort and look for a job that doesn't start until after lunch...

sandwich

The resident gearhead
They made us sign a written out letter saying we were going to start out fresh after some of my co workers were having trouble getting to work. Today my steward told me that the union can only do so much when it comes to attendance. He said if it gets sent to panel ( which is likely) they will vote for me to stay or go. I’m really feeling sick to my stomach thinking that I might work here for however long that takes just to find out I’m fired..

first of all article 6 section 1 of the nma deals with this exact thing. Extra contract agreements. That paper they made you sign is meaningless. Don’t worry about that.

second of all. That paper they “made you sign” says the company is starting fresh with attendance, yet still proceeded with progressive discipline.

so the company lied. You could request that paper and use it in your favor at your hearing.

but I wouldn’t. Just file your grievance. It sounds like attendance is a major problem in your building and I’m guessing your probably not the only one who has been late more than once. Your steward should be requesting the attendance records of ALL employees at your building. If anyone of them has been late more than 3 times in a 9 month period and has not been issued a termination then the company has nothing.