UPS Internal Politics

I was wondering if any of you have seen the "politics" that I know are being played at UPS and if so, how to get around them and not be caught up in them. Where I am from they seem pretty prevelent and necessary to getting a raise or promotion.

D

Dis-organized Labor

I was wondering if any of you have seen the "politics" that I know are being played at UPS and if so, how to get around them and not be caught up in them. Where I am from they seem pretty prevelent and necessary to getting a raise or promotion.

I don't think has ever been or ever will be a company, or any other entity, for that matter, where some "politics" are played out.
Everyone does it at home, work, everywhere. It just depends upon your description of "politics". "Social" and "Ethical" considerations are sometimes indistinguishable

tieguy

Banned

I'm assuming you're management since you reference a raise or promotion.

In management you can't get around some politics.
If you're looking to be promoted then you have to be able to sell yourself. Selling yourself is a form of politics.

A

anonymous6

Just do your job the best you can and don't get involved in office politics.

If that doesn't work , Quit.

brownrodster

I just work hard and try to look better on paper than the average employee. Don't talk to customers or management. I just try to stay off the radar as much as I can. Politics are far removed from my UPS existence.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I remember a observation I heard back in my twenties.
Politics occurs once any group or organization increases in size of 3 or more individuals.
Never had an experience that contradicted his statement.
Even see a lot of politics here on Brown Cafe.

bekbek1

Ashley Devine
Politics is the way of life, just jump in with both feet. Know the material and professional ways to use the politics you are surrounded by and aim to one up. A great book to read to apply politics in your position and beyond is "Talking from 9 to 5" by Tanner, it will change the way you communicate with people.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Find the person that will help you advance the fastest and shove your nose up his a**. Thats what everyone does around here!!

D

Dis-organized Labor

Find the person that will help you advance the fastest and shove your nose up his a**. Thats what everyone does around here!!

That's actually true for some people. I personally hate suck-ups and over achievers. It seems that there are some people that thrive on it.
I guess their self image needs a boost!

randomUPSISer

That's actually true for some people. I personally hate suck-ups and over achievers. It seems that there are some people that thrive on it.
I guess their self image needs a boost!

You hate over achievers? Or just suck ups? I'm not seeing why you would hate someone that's legitimately just really good at what they do.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You hate over achievers? Or just suck ups? I'm not seeing why you would hate someone that's legitimately just really good at what they do.
Legititamely good at what they do does not make it right. If one is good at their job then they don't need to be a kiss ass or suck up or over achiever. It's generally the ones that can't do their jobs that have to pursue other avenues to protect their jobs. IE sucking up, kissing ass, ever achieving.

randomUPSISer

Legititamely good at what they do does not make it right. If one is good at their job then they don't need to be a kiss ass or suck up or over achiever. It's generally the ones that can't do their jobs that have to pursue other avenues to protect their jobs. IE sucking up, kissing ass, ever achieving.

So if I'm REALLY good at software development, and its obvious to everyone in my work group that I am MUCH better at what I'm doing than anyone around me, in fact I'm able to do the same amount of work that 2 or even 3 people do, there is reason to hate me?

That's not "kissing ass" by doing that. Its simply being better at what your doing.

Now, if you mean "looking like I am better" while not actually being better, I can see your point.

You should be happy for the over achievers at UPS IMO. They are the ones that help cancel out all the UNDER-achievers to make the work groups end up average. :surprised:

705red

Browncafe Steward
So if I'm REALLY good at software development, :surprised:
Its obvious that you dont work here, so why comment? Are soft ware people would not know what we the drivers need to do this job if it smacked them square in the face!

Your software sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your probably the nut job that came up with the new diad, where we have to switch form letters to numbers!(abc) You ever try scanning 100 international asds before 1030 am and still make the rest of your stops on time? Didnt think so!

D

Dis-organized Labor

Dilligaf had totally and completely understood and articulately my point..

Thanks Dilli!! You get a smiley!!:salute:

D

Dis-organized Labor

So if I'm REALLY good at software development, and its obvious to everyone in my work group that I am MUCH better at what I'm doing than anyone around me, in fact I'm able to do the same amount of work that 2 or even 3 people do, there is reason to hate me?

That's not "kissing ass" by doing that. Its simply being better at what your doing.

Now, if you mean "looking like I am better" while not actually being better, I can see your point.

You should be happy for the over achievers at UPS IMO. They are the ones that help cancel out all the UNDER-achievers to make the work groups end up average. :surprised:

C'mon you know what I'm talking about!!!

If you're that good; we'll see that.....If you are not; and you pretend to be.......we'll see that too.

If I have to explain the difference......well