UPS to become the Sears & Robuck Of shipping??

timeckert1

After working for this company for more than 33 years I am utterly shellshocked at the reputation this company has Now. Between people complaining about how packages are late and/or missed delivered not to mention just leaving them at the door after business hours what has happened? we are losing big shippers left and right and no one seems to care And of course we don’t even look professional out there anymore. It’s truly disheartening and with all of the new competition out there it’s hard to believe UPS can be competitive considering where the highest priced in the industry with such a piss poor service with that being said I truly believe this new contract will tell a lot about the direction this company will be going. But I truly believe in the end if we don’t change your ways we will become the Sears & Robuck of the shipping industry bankrupt!!!

timeckert1

After working for this company for more than 33 years I am utterly shellshocked at the reputation this company has Now. Between people complaining about how packages are late and/or missed delivered not to mention just leaving them at the door after business hours what has happened? we are losing big shippers left and right and no one seems to care And of course we don’t even look professional out there anymore. It’s truly disheartening and with all of the new competition out there it’s hard to believe UPS can be competitive considering where the highest priced in the industry with such a piss poor service with that being said I truly believe this new contract will tell a lot about the direction this company will be going. But I truly believe in the end if we don’t change your ways we will become the Sears & Robuck of the shipping industry bankrupt!!!
Amen brother !….I left this year , when I was the last of the old timers …seniority isn’t completely dead , no respect from sorry supervisors half your age who couldn’t HACK IT AS A DELIVERY DRIVER , SO THEY HAD TO GO INTO MGT …THEY WERE BORN “YES MEN” who know LESS THAN THE “GUY BEHIND THE CURTAIN “!..the NEW DRIVERS Have NO RESPECT FOR CUSTOMERS …I WAS HIRED TO BE A SERVICE PROVIDER….new driver are trained by sups her were drivers for 6 months …ITS GONE …BIG BROWN WILL FALL EVENTUALLY….And I didn’t want to be part of it ….almost 34 years , same route from day 1 ….I’M OUT ( microphone falls ) … good luck to u and all the old timers…….

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I always used DR bags if I didn't have a covered front porch. Besides taking care of the consignee, it also took longer and I made more money.

oldngray

nowhere special
I never have. I always say it wasn’t raining when I delivered it
I got a complaint one time when I left a package on a covered back porch and didn't use a DR bag. The customer was gone for the winter so the package was out there for months and got wet from blowing then melting snow. No damage to the contents but the outside of te box was wet.

Its_a_me

UPS won't fail because drivers have beards or their shoes aren't polished or they are pushed (harassed) to meet requirements that boomer drivers never were so they can't provide the same level of service.

It will partially fail because they allowed a new competitor to grow. A complete management failure along the lines of Blockbuster not buying or stopping Netflix. They subsidized Amazon building a delivery service by charging such low rates and then once they found out they were going to be a competitor not a customer: they still allowed them to use the service piecemeal (choosing to give UPS their rural and less profitable deliveries). They instead should have cut them off at their knees all at once during a customer sensitive time--like peak season. So instead of saying you want to roll out a competing delivery service: you better do it overnight--UPS let them slowly build and scale through even today.

So UPS isn't going to fail--but it will evolve into a different smaller footprint company. Centers will be automated--those that can't merged. Teamsters will accept more "best contract ever's" until those contracts are shells of what they once were--PVD will become contractually legal and 22.4's expanded so anyone hired after a certain date automatically goes that route. I tell all the boomers and vets there that they will eventually be replaced by self driving technology and faster then they think and a driver's helper will man the trucks to deliver and for small packages load the drones that will be controlled remotely OR they will be replaced by PVD's that are independent contractors. Which means goodbye Teamsters.

Drivers like to complain about the younger ones--but they are at fault for why management can step all over the younger ones. I see it every day. They are the ones in at 4:30 while the last guy is pulling in 10 mins before the air car leaves to drop off and go back out. And they wonder why the new ones don't respect them or their way of doing things.

ManInBrown

Yeah they just put in an order for 20 767s because we’re going out of business, lolol. While I do agree the loss of big accounts is somewhat puzzling, UPS isn’t going anywhere.

Yeah they just put in an order for 20 767s because we’re going out of business, lolol. While I do agree the loss of big accounts is somewhat puzzling, UPS isn’t going anywhere.
They got rid of some of the big shippers They have a low profit margin on it but it's still baffles me while they have Amazon either then the weekly cash flow they get from them

542thruNthru

Amen brother !….I left this year , when I was the last of the old timers …seniority isn’t completely dead , no respect from sorry supervisors half your age who couldn’t HACK IT AS A DELIVERY DRIVER , SO THEY HAD TO GO INTO MGT …THEY WERE BORN “YES MEN” who know LESS THAN THE “GUY BEHIND THE CURTAIN “!..the NEW DRIVERS Have NO RESPECT FOR CUSTOMERS …I WAS HIRED TO BE A SERVICE PROVIDER….new driver are trained by sups her were drivers for 6 months …ITS GONE …BIG BROWN WILL FALL EVENTUALLY….And I didn’t want to be part of it ….almost 34 years , same route from day 1 ….I’M OUT ( microphone falls ) … good luck to u and all the old timers…….
Same route since day one! Geez you were a bigger rookie than all the 22.4s in my building. Lol

Est.1998

I had one left in the rain on Friday by USPS, no bag. I was home luckily or it would have been destroyed.
See it all the time when approaching a home and Amazon, FedEx and USPS has already delivered.
Pkgs at the bottom of the steps or barely on the porch.
And each time i gather all the parcels together and place them beside the door, knock knock ring.
I give UPS 10 maybe 15 more years If they are lucky before they vanish. The writing is on the wall.

But since the writing is on the wall, and I'll be unemployed in 10 years, i might as well just paperboy everything under 5lbs.

See it all the time when approaching a home and Amazon, FedEx and USPS has already delivered.
Pkgs at the bottom of the steps or barely on the porch.
And each time i gather all the parcels together and place them beside the door, knock knock ring.

But since the writing is on the wall, and I'll be unemployed in 10 years, i might as well just paperboy everything under 5lbs.
We are better than this