UPS to become the Sears & Robuck Of shipping??

quad decade guy

Interesting...

We will go out of business because of cost. True.

Now, what will that look like or be like....

Have you considered that Amazon or whoever would just let a complete shipping network evaporate?

Would probably take the choice parts and sell off the rest...liquidate in Bankruptcy...etc.

Buy a Hub here, there etc....

If Amazon is to become the biggest.....they are going to need to expand. And sometimes our hubs are nearby to theirs....airports etc.....again a complete shipping network.

Vehicles...I'm not sure....Amazon does well with contractors.....why would they change that?

Now, what to do?

Well, we have hotheads right here on BC wanting to strike.....

Vaccines to PVD's.

How do you reduce costs in a Company that won't even fix a toilet?

Sears went out of business because they didn't have a product anyone wanted...

UPS has a product that has seen fantastic growth.

Yet, I can't imagine anyone wanting to take a cut in pay....

Even down to Fed Ex wages.......or give up benefits.

Lose our jobs and all that means or compromise?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
It's a grab-bag.
I see myself, More often than not, fixing the mistakes of other delivery drivers. Especially from within the same company.
What nobody seems to understand is it is times like these where it is important to invest in your newer drivers and let them learn from their mistakes as long as they are invested in you and in learning from others (even if they are 'maliciously' betting on the company, like me). This is where the company is collapsing in.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Volume is on the decline, Amazon has vanished from our building along with half our residential stops. Better not Bigger means less jobs, less union jobs.

You guys aren’t looking at the big picture. It’s about the pensions. Out west roughly 6 of every 10 dollars contributed into our pension are UPS dollars all the while far less going out is UPS specific. Without UPS a lot of halls around the country will cease to exist. So yeah, less jobs means less contributions and more drain from the pensions and more strain on UPS.

The Union is well aware of the threat that Amazon presents to both UPS and the Union regardless of all you having your heads buried in the sand. Look at the use of PVD’s and the Unions inability to stop their existence. Yeah us old timers complain about young entitled punks but sub contracting sure the hell would of never happened 20 years ago.

By the way just incase no one noticed, the lead article on BC tonight specifically talks about how we are no longer the largest courier. Evidently that’s Fed Ex now, still think this is funny.

quad decade guy

In 5 to 7 years Amazon will buy UPS for it's infrastructure. And we will be grateful for it.
Ok. I believe we will be sold....

But grateful? What?

No man....that means the end of your career. Life as we know it. The end.

There is NO WAY on Earth that AMAZON will have our Union Structure.

Now, the question is: Once UPS is gone(as we know it)(pensions)....how long will the pensions last? With no contributions....

Not very long. Simple. Some of us can retire and will......we just won't be able to draw very long.

quad decade guy

I always see posts about people striking. What are they crying about?
The loudmouth hotheads?

Same ones from 1997.....we see how that turned out....

They think further harming the company will preserve their jobs. Hint: We still haven't recovered the volume we lost to Fed-Ex in 1997. Who(Fed-Ex) is the biggest now I hear.

Record profits you say? Just icing on the cake to make us more attractive to sell.

Naw, a little garrish blue paint and upturned phalic symbol(ever really looked at it?)....a few sign changes.....and UPS is now Amazon.

BrownStains

A few years back fedex stopped delivering amazon because they viewed them as competition and they wanted to focus on gaining more small medium shippers. They have also partnered with Walmart . Ups was in denial about amazon being competition .

Overpaid Union Thug

By the way just incase no one noticed, the lead article on BC tonight specifically talks about how we are no longer the largest courier. Evidently that’s Fed Ex now, still think this is funny.
Bigger but severely lacking in the “on time” statistics. The question is….do customers care? You’d think so with everyone expecting “free” two day shipping from Amazon.

The major issue (even way before Amazon) was our labor costs. A few on this board have stated repeatedly that those costs would hurt us eventually and Tome’s strategy (along with the very article you mentioned) has shown those concerns to have been valid and realized. Whether or not we deserve our pay and benefits, and whether or not UPS can afford to pay them, is irrelevant. It’s hard to compete with competition that is able to constantly recycle bodies for a fraction of the pay while also being a publicly owned company. And the latter is how we ended up with ORION. The biggest failure/waste of money ever by UPS.
A few years back fedex stopped delivering amazon because they viewed them as competition and they wanted to focus on gaining more small medium shippers. They have also partnered with Walmart . Ups was in denial about amazon being competition .

The current FedEx/Walmart relationship is similar to what we just went through with Amazon. Most FedEx residential trucks/rentals I see are 90% Walmart. That’s not good. We seem to be sharing target with them and the USPS.
In 5 to 7 years Amazon will buy UPS for it's infrastructure. And we will be grateful for it.
They’d likely buy FedEx over us since they are non union. I suspect Amazon wouldn’t be permitted to be that big. They already are and should be broken up. In addition to being investigated. Non of which would be required if Americans would wake up and see Amazon for what they are in stop using them.

By the way. If Fed Ex really has passed us then we’re actually on track for being #3 WHEN (not if) Amazon passes both of us next year or 2023. People can deny all they want. But it’s true. Yes, they are delivering their own stuff. But that stuff would otherwise by on UPS or FedEx trucks otherwise. Why care? That’s less work for us. Less work means less pension contributions. Those of us that’s been around a while should be alright for a while. Everyone should worry. But I don’t think this new generation thinks long term to even be concerned with pensions so….oh well.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I think we'd be better off if all the old men with 30+ years just finally retired and quit bitching about unshined shoes.

That just my observation though.
I wish they would stop walking around in circles asking everybody if they have seen their clipboard and bow tie…smfh