UPS Towed My Car From Employee Parking Lot

A

anonymous6

I've got an old beater and apparently some genious in management had LP call the local police to have it towed bc they said it was an abandoned vehicle.

The car is legally reg and insured in my name and i have been driving it to work on and off for the last 6 years.

They didn't bother to call in the plates to see who the registered owner and to cross check with HR and confirm that I am an employee.

They paid to get it out of impound but get this. There is a lever to engage the 4 wheel drive ( subaru ) and i had left it engaged due to snow conditions and the parking brake was on. the car was locked up tight.

Now today there is a major storm in the Sierra and my 4 wheel drive NO LONGER WORKS!

Never had a problem before. we called another tow co. and they said it is POSSIBLE that the driver damaged the 4 wheel drive. I don't see any other explanation.

So what recourse do I have. The bill was in my name but the manager paid it with a CC. Am I gonna have to take the tow co, to small claims?

I'm talking with the BA tomorrow to get some advice and then speaking with the Hub manager.

i thought i would run it here too to get everyones take on it.

does this TAKE THE CAKE or what???:angry:

UPSNewbie

I've got an old beater and apparently some genious in management had LP call the local police to have it towed bc they said it was an abandoned vehicle.

The car is legally reg and insured in my name and i have been driving it to work on and off for the last 6 years.

They didn't bother to call in the plates to see who the registered owner and to cross check with HR and confirm that I am an employee.

They paid to get it out of impound but get this. There is a lever to engage the 4 wheel drive ( subaru ) and i had left it engaged due to snow conditions and the parking brake was on. the car was locked up tight.

Now today there is a major storm in the Sierra and my 4 wheel drive NO LONGER WORKS!

Never had a problem before. we called another tow co. and they said it is POSSIBLE that the driver damaged the 4 wheel drive. I don't see any other explanation.

So what recourse do I have. The bill was in my name but the manager paid it with a CC. Am I gonna have to take the tow co, to small claims?

I'm talking with the BA tomorrow to get some advice and then speaking with the Hub manager.

i thought i would run it here too to get everyones take on it.

does this TAKE THE CAKE or what???:angry:

So my jaw was wide open, reading from "LP" to the end... Wow.

bluehdmc

Where I work, (Parsippany, NJ) there are not enough parking spaces, particularly when the twilight sort starts, most of the package car drivers are out, feeder drivers are coming in, etc. This is really bad during peak! So......people park in "fire lanes", (along the driveway to the employee parking lots). Well same thing here, someone in the bldg called the police and they came and ticketed cars for parking in the fire zones! That takes a college degree to figure out that people parked there because there isn't sufficient parking! DUH!!!!!!
So what happened to you doesn't surprise me.

drewed

Shankman
I dont think you come after UPS, itd be the tow company youd come after....
Did you park it somewhere you werent supposed to?
And I would think it would be hard to prove that it was working before?

upsgrunt

It would be just as hard to prove it wasn't!

upsgrunt

UPS admitted wrong when the tow bill was paid by them. There would be no claim of damage if the vehicle wasn't towed to begin with. Whether the liability of the damage lays with UPS or the towing company, I don't have a clue. I would bet a mechanic could tell if the 4wd was damaged by the towing, and then that diagnosis fee would be added to the reward/expense of the judgement, if it went that far.

A

anonymous6

I was parked in a legal spot in the employee lot. it's gonna be a real headache to go after the tow co. when UPS had no justification to tow it in the first place.

A

anonymous6

UPS admitted wrong when the tow bill was paid by them. There would be no claim of damage if the vehicle wasn't towed to begin with. Whether the liability of the damage lays with UPS or the towing company, I don't have a clue. I would bet a mechanic could tell if the 4wd was damaged by the towing, and then that diagnosis fee would be added to the reward/expense of the judgement, if it went that far.

I agree with you. I'll probably have to go to 2=3 repair shops to have it checked out.

I'm sure UPS is gonna have me jump thru hoops to get it fixed if it was in fact the tow co fault. Probably turn it around and blame me for having a beater car in the first place.

drewed

Shankman
I agree with you. I'll probably have to go to 2=3 repair shops to have it checked out.

I'm sure UPS is gonna have me jump thru hoops to get it fixed if it was in fact the tow co fault. Probably turn it around and blame me for having a beater car in the first place.

Honestly I think it would be EASY to prove that he hadnt been taking care of the 4wd not changing fluids in the transfer case, u joints, hubs things like that

Its a ****ty situation but i think youd have to prove how they towed your car......

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The burden of proof would be that it was though.

Sorry Drew, you are wrong. All he has to do is alledge that it was working, and because UPS took it upon themselves to remove the car, they are at fault. Now, UPS might go after the tow company, but I doubt it would be worth it.

Get a couple of repair estimates, then go to the center management.

I doubt the union will get involved, but you never know.

But UPS is on the hook for damages, real or otherwise. They have to prove it was damaged before, which would be impossible.

They overstepped their bounds, they took the responsibility to move the car, they are responsible. Period.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Honestly I think it would be EASY to prove that he hadnt been taking care of the 4wd not changing fluids in the transfer case, u joints, hubs things like that

Drew, you been watching too many TV stories.

And while you honestly think UPS would find it easy to prove that he had not been taken care of the car, that is not what is at issue. They moved the car. They are responsible. Period. All this other nonsense is just that, nonsense. Smoke and mirrors.

You say you are part time in management? Boy, I bet there are a bunch of people that cant wait till you get full time.

They messed up, they are on the hook.

d

drewed

Shankman
Well what about the route cause of why they thought it was abandoned? Snow covered? covering plates? Customer counter parking?

A

anonymous6

Sorry Drew, you are wrong. All he has to do is alledge that it was working, and because UPS took it upon themselves to remove the car, they are at fault. Now, UPS might go after the tow company, but I doubt it would be worth it.

Get a couple of repair estimates, then go to the center management.

I doubt the union will get involved, but you never know.

But UPS is on the hook for damages, real or otherwise. They have to prove it was damaged before, which would be impossible.

They overstepped their bounds, they took the responsibility to move the car, they are responsible. Period.

d

They admitted guilt by apologizing and paying the bill. They thought someone had left a junker in their lot.

At first I thought someone stole it. The police told me UPS management requested it towed.