UPS Towed My Car From Employee Parking Lot

over9five

Staff member
Orange, what did you do when you found it gone? I would guess you assumed it was stolen. How did you find out it had been towed away?

I would expect compensation from your punch out time that day until you had your car back in addition to UPS paying for the 4X4 to be fixed.

brownrodster

the question to ask though is why did he have you towed. Did you leave the vehicle sitting in the same spot for more then a couple of days?

Drivers work a lot of hours. So I would hazard a guess that his car was there everyday when a certain someone came to work and left work, thus they thought it was abandoned. I know I come to work before all the suits and leave work after all the suits in my building. So it would be easy for one of them to confuse my vehicle for abandoned If I parked my crappy car in the same spot everyday........ Just a guess....

sexyupsman

I dont think you come after UPS, itd be the tow company youd come after....
Did you park it somewhere you werent supposed to?
And I would think it would be hard to prove that it was working before?
I have to agree with drewed, its the towing company you need to sue. However, how shi**y that UPS didnt check. I have been to my local hub and swaped cars with my driver and there are quite a few clunkers in the parking lot. That sucks!

kingOFchester

Sorry to hear about your "hoopdi". No offense, I drive a hoopdi too.

Here is the way I see it. UPS is liable. It is their responsibility to deal with the towing company ( and the towing compaines mandated insurance) as it was their actions that led to the damages. They have already acknowledged liabilty by paying the towing fee.

UPS is liable as they had a legally parked vehicle towed.
If it were me, I would get a mechanic to look at the 4X4. It should be easily determined whether the damage was caused by the towing. If it appears that way, get the mechanic to sign an affidavit stating his findings. I would then draft a letter, send it registered mail, along with the affidavit, to UPS.

Basicly the letter would be like this,
Dear Joe Thumb,
As you may be aware, UPS had my vehicle towed from your parking lot while I punched in on the clock. The vehicle is up to date as required by law. During the tow my 4x4 was damaged. Enclosed you will see an afidavit from a mechanic stating that the damaged was caused by the illegal tow. Being that UPS has acknowledged wrong doing by paying for the tow, I expect UPS to make me whole by paying for the repairs to my vehicle. I would be willing to get several estimates and we can agree to the cheapest option. I expect to hear back from you by the end of next week. If not, I will be forced to hire an attorney to look at all of my options.
UPS will either ignore you, deny you, or agree. I feel as though they would need to work out the financials with the towing company. You had no say in who towed your car. UPS is the one that had it towed by the company that they have a contract with.

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
This is kinda off topic but it is related to UPS parking. Our pre-load full time supervisor(i'm not sure what his position is called but he's above all other full time preload sups and is soley in charge of preload, but is not center manager) always parks in the same spot smack in the middle where all the pre-loaders park in the morning.

Today he was late. One of the pre-loaders parked in his spot.

During PCM he sent one of the lower part-time sups out of the office with a clipboard to ask who drove a black ford truck, the preloader raised his hand and the supervisor proceeded to say "From now on do not park in (Preloader Main Supervisor's) spot"

Everybody busted out in laughter, it was ridiculous that this supervisor actually considered one of the parking spots his, which of course is unmarked like all the rest.

Just thought i'd share another example of idiot management on a power trip.

Last edited:
A

anonymous6

I was thinking the same thing Danny, either that or Drewed is just sooooo brown oriented he can't see the company ever being wrong. I should send him my ' Brown to the Bone" T-Shirt.

It's very interesting reading the comments from both sides, i.e hourly's and the others.

that's why I think it will come down to a judge and court. I'll be very surprised if UPS does the right thing since they had the car towed making a false assumption.

Whoever said that the tow co is ultimately responsible is right.

UPS will probably say " Go after the tow co. "

UPS paid the bill but the vehicle and bill was under my name.

rod

Retired 22 years
This is kinda off topic but it is related to UPS parking. Our pre-load full time supervisor(i'm not sure what his position is called but he's above all other full time preload sups and is soley in charge of preload, but is not center manager) always parks in the same spot smack in the middle where all the pre-loaders park in the morning.

Today he was late. One of the pre-loaders parked in his spot.

During PCM he sent one of the lower part-time sups out of the office with a clipboard to ask who drove a black ford truck, the preloader raised his hand and the supervisor proceeded to say "From now on do not park in (Preloader Main Supervisor's) spot"

Everybody busted out in laughter, it was ridiculous that this supervisor actually considered one of the parking spots his, which of course is unmarked like all the rest.

Just thought i'd share another example of idiot management on a power trip.

I would go out of my way to steal his spot every chance I got

A

anonymous6

Your car would have never been towed here. Local ordinances prohibit towing cars out of a lot that’s open to the public unless there are signs posted. The absence of any signs, other than “Fire Lane” and Handicap” makes our employee lot “Open to the Public”. Our lot is way too small, UPS did expand the lot late last year now they fill the expansion with empty trailers.

Your 4-wheel drive issue…….If the towing company used a flat bed they may have an out. Your wheels wouldn’t have reached enough speed to do any damage.

a tow co we called said that they could of strained something and broke it even just putting it on a flatbed. I'll have to go to several shops on my own time for estmates and professional opinions.

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
I would go out of my way to steal his spot every chance I got

What I really want to do is get some white paint and paint his name in that spot, maybe it'll get him in trouble with the center manager.

But if I parked in his spot he might have it towed like the author of this post lol :surprised:

rod

Retired 22 years
a tow co we called said that they could of strained something and broke it even just putting it on a flatbed. I'll have to go to several shops on my own time for estmates and professional opinions.

So have you confronted your hub manager yet to see if he will fix your problem?

backinbrown

respect my authority
Your car would have never been towed here. Local ordinances prohibit towing cars out of a lot that’s open to the public unless there are signs posted. The absence of any signs, other than “Fire Lane” and Handicap” makes our employee lot “Open to the Public”. Our lot is way too small, UPS did expand the lot late last year now they fill the expansion with empty trailers.

Your 4-wheel drive issue…….If the towing company used a flat bed they may have an out. Your wheels wouldn’t have reached enough speed to do any damage.

At our center we have a gate that is locked every night so it is not open to public in my center.

I think they should have asked who's vehicle it was before having it towed to at least give the owner a chance to move it.

A

anonymous6

If you were legally parked then go to your boss and file an incident report for damage to your vehicle.

the question to ask though is why did he have you towed. Did you leave the vehicle sitting in the same spot for more then a couple of days?

our lot supposedly has 24 hr video surveillance. And no , I do not park in the same place everyday.

the only answer I got is that LP thought it was an abandoned vehicle. It is 25 years old and looks it.

but i have been driving it to work for the last 6 YEARS. Almost everyone knows it's my car. It looks out of place in the lot especially with all the new cars, trucks that everyone buys here.

I get a lot of kidding about it but bottom line it gets me from point A to point B.

I pay $50 a year for registration. Pay $245 a year for the min insurance. The car gets about 33 mpg .

I save a lot of money compared to ALL the other drivers and use it for other priorities.

I need this 4WD very badly. We live in the Sierra and it snows all winter. Today we are expecting 5-10 inches before midnight and another 6-10 inches after midnight. It takes me at least an hr to get to and from work in bad weather. plus 14-16 hrs of work ( we go over Donner Summit )

now I have to throw chains on the car too.

backinbrown

respect my authority
our lot supposedly has 24 hr video surveillance. And no , I do not park in the same place everyday.

the only answer I got is that LP thought it was an abandoned vehicle. It is 25 years old and looks it.

but i have been driving it to work for the last 6 YEARS. Almost everyone knows it's my car. It looks out of place in the lot especially with all the new cars, trucks that everyone buys here.

I get a lot of kidding about it but bottom line it gets me from point A to point B.

I pay $50 a year for registration. Pay $245 a year for the min insurance. The car gets about 33 mpg .

I save a lot of money compared to ALL the other drivers and use it for other priorities.

I need this 4WD very badly. We live in the Sierra and it snows all winter. Today we are expecting 5-10 inches before midnight and another 6-10 inches after midnight. It takes me at least an hr to get to and from work in bad weather. plus 14-16 hrs of work ( we go over Donner Summit )

could they have towed you because of snow

P

pickup

you got busted by the fashion police for not having an up to date car. What is wrong with you? Don't you know you are supposed to have a new car every three years? Preferably a lexus, or a new oversized vehicle? Don't worry about financing, everybody does it! And if you can't afford the car that says that you are important, there is always leasing which can it make it seem like that you do indeed own that bmw that says you have arrived.:happy2:

P

pickup

Orangeputeh, I would suggest that to get in a better frame of mind, you read Laws of life , by John Templeton. This book might give you some ideas on how to resolve this. :happy-very: ( alright, I am busting your chops, I actually intend to get this book next time I am in the bookstore due to your mentioning it a few times here in the browncafe.)

A

anonymous6

Orange, what did you do when you found it gone? I would guess you assumed it was stolen. How did you find out it had been towed away?

I would expect compensation from your punch out time that day until you had your car back in addition to UPS paying for the 4X4 to be fixed.

If you read all my posts you will find all the answers to yyour questions. Thanks for your input.

kingOFchester

Stay with me on this.....

You are in CA, right?

If so, the law states that YOU are entitled to "double the storage or towing charges" because they did not follow paragraph 2 which states "The vehicle has been issued a notice of parking violation, and 96 hours have elapsed since the issuance of that notice"

UPS would also and I quote "and fails to comply with that subdivision is guilty of an infraction, punishable by a fine of one thousand dollars ($1,000"

Further more The tow truck operator and the towing company, not the association, are liable for damage caused to towed vehicles. However, if it can be shown that the vehicle was due to damaged an intentional or negligent act of the association, it can be liable for the damage
Ca vehicle code 22658

A

anonymous6

Orangeputeh, I would suggest that to get in a better frame of mind, you read Laws of life , by John Templeton. This book might give you some ideas on how to resolve this. :happy-very: ( alright, I am busting your chops, I actually intend to get this book next time I am in the bookstore due to your mentioning it a few times here in the browncafe.)

Pickup, you are exactly RIGHT. I'm lucky we have had several days to think about this. Saturday was tough. My wife is more angry than me. Wr have more important issues going on right now than to have to deal with this too.

Everyone we have talked to agrees that this is not in anyway our fault. I have layed down every fact.

Does anyone thing I should let UPS off the hook ? Will this put me on the RADAR for future harassment?

This is the only vehicle i have right now. People at work ( including management ) have suggested in the past that I buy a NEW or better car.

Why?