Ups vs. FedEx ground "hd"

1Simplemann

Mr Fed Ex guy. Here's the differences. $35 hr plus OT and plenty of it. My gross for the last 6th months was 53K. In August we get another raise. $1 hr??? not sure but we get a raise. Next 6 months will be probly 55K. so 106-108 k for the same type of work you do. We get almost $9 hr towards our retirement. When I'm eligible to retire at 58 , it should be $4500 month and should be about $100 a month extra for every yr that I continue after age 58. We don't have to pay into a fund to get a vacation. Most ridiculous thing I ever heard of! Fred's laughing to the bank on that one! I get 5 weeks of vacation. 4 personal paid days off, 6 sick days and holiday pay on most of the major holidays. I have an insurance plan that cover myself and spouse I pay NOTHING for it although sometimes we have a $20 co pay. Peanuts. Oh and I have a UNION behind me that generally has my back when the company tries to screw you over. I have job security and can't be fired or harassed although UPS does try this to those that let them. We also have grievance procedure that handles differences of opinion. Which means A LOT because most big corperations just wanna "take" from there employees. From what I gather from the FEG guys here locally, if I add it all up, we(I) make about 5-6 times what you make although it sounds like you make a little more. So you do the math., if your going to sacrifice your body why not get paid for it?

bacha29

Mr Fed Ex guy. Here's the differences. $35 hr plus OT and plenty of it. My gross for the last 6th months was 53K. In August we get another raise. $1 hr??? not sure but we get a raise. Next 6 months will be probly 55K. so 106-108 k for the same type of work you do. We get almost $9 hr towards our retirement. When I'm eligible to retire at 58 , it should be $4500 month and should be about $100 a month extra for every yr that I continue after age 58. We don't have to pay into a fund to get a vacation. Most ridiculous thing I ever heard of! Fred's laughing to the bank on that one! I get 5 weeks of vacation. 4 personal paid days off, 6 sick days and holiday pay on most of the major holidays. I have an insurance plan that cover myself and spouse I pay NOTHING for it although sometimes we have a $20 co pay. Peanuts. Oh and I have a UNION behind me that generally has my back when the company tries to screw you over. I have job security and can't be fired or harassed although UPS does try this to those that let them. We also have grievance procedure that handles differences of opinion. Which means A LOT because most big corperations just wanna "take" from there employees. From what I gather from the FEG guys here locally, if I add it all up, we(I) make about 5-6 times what you make although it sounds like you make a little more. So you do the math., if your going to sacrifice your body why not get paid for it?
Compensation vs compensation between a UPS driver with a little bit of seniority and the average Fedex Ground contractor driver and it is indeed 5 to 6 times greater. With a disparity that great contractors are lucky to get anything at all in the way of effort from their drivers and in the future getting people to take the job to begin with will be more difficult.

bacha29

Look for that gap to become more narrow in 2018.
I'm curious UPSTATE just what are you basing you claim of a narrowing of pay scale on? The only thing that can close such a huge pay disparity would be massive wage concessions by UPS drivers and that isn't going to happen

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm curious UPSTATE just what are you basing you claim of a narrowing of pay scale on? The only thing that can close such a huge pay disparity would be massive wage concessions by UPS drivers and that isn't going to happen

It won't happen overnight but I look for new FT hires in 2018 to have a 5 year progression with a lower starting and top out rate.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It won't happen overnight but I look for new FT hires in 2018 to have a 5 year progression with a lower starting and top out rate.
where are you getting this from? You're in the smallest center in the world.

Dave, you've been wrong on everything concerning the union and our contract. Give it up skippy. These things are above your pay grade and experience.

bacha29

With the downward pressure on contractor settlements it will be nearly impossible for them to move up pay very much. Therefore without a wholesale evisceration of the UPS wage package a meaningful closing of the gap is unlikely

Orion inc.

I like turtles
They are called predictions for a reason.

If tomorrow is also a "boys day", take then to see "Life as Pets".

Except your "predictions " are always wrong in this field. They will continue to be. Leave it to the ones who will negotiate it. You'll be retired anyway.

Life as pets is on the list for the little one. Tomorrow is Sunday dinner which in our family includes a big Italian meal. Meatballs and gravy are on the menu and my brother is coming over with his family. It will be a pool day with 110 heat index