UPS Whistleblowers- Happy National Whistleblowers Appreciation Day!

Integrity

Binge Poster
Should the company use discipline to correct the behavior?
I would say "discipline" as we know it at UPS, would not be the initial approach to the situation.

IMO The initial approach should be finding out why the employee is having problems and then remove any barriers that may be in the way of the employee doing what is needed. Coaching, retraining, demonstrating all would be appropriate initial responses.

After all this is attempted and if the employee belligerently refuses to follow the training, I would expect the local management to ask the shop steward to assist in helping the employee before discipline is even considered an option.

Thebrownblob

I would say "discipline" as we know it at UPS, would not be the initial approach to the situation.

IMO The initial approach should be finding out why the employee is having problems and then remove any barriers that may be in the way of the employee doing what is needed. Coaching, retraining, demonstrating all would be appropriate initial responses. You’re asking one side to take on all the responsibility and when something goes wrong you want to blame just the one side. That’s not an agreement I would make on my end either.

After all this is attempted and if the employee belligerently refuses to follow the training, I would expect the local management to ask the shop steward to assist in helping the employee before discipline is even considered an option.
As a long time shop Steward I can promise you that would never work. I’m with you on UPS providing are the tools and adequate hydration weenie, making people use it is another story and I am not for that that is their personal choice. Have you ever heard the term you can lead a horse to water?

Nah
IMO The initial approach should be finding out why the employee is having problems and then remove any barriers that may be in the way of the employee doing what is needed. Coaching, retraining, demonstrating all would be appropriate initial responses.
I don't know how effective that would be. People who don't care about their health aren't going to be "trained" into it. And some prefer to learn the hard way... Smashing Monster energy drinks until it finally gets hot enough outside for something to happen. Then maybe they'll drink more water.

Thebrownblob

I don't know how effective that would be. People who don't care about their health aren't going to be "trained" into it. And some prefer to learn the hard way... Smashing Monster energy drinks until it finally gets hot enough outside for something to happen. Then maybe they'll drink more water.
He’s asking the company to take all the responsibility on their end including media scrutiny if Something Happens while providing everything even if one of the employees chooses not to use it. And I can promise you I have quite a few drivers who spend half the night drinking adult beverages and then come in with a lunchbox full of monster energy drinks and no water or even a water jug. I’m not judging them I’m just making the point that they’re choosing that. That’s not an agreement I would make if I was negotiating something.

rod

Retired 22 years
The estimate of 8 oz per 15 minutes is a recommendation from health and safety professionals for continuous hydration in hot weather. A adequate supply for UPS Drivers of 3 gallons based upon this is reasonable.
I challenge you to drink 8 oz. every 15 minutes ALL DAY LONG.

1659388385205.png

Maybe UPS will get you an antique Red Wing water jug.

Integrity

Binge Poster
They also gave out brown water jugs with the UPS emblem on them this summer summer, I received one and put water in ice in it and it only stayed cool for about three hours in the back of the truck, no way it was in the 50 to 60° range temperature wise. Is that sufficient?
What was the liquid capacity of the brown water jugs?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Nope. Free water is.
Not according to OSHA. Why are you against this so?
We’ve survived for over a century before OSHA mandated free water.
This is irrelevant to current OSHA requirements.
Adults know how to take care of themselves and stay safe. We do not need our employer nor the government to keep us alive. That is our responsibility.
Irrelevant to UPS responsible regarding drinking water.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Because you’re the only one without personal responsibility.
No
You’re the only one that relies on the Company to keep you alive.
No
We all manage just fine. I make $100K a year. I can afford a water jug and fill it with free water provided by UPS before I leave.
I can afford it but UPS can afford it more than I can, and it is UPS responsibility.

Why would I pay for something that UPS is required to pay for?

They only do it for me because they know they have to.

Thebrownblob

Bottled water not suitably cool doesn't meet OSHA requirements.
I think we’ve been over this I don’t drink chilled water most of the day because it hurts my stomach I don’t care what OSHA says. I generally used the chilled water to pour on top of my head if I get super hot.

Pullman Brown

@Integrity

Hasty Generalization Fallacy

A hasty generalization is one example of a logical fallacy, wherein someone reaches a conclusion that is not justified logically by objective or sufficient evidence.

One major cause of a faulty generalization is when people reach a conclusion based on a sample size that’s too small: it’s an argument that moves from the particular to the general, extrapolating a finding about that small sample size and applying it to a much larger population.

Integrity

Binge Poster

Under federal law and regulation at 49 CFR 392.3, drivers are prohibited from driving when ill or tired, and companies are not allowed to require or allow a driver to operate a commercial vehicle if the driver’s ability to drive is impaired by such conditions as illness or fatigue. This is known as the “driver fatigue rule.”

Six day punches! Whistle Blow this!
Base upon what you present I think you can put together a good case for a formal complaint, however OSHA has been very responsive to me when I have exhausted all or at least most of the UPS and Teamsters internal processes first.

I would recommend you present your position and your desired outcome to your Employee Safety Committee Representative first.

Do this and let me know exactly what they say.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Here's one: soap and water in the bathroom. A few months before I got my education transfer I went on vacation. Got exposed to hep A (didn't get it myself). I became a stickler for soap and water. Soap was almost always empty. It was an ordeal trying to get them to fix it.
Let your Shop Steward know, let me know exactly what he says.