USA today on deaths at FDX Newark

Working4the1%

COVID-19 deaths among FedEx workers in Newark leave families, employees questioning company’s response...long read..but its the usual $$$$ versus Lives

AB831

On Friday, our senior told us that we had our first positive case within the station. He assured us how they were taking every proper precaution and had traced every contact with whom the infected person had recently associated. His advice was "just keep using the wipes to clean your trucks" to which he was met with at least a dozen "what wipes?" questions. He stood there stammering for a minute and then clarified that he thought they had distributed the wipes that the company ordered. So.....it sounds like this will be handled with the standard level of bungling and incompetence as everything else within the company. At least they don't break precedent under duress.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I've been taking a break from the site, but reading this confirms my worst fears of how FedEx would handle Covid-19. Based on this article, and from what I hear from friends all over the country at various locations, it's all about the company minimizing the degree of risk to employees and maximizing the mantra that you have a "duty" to come to work. If you get sick and die, they send flowers, make their usual statement as described in the linked article above, and go on about the business of trying to make Fred as much money as possible.

It's really shocking how poorly the company acted in it's "efforts" to protect workers. Promised supplies are either not provided, or are in very short supply. They've still got too many people working too close together in the cans and on the sort, and obviously don't really care enough to take it seriously. It's pretty evident that employers are going to be protected from any legal actions regarding the pandemic, regardless of how carelessly they've handled working conditions.

When the FedEx pilot died recently from Covid-19, it was front page news in the Commercial Appeal. How many handlers have died in MEM or the other hubs, and had their deaths NOT reported because they weren't important like a pilot? I would fully expect that the pilots get full protection(now) and also accurate information as to who has been infected and who needs to quarantine. They are probably also receiving hazard pay while nobody else is, but that information isn't going to be dispersed, is it?

It won't be long before Dano and Friends come on and tell us all how totally responsible FedEx has been throughout this crisis, and that these deaths were all unavoidable etc. Sure, there are going to be plenty of cases in a large company, but how many could have been prevented by slowing down sorts, keeping 1 person to a can, and providing proper PPE and sanitation equipment?

Like Trump, it appears that FedEx is more than willing to have lots of people die to keep the economy going. it's "acceptable", because it's an essential industry and the little people are expendables. That's wrong.

FedEx could still operate, albeit more slowly and inefficiently, by diverting freight to lesser-affected hubs, and by vastly improving the manner in which it conducts station operations, particularly the sorts and reloads. The commitment times are gone anyway, so why not slow the whole thing down and do it as SAFELY as possible?

Somehow, I don't see it happening.

Bingo

I guess I would be a a friend of Dano. My station happens to be doing everything right. Everything you mention is being done at my station. Also one has to balance safety and common sense in everything we do. Example- would we would have less driving fatalities if the speed limit was 20 miles per hour and no more then one person per vechicle. Would there be less domestic violence if all alcohol was banned. Would we have less heart disease if we were able to ban eating all animal products. These are all ideas that sound far fetch. However different governments of the world have come with some far fetch ideas with covid-19

MassWineGuy

Yes on the red meat ban results. And no doubt yes on alcohol.

My station has plenty of wipes, disinfectant and masks. Usually gloves. But like Dorothy Parker commented: “You can lead a whore to culture but you can’t make her think.” People need to use this stuff, if available. We can’t force them to take safety measures.

In other words, you can’t fix stupid.

Last edited:

vantexan

My station has plenty of wipes, disinfectant and masks. Usually gloves. But like Dorothy Parker commented: “You can lead a whore to culture but you can’t make her think.” People need to use this stuff, if available. We can’t force them to take safety measures.
Well horticulture is about plants after all.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
from what I hear from friends all over the country at various locations,

Nice to see you dust off that trope.

It won't be long before Dano and Friends come on and tell us all how totally responsible FedEx has been throughout this crisis, and that these deaths were all unavoidable etc. Sure, there are going to be plenty of cases in a large company, but how many could have been prevented by slowing down sorts, keeping 1 person to a can, and providing proper PPE and sanitation equipment?

How many of them contracted the virus at work?

FedEx could still operate, albeit more slowly and inefficiently, by diverting freight to lesser-affected hubs, and by vastly improving the manner in which it conducts station operations, particularly the sorts and reloads. The commitment times are gone anyway, so why not slow the whole thing down and do it as SAFELY as possible?

Somehow, I don't see it happening.

Don't get your hopes up.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Nice to see you dust off that trope.

How many of them contracted the virus at work?

Don't get your hopes up.

There's the fallback line I expected...word for word. Of course, it can't be proven where anybody gets it. What is sad that the most likely place (work) won't do very much to give you the best possible chance.

Fred doesn't care, and it's obvious you don't.

Word to the wise, people. Take care of yourself, because FedEx does NOT care a rat's ass about you.

Working4the1%

In other words, you can’t fix stupid.
Gloves just give you FALSE hopes

MAKAVELI

On Friday, our senior told us that we had our first positive case within the station. He assured us how they were taking every proper precaution and had traced every contact with whom the infected person had recently associated. His advice was "just keep using the wipes to clean your trucks" to which he was met with at least a dozen "what wipes?" questions. He stood there stammering for a minute and then clarified that he thought they had distributed the wipes that the company ordered. So.....it sounds like this will be handled with the standard level of bungling and incompetence as everything else within the company. At least they don't break precedent under duress.
Ask him if he had the station professionally sanitized mandated by the CDC

MassWineGuy

Gloves just give you FALSE hopes

Probably. And it’s very hard not to touch my face. But I wash my gloved hands just like I do when they’re not gloved. But gloves, masks and disinfectant are what we have to work with.

I don’t remember the CDC guidelines mandating professional cleaning. But I could have missed it.

I take floating holidays tomorrow and Tuesday, so at least my risk there is lessened a bit. Of course, I volunteered to help next Saturday for the Mother’s Day rush.

48meeting

are you guys content with the #fedexstrong masks we were given?

our station asked us to wear those purple shirts some friday ago that have a slogan saying this is who we are and what we do, something along those lines.

Coworkers actually came to work with them on . Only a handful didn't.

searched the hashtag online and found selfies workers posted.

bacha29

There's the fallback line I expected...word for word. Of course, it can't be proven where anybody gets it. What is sad that the most likely place (work) won't do very much to give you the best possible chance.

Fred doesn't care, and it's obvious you don't.

Word to the wise, people. Take care of yourself, because FedEx does NOT care a rat's ass about you.
After having just completed his 180th trip (he likes it) to the Fedex Mind Control And Reeducation Academy Dano's mindset is similar to the Borg He assimilates and responds to every question with a standard response that has been downloaded to his brainwashed little mind. As a result he's harmless, can't hurt anybody so sit back and relax but don't expect answers that we haven't already heard many times before.

It's not our fault that he's addicted to electroshock and waterboarding. We tried to tell him but he wouldn't listen.

I am FedEx

FedEx is not at fault. Every employee was offered the chance to simply state they were afraid to work because of the virus. The employee would keep their position and still receive their medical benefits during this crisis. Anyone choosing to work and get the virus or even worse have a death due to said virus, is no one fault but their own. Options were given, maybe next time take the other route.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
FedEx is not at fault. Every employee was offered the chance to simply state they were afraid to work because of the virus. The employee would keep their position and still receive their medical benefits during this crisis. Anyone choosing to work and get the virus or even worse have a death due to said virus, is no one fault but their own. Options were given, maybe next time take the other route.
Well now, if everyone took that option, you know they'd step in with the usual "we already have 4 people off" jazz and they'd put a halt to it real fast. A FedEx courier has the value of last week's newspaper to Fred. Don't ever forget that while you fill up on the Kool-Aid.

AB831

I've been taking a break from the site, but reading this confirms my worst fears of how FedEx would handle Covid-19. Based on this article, and from what I hear from friends all over the country at various locations, it's all about the company minimizing the degree of risk to employees and maximizing the mantra that you have a "duty" to come to work. If you get sick and die, they send flowers, make their usual statement as described in the linked article above, and go on about the business of trying to make Fred as much money as possible.

Making money for Fred isn't what's important to this company. You can tell that based on the fact that nearly every decision they've made since 2017 has cost them tons of it. What matters to FedEx is looking good to themselves at all costs. Just look at those stupid masks they're handing out. Are they actually tested or approved by doctors or anyone in the medical field whatsoever? I doubt it, but it's a bone for FedEx to throw to the measly pissants, and it's one that can garner a lot of social media photos and yes, make them look good to themselves.

vantexan

Making money for Fred isn't what's important to this company. You can tell that based on the fact that nearly every decision they've made since 2017 has cost them tons of it. What matters to FedEx is looking good to themselves at all costs. Just look at those stupid masks they're handing out. Are they actually tested or approved by doctors or anyone in the medical field whatsoever? I doubt it, but it's a bone for FedEx to throw to the measly pissants, and it's one that can garner a lot of social media photos and yes, make them look good to themselves.
Right up there with their participating in United Way only it's the employees doing the contributing.