USA today on deaths at FDX Newark

dezguy

I share my worldly experiences with them, which are far more valuable than any material items.
But you're an expert on everything! Certainly you have more than that!

You stated "on behalf of my homeless friends". A statement like that indicates you have more than one friend that is homeless.

You're an expert on the ins and outs of FedEx. Have you called your inside contacts to see about getting your homeless friends a job? Have you sent PM's to bbsam and iwbf to see if they would be willing to employ your homeless friends?

You work part time doing people's taxes, so you're an expert at the tax system. Surely, you know of some loopholes to pull your homeless friends out of poverty and into a more secure position in life.

You worked for UPS, loathing the union that allowed you to live a comfortable life. Surely, you have contacts there you could call, on behalf of you homeless friends to try and get them gainfully employed?

Seems to me maybe you should step up for these homeless friends of yours rather than trying to be a big shot on the internet.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was simply having a little but of fun at MWG's expense as I don't have any (homeless) friends.

United Way is a pet peeve of mine. I was always very generous during our annual campaign, generally donating anywhere between $15-30/week. There was one year that I had bumped it up to $50/week but that proved to be a bit too generous. UPS added 15% to whatever we donated to basically cover the administrative fees. 100% of my donation went to our local Hospice as I appreciated what they did for those nearing the ends of their lives.

It used to piss me off that guys making upwards of $100K couldn't be bothered to help out those less fortunate. They would begrudgingly donate $1 just to get mgt off of their backs.

When I was on active duty participation in the military's version of a UW drive was mandatory. Each unit was "required" to have 100% participation and senior enlisted members were expected to cover any shortfalls among the junior members to ensure that the goal was met.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It used to piss me off that guys making upwards of $100K couldn't be bothered to help out those less fortunate. They would begrudgingly donate $1 just to get mgt off of their backs.

The thing about that though, Dave, is you have no idea whatsoever whether those guys making upwards of 100k are donating to those less fortunate than themselves or not. Many people donate quietly or they give of their time to charities. Just because they don’t give to United Way doesn’t mean they don’t give.

oldngray

nowhere special
The thing about that though, Dave, is you have no idea whatsoever whether those guys making upwards of 100k are donating to those less fortunate than themselves or not. Many people donate quietly or they give of their time to charities. Just because they don’t give to United Way doesn’t mean they don’t give.
Agreed. Just because you don't believe in supporting United Way in no way means you don't give to charities.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I didn't say I don't contribute to any charity. I donate to many groups. Just not United Way.

I'm with you. I don't like the fact that FedEx pressures employees to donate to United Way so THEY can look like a good corporate citizen. So, I give privately to charities of my choice too.

It's all about presenting an image of caring and being a "people" company, at least to the public. Fact: United Way personnel aren't generally allowed on-site because that would open the door for other groups to also be on the property, like The Teamsters.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm with you. I don't like the fact that FedEx pressures employees to donate to United Way so THEY can look like a good corporate citizen. So, I give privately to charities of my choice too.

It's all about presenting an image of caring and being a "people" company, at least to the public. Fact: United Way personnel aren't generally allowed on-site because that would open the door for other groups to also be on the property, like The Teamsters.
Agreed. I’ll give to the charity of my choice not Fred’s.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I liked to donate UW through payroll deduction as it allowed to give more than I would have been able to had I been asked to write a single check. Plus the contributions were tax deductible if I itemized.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Fact: United Way personnel aren't generally allowed on-site because that would open the door for other groups to also be on the property, like The Teamsters.

It would open no such door. FedEx can allow whichever organizations it wants onto its properties and for whatever reasons.