USPS employee considering UPS

I currently work for the Post Office as a CCA (City Carrier Assistant). I have a degree, but ended up at the USPS during a layoff situation, and started to make pretty good money, so I've stuck around. I should get moved up to a regular within the next few months. For the most part, I can't stand the job though. I hate fumbling around with mail all day. Management at Post Office is far worse than you can imagine. NOTHING function properly. I've worked at several offices and it's all the same. USPS is really the classic example of a ''too big to fail'' type scenario. It's an incredibly demoralising and toxic atmosphere at work everyday. So I've been chatting with the UPS guy that works in the area I'm in and he said he makes over 90k a year now that he's up to the max wage ($34/hr?). And he gets weekends off! (this is another reason I want to leave USPS. You NEVER get 2 days off in a row, which greatly reduces quality of life). He's not much older than me - early 30's. So I started thinking this week about making the move over to UPS, but then I started reading forums and it seems to be awfully difficult to get a FT gig. I'd be willing to relocate pretty much anywhere in country, If I knew I'd be making that kind of money in 4-5 years.

Curious how common it is for USPS guys to transfer over? Would my USPS employment help me get in? Any suggestions how to go about this?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just remember----the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.
Had a buddy jump ship from ups (6months before his spot for ft came up) to be a cover driver for USPS. 4 years later he quit USPS to try and get hired off the street at UPS.

Now in his mid 30's he trims trees for a living.

Box Ox

The UPS grass might look very different August 1 of next year. Could have regrets if you leave USPS to work up the UPS ladder and don't go FT until after then.

Ghost in the Darkness

Its no different here, washout drivers become sups. You have know-nothings running around regurgitating whatever the division manager screams at them about. Micro management and control is what UPS is, its not about service here. We have a union that has become weak and ineffective. Its not a place going forward I would tell people to work at unless they are desperate for a job.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Also worth considering, I've rarely seen a mail carrier out past 5 pm. These current UPS drivers are working until 8,9,10 pm all across the country. It's the new UPS.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Thanks Ron. I'm aware of that. You must know there are plenty of violations or there wouldn't be any grievances. Not to mention those without cajones to file. The mail carriers still get done earlier on a consistent basis. Even if you're on the list, you ain't getting done by 5 pm on any regular basis.