Veteran's Day

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Pipe cleaner arms. Lmao! :happy2:
You actually don't find many buffed out dudes in combat MOS's, that's kind of a Hollywood thing. Endurance is a better attribute than muscle mass in the infantry and most line companies have a lot of guys who look about like Rod does in that pic.

It will be fine

I am not a Nixon fan and I am somewhat ashamed that I hated him as much as Jones, Sporty and Itzy hate Trump. At least I had an excuse of being a teenager to have such an emotional response to politics.
Some people grow up emotionally and others ... well you can see.
They all seem to have 2 X chromosomes.

Did you have a point or just an ad hominem attack.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Just an observation and then a wry comparison.

Really, to establish that I know what y’all are going through ... although I grew out of that some 40 years ago, I can still feel remember that irrational and emotional state.

Serf

You actually don't find many buffed out dudes in combat MOS's, that's kind of a Hollywood thing. Endurance is a better attribute than muscle mass in the infantry and most line companies have a lot of guys who look about like Rod does in that pic.
I would tend to agree. However, I still hated the 2 mile run we had to do for our PT test. Always said it should be 1 mile.

oldngray

nowhere special
Yeah more like runners than bodybuilders. More about moving your own body weight around and extra bulk muscle mass is kind of a disadvantage. Unless you need a pack mule.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Eh, fair enough. Maybe I thougt I heard PT was M-W-friend. Combatives/jiu jitsu T-Th.
Well it's been a few years, who knows what they do these days. Group PT might have been my least favorite activity anyway, I love working out and running on my own but I despised running in formation and all those stupid calisthenics.

rod

Retired 22 years
PT was every day unless we were in the field.

The Daily Dozen--12 different exercises and I can't remember how many reps each. (Didn't happen in Vietnam and not every day stateside. It was a daily thing in Basic Training and AIT (schooling in your field) after Basic. Once out of schooling it all depended on how gung-ho your Co. Commander was. That was my experience.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The Daily Dozen--12 different exercises and I can't remember how many reps each. (Didn't happen in Vietnam and not every day stateside. It was a daily thing in Basic Training and AIT (schooling in your field) after Basic. Once out of schooling it all depended on how gung-ho your Co. Commander was. That was my experience.
We had some crap called The Daily Seven, I guess they figured marines couldn't count to 12....

rod

Retired 22 years
looks like a fricked up place to be stuck. thanks for your service.

That picture was taken one day when we were moving to a different fire support base in a convoy of about 30 tracked vehicles (Armored Personal Carriers like mine and tanks) The whole trip was about 20 miles - all of it making our own roads through the brush/swamps and jungle. Needless to say after about a dozen vehicles go across a mud bog like this it gets a little soupy. I was assigned to this track which was the "mechanics track". Part of our job was to get people unstuck. After getting a couple tracks out we bogged down ourselves and were left behind with 2 other tracks by the rest of the convoy to fend for our selves (they told us to keep in radio contact-which didn't leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling). Eventually everyone got unstuck and we made it to our destination. That was a scary day. We could have been over ran very easily.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would tend to agree. However, I still hated the 2 mile run we had to do for our PT test. Always said it should be 1 mile.

If memory serves me right I think you had to do it in under 14 minutes to pass. Not as easy as it sounds wearing combat boots.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If memory serves me right I think you had to do it in under 14 minutes to pass. Not as easy as it sounds wearing combat boots.
I remember (vaguely) when 7 minute miles felt like an easy pace, it'd be a ball buster these days.