Votes: 2 5.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Other - specify

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
How about we try and get a consensus of priorities for the upcoming negotiations.

If you vote other.... please comment.

Last edited:

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Put the bulk of increases in compensation into healthcare and pensions for full-timers. Would shore up these funds tax free for us.

Indecisi0n

There needs to be financial penalties for harassment from management. Also after multiple payouts to the same driver there then needs to be guidelines to bump things up a level and have a panel hearing to address why this continues.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
There needs to be financial penalties for harassment from management. Also after multiple payouts to the same driver there then needs to be guidelines to bump things up a level and have a panel hearing to address why this continues.

That's one thing Article 37 lacks.... teeth.

How many times, can we hear the company "commit" to abiding by the language ?

A monetary penalty would fix that.

Great idea.

-Bug-

km3

As a part-timer I obviously have different priorities than full-timers do, but I'd say raises, harassment, guaranteed hours, and breaks.

I think part-timers should be making in the neighborhood of about $15.00/hr, minimum. The sooner healthcare is available, the lower we can go on that.

In addition to the raise, I'd like to see skilled pay raises eliminated with employees that have it currently grandfathered in. The company claims that there are no skilled positions anymore anyway, and the raises are being abused as a form of favoritism. Fighting the favoritism risks throwing union brothers and sisters under the bus (I can think of one incident in which an entire class of employees lost their $1 because someone grieved it saying they should get it too), and accepting the fact that your supervisor won't give you the raise means performing the same work for less money (seniority and time with the company notwithstanding).

Increase the daily guarantee for PTers up to 4 hours. We get paid 4 hours for vacation and option time, our daily guarantee should be 4 hours too. Make the guarantee and the point at which an employee begins to earn OT the same. Full-time employees are both guaranteed 8 hours, and earn OT after 8 hours. I think it should be the same for PTers.

As @Indecisi0n said, a real penalty for harassment. Quoting company policy and requesting action "up to and including discharge" on the grievance raises eyebrows, but doesn't actually do anything.

Finally, breaks. We don't always get ours. We have to ask, demand, whatever. And sometimes we still don't get them. I've got better things to do than sit down in the UPS building for 10 minutes after I'm finished working, just to collect the money that I'm owed. But more than that, the important issue to me is the break itself, not the money. As we all know, UPS only responds to monetary incentives. I'd like the penalty on supervisors forgetting to give us breaks, or straight up not allowing them, to be 1 hour of paid time, paid as though you had worked it (in other words, if you finish at 4:45 hours and didn't take break, you'd be paid for 15 minutes straight time, and 45 minutes overtime). A 5:45 hr day instead of 4:45. If that makes sense.

Last edited:

UPS Preloader

As a part-timer I obviously have different priorities than full-timers do, but I'd say raises, harassment, guaranteed hours, and breaks.

I think part-timers should be making in the neighborhood of about $15.00/hr, minimum. The sooner healthcare is available, the lower we can go on that.

In addition to the raise, I'd like to see skilled pay raises eliminated with employees that have it currently grandfathered in. The company claims that there are no skilled positions anymore anyway, and the raises are being abused as a form of favoritism. Fighting the favoritism risks throwing union brothers and sisters under the bus (I can think of one incident in which an entire class of employees lost their $1 because someone grieved it saying they should get it too), and accepting the fact that your supervisor won't give you the raise means performing the same work for less money (seniority and time with the company notwithstanding).

Increase the daily guarantee for PTers up to 4 hours. We get paid 4 hours for vacation and option time, our daily guarantee should be 4 hours too. Make the guarantee and the point at which an employee begins to earn OT the same. Full-time employees are both guaranteed 8 hours, and earn OT after 8 hours. I think it should be the same for PTers.

As @Indecisi0n said, a real penalty for harassment. Quoting company policy and requesting action "up to and including discharge" on the grievance raises eyebrows, but doesn't actually do anything.

Finally, breaks. We don't always get ours. We have to ask, demand, whatever. And sometimes we still don't get them. I've got better things to do than sit down in the UPS building for 10 minutes after I'm finished working, just to collect the money that I'm owed. But more than that, the important issue to me is the break itself, not the money. As we all know, UPS only responds to monetary incentives. I'd like the penalty on supervisors forgetting to give us breaks, or straight up not allowing them, to be 1 hour of paid time, paid as though you had worked it (in other words, if you finish at 4:45 hours and didn't take break, you'd be paid for 15 minutes straight time, and 45 minutes overtime). A 5:45 hr day instead of 4:45. If that makes sense.

Part time pay is a big issue, so is the part time language in the CBA. Much of the language is geared to only the full time employees.

LeadBelly

Banned
Pensions
Uniform medical that's the same across the board
9.5 language that's easier coupled with stronger harassment language. In the central region 17 I is a hot button issue.

LeadBelly

Banned
Not greedy like some others... $12 per hour and yearly raises the same as everyone else. Eliminate progression for part timers.
Do you have any ideas as to what to do with the employees already in their progression, but no completes? What about say a 5 or 6 year employee. Like a catch up raise of some sorts. What do you think about these ideas.

km3

Not greedy like some others... $12 per hour and yearly raises the same as everyone else. Eliminate progression for part timers.

I don't think $15 is greedy at all, all things considered. If you adjust for inflation, the $8/hr or so PTers made back in the 80s is higher than what even I proposed, and in my opinion $20/hr is closer to what we deserve for the work we do and the bull:censored2: we put up with every day.

But more than that, the union should be setting the wage standard, not the government. So when minimum wage surpasses whatever hourly rate the Teamsters manage to negotiate, that's just embarassing. $12/hr will be less than my state's minimum wage by the time the next contract ends. And you better believe that if the minimum wage is higher than the contractual rate, the difference will be subtracted from raises...just like it is now.

And for what it's worth, I don't think UPS could staff my building for $12/hr if that was the new starting rate tomorrow any more than they can do so now for $10.20/$11.00.

In exchange for the higher starting rate, I'm willing to see progression extended by one or two years and the skilled pay raise eliminated, for reasons I already went over. I don't have as big a problem with progression as I do with the skilled pay being used for favoritism.