Wal-Mart the ugly...handing out raises FDX next?

vantexan

Sorry. You are mistaken. When you receive that bonus it will be taxed different than a pay raise on the check it is on.
It's the same as getting a fat check at Peak, you get taxed at a higher rate. But when you do your taxes you pay the amount due or get a refund based on your gross for the year and what bracket you're in. There's no special higher tax for bonuses.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
They also tax a bonus at 29% or close to it. You just might be in a 15% tax bracket, so the raise is better.
You just verified what I said. Bonuses have a higher witholding than a regular check. Thanks for showing me to be correct.

You will put more money in your pocket with a 1000 raise than you will with a 1000 bonus. Not taking in consideration what your tax liability is come April 15
No you said it would be taxed at a higher rate then you backtracked because you looked like a fool.

Bonuses are taxed at the same rate as the rest of your income. If you're so desperate for the money then just adjust your W4 witholding online so you're having the right amount of taxes taken out. SMH.

Oldfart

No you said it would be taxed at a higher rate then you backtracked because you looked like a fool.

Bonuses are taxed at the same rate as the rest of your income. If you're so desperate for the money then just adjust your W4 witholding online so you're having the right amount of taxes taken out. SMH.
I said they are taxed higher on the check they are received on. No backtracking here bubba

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
To give credit to Memphis, it's much better than a shrug of the shoulders. There is no obligation to do anything.
or “better than a stick in the bum” as ol’ Granddad used to say (though it always did concern me some that ol’ Granddad knew what a stick in the bum felt like) :mellow:

vantexan

What he's referring to is his bonus check is bigger than a regular paycheck. The government puts you in a higher bracket on larger checks as the larger amount in their view reflects higher annual income. As you pointed out it all events out. And thanks to those amazing tax cuts unless it's an extremely large check it'll be taxed at most 12% in the future. Thank You President Trump and those amazing Republicans!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
What he's referring to is his bonus check is bigger than a regular paycheck. The government puts you in a higher bracket on larger checks as the larger amount in their view reflects higher annual income. As you pointed out it all events out.
I know what he's referring to. Which is why I suggested he adjust his W4 to have less taken out if he's so poor he can't wait until the end of the year.

His suggestion that it's better for his bonus to be spread out over six months because income taxes on bonus checks are withheld at the supplemental income rate is ludicrous. It's a few clicks online to adjust your withholding.

And thanks to those amazing tax cuts unless it's an extremely large check it'll be taxed at most 12% in the future. Thank You President Trump and those amazing Republicans!
Ya if I was an old man who wouldn't live to see the day this country's bills come due I'd be happy to. I'll take advantage of the 3% rate drop to 22% and switch my 401k and IRA contributions to Roth, because you can sure as hell bet rates are going to have to go up in the future to cover this nonsense.

Serf

Assuming we get a "step" in April, instead of October. The only negative I see is that you will essentially be in your step for 18 months, instead of 12 months. Hence, longer to top pay. I'm pleased, no doubt. But remind you the next raise you will probably see isn't until October 2019.

Oldfart

Assuming we get a "step" in April, instead of October. The only negative I see is that you will essentially be in your step for 18 months, instead of 12 months. Hence, longer to top pay. I'm pleased, no doubt. But remind you the next raise you will probably see isn't until October 2019.
I am sure you could call payroll and decline the raise you will get in April and tell them to give it to you in October. That way you will not have to wait 18 months before your next raise.

Mercy, you try to give people a raise early and all they do is complain. You DON'T know for sure the next raise will be Oct. '19 and you still complain. It is NOT longer to top pay. You were given a raise 6 months early. They did nothing LONG term. Dang people. Just as I have always said. You will complain no matter what the company does.

Last edited:

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I am sure you could call payroll and decline the raise you will get in April and tell them to give it to you in October. That way you will not have to wait 18 months before your next raise.

Mercy, you try to give people a raise early and all they do is complain. You DON'T know for sure the next raise will be Oct. '19 and you still complain. It is NOT longer to top pay. You were given a raise 6 months early. The did nothing LONG term. Dang people. Just as I have always said. You will complain no matter what the company does.
Ungrateful jerks!

Oldfart

Ungrateful jerks!
Yes indeed.

The company could give each employee $1000.

Some would complain.

They could lower insurance premiums.

Some would complain.

They could raise the 401K match.

Some would complain.

They GIVE us a raise 6 months earlier than originally thought.

MANY DO COMPLAIN and they don't even know all the details.

Oldfart

What he's referring to is his bonus check is bigger than a regular paycheck. The government puts you in a higher bracket on larger checks as the larger amount in their view reflects higher annual income. As you pointed out it all events out. And thanks to those amazing tax cuts unless it's an extremely large check it'll be taxed at most 12% in the future. Thank You President Trump and those amazing Republicans!
I just read your post and have to disagree. A weekly check that is a dedicated bonus and separate from a weekly paycheck has a higher withholding than a paycheck. If you earned $1500 as a paycheck, you will bring home more than if you received a $1500 bonus. Any bonus is deemed "supplemental" and 25% is withheld on that check with no regard to your filing status. I thought it was 29% but is actually 25%.

That is why I contend a raise will put more money in your pocket on a weekly basis than a 1 time bonus. No mater what dido said. He just doesn't understand basis money matters. Maybe someone could suggest a book for him to read so he can learn more about money and taxes.

Maybe a Susan Orman or a Dave Ramsey book would help dido.

Maybe bacha can teach him. Anyone that bought Amazon stock $200 BELOW face value must know something. Or else he was telling another fib when he bragged about his stock purchase.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
That is why I contend a raise will put more money in your pocket on a weekly basis than a 1 time bonus. No mater what dido said. He just doesn't understand basis money matters. Maybe someone could suggest a book for him to read so he can learn more about money and taxes.
For the third time, adjust your withholding so less is taken out of your paychecks. I don't know why you're having so much trouble understanding this.

Either you're dumb as a rock or you're just trolling.

Oldfart

For the third time, adjust your withholding so less is taken out of your paychecks. I don't know why you're having so much trouble understanding this.

Either you're dumb as a rock or you're just trolling.
I am well aware of my tax situation. You CAN'T change the withholding on a "bonus" check. The 25% withholding is an IRS mandate. Please read some IRS rules because you are incorrect. No matter what you do to your payroll withholding, 25% is coming out of your bonus check.

It would be worth your while to read a book or look online at some financial books to read.

In your case "Money Matters For Dummies" might help you out. It seems it was written with you in mind.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I am well aware of my tax situation. You CAN'T change the withholding on a "bonus" check. The 25% withholding is an IRS mandate. Please read some IRS rules because you are incorrect. No matter what you do to your payroll withholding, 25% is coming out of your bonus check.

It would be worth your while to read a book or look online at some financial books to read.

In your case "Money Matters For Dummies" might help you out.
When did I say you could change withholding on the bonus check? Just jack up the number of exemptions you claim on regular checks until it balances out. You struggle with common sense.
Ttku.

A 1000 dollar bonus could be earning you money in the market from day one, but you want Fed ex to slowly release it to you because apparently a few clicks online to adjust your W4 is too hard for you. Think it through bud.

Oldfart

When did I say you could change withholding on the bonus check? Just jack up the number of exemptions you claim on regular checks until it balances out. You struggle with common sense.
Ttku.

A 1000 dollar bonus could be earning you money in the market from day one, but you want Fed ex to slowly release it to you because apparently a few clicks online to adjust your W4 is too hard for you. Think it through bud.
Send me a mailing address and your "Dummies" book will be on its way.

If you jack up your exemptions on a weekly check, you will for sure bring home more money on a raise than you will on a bonus. Thanks for just proving my point. I am not sure you understand income taxes or anything close. You do realize you pay sales tax when you make purchases at the store don't you?

If you ever move out of your parent's basement and buy a house, you will pay property taxes as well.

Fdx pays us so much money, I have more taxes taken from my check each week so I won't get hit at the end of the year. That's after dumping 20% into my 401k each week. The new standard deduction will really help once it begins.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If you jack up your exemptions on a weekly check, you will for sure bring home more money on a raise than you will on a bonus. Thanks for just proving my point. I am not sure you understand income taxes or anything close.
Holy crap are you drunk?
If you ever move out of your parent's basement and buy a house, you will pay property taxes as well.

Fdx pays us so much money
Lol. I'm a Feeder driver for UPS. So, ya, I'm just gonna leave it at that bud.
I have more taxes taken from my check each week so I won't get hit at the end of the year. That's after dumping 20% into my 401k each week. The new standard deduction will really help once it begins.
I just use a calculator and have the correct amount taken out in the first place. Adjust once or twice a year. Common sense.

Serf

Mercy, you try to give people a raise early and all they do is complain. You DON'T know for sure the next raise will be Oct. '19 and you still complain. It is NOT longer to top pay. You were given a raise 6 months early. They did nothing LONG term. Dang people. Just as I have always said. You will complain no matter what the company does.
Did you see the part where I wrote:"I'm pleased, no doubt."
I was just attempting to be analytical. I'm certainly happy about it.