Wal-Mart the ugly...handing out raises FDX next?

Maui

That works out to roughly the $1000 bonus other companies are giving but unlike them giving it all at once so that you can spend it as you like, FedEx makes you earn it little by little. Better than nothing but typical FedEx mentality.
Nah. A raise is better than a bonus. Bonus is one and done, but wage increases are forever. And if it’s a move to the next step 6 months early it’s over $2000/year. MUCH BETTER.

BootsOnTarmac

Nah. A raise is better than a bonus. Bonus is one and done, but wage increases are forever. And if it’s a move to the next step 6 months early it’s over $2000/year. MUCH BETTER.

Just as I predicted. They give you 3% or so raise 6 months early and people still complain and find fault.

They tax a bonus higher than a raise. I will take an early raise anytime. Too bad people on here will never be happy.

These guys understand the time value of money.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Says they were already going to give the raise, they're just giving it early.

Call me crazy but if someone is going to give me a thousand dollars I'll take it now rather than spread out over 6 months.... You know, time value of money and all lol.
These guys understand the time value of money.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
NOT if you were scheduled to receive that same raise anyway. For once I agree with DIDO(the shame).
It takes a 96 cent/hour raise to equal $1000, AND it's amortized over 6 months.
To give credit to Memphis, it's much better than a shrug of the shoulders. There is no obligation to do anything.

Oldfart

NOT if you were scheduled to receive that same raise anyway. For once I agree with DIDO(the shame).
To give credit to Memphis, it's much better than a shrug of the shoulders. There is no obligation to do anything.
They also tax a bonus at 29% or close to it. You just might be in a 15% tax bracket, so the raise is better. Ask any accountant and he will explain it to you.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
They also tax a bonus at 29% or close to it. You just might be in a 15% tax bracket, so the raise is better. Ask any accountant and he will explain it to you.
Lol. That's not how taxes work bruh. Higher withholding is not the same as taxed at higher rate.

I hope you have someone doing your taxes for you.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Seems to me that doing it this way will simplify everything and cut down on the bitching.

I don’t remember which company it is, but the bonus they’re giving varies by length of service. That would require a bunch of people to go in and do the math. This way, seems like it’s just a matter of changing the dates. I could be over simplifying it. Who knows?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
And you are a simpleton.
The $0.96/hr=$1000 only works if you average 40 hrs/week. Part-timers get shafted. Full-timers getting less than 40 don't get the same as the OT whores. To treat everybody equally, everyone should receive an equal amount.
As far as the accountant is concerned, he will tell you that your taxes are calculated from your gross income at the end of the year, irregardless of when you received it, and the tax burden will be the same.

It will be fine

You're not taking ot into account. I'll take an early raise over a $1,000 bonus any day.
There's no guarantee they advance everyone a step every year either. I'd watch and see if you get cola too in October or if they ignore that this year and say they gave you the step increase early so they don't need to change the steps this year.

Oldfart

And you are a simpleton.
The $0.96/hr=$1000 only works if you average 40 hrs/week. Part-timers get shafted. Full-timers getting less than 40 don't get the same as the OT whores. To treat everybody equally, everyone should receive an equal amount.
As far as the accountant is concerned, he will tell you that your taxes are calculated from your gross income at the end of the year, irregardless of when you received it, and the tax burden will be the same.
Sorry. You are mistaken. When you receive that bonus it will be taxed different than a pay raise on the check it is on.

MAKAVELI

There's no guarantee they advance everyone a step every year either. I'd watch and see if you get cola too in October or if they ignore that this year and say they gave you the step increase early so they don't need to change the steps this year.
I highly doubt they're going to give a cola in October.
I fully agree given FedEx's history to take a raise now when there is no guarantee in the future.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
They also tax a bonus at 29% or close to it. You just might be in a 15% tax bracket, so the raise is better.
Sorry. You are mistaken. When you receive that bonus it will be taxed different than a pay raise on the check it is on.
You're embarrassing yourself.

Bonus checks have a higher withholding taken out at issue. The actual rate the money is taxed at is not higher.
IRS withholding is an estimation, maybe you need to adjust yours.

Seriously, I hope you have someone doing your taxes for you because you seem to have a basic lack of understanding.

Oldfart

You're embarrassing yourself.

Bonus checks have a higher withholding taken out at issue. The actual rate the money is taxed at is not higher.
IRS withholding is an estimation, maybe you need to adjust yours.

Seriously, I hope you have someone doing your taxes for you because you seem to have a basic lack of understanding.
You just verified what I said. Bonuses have a higher witholding than a regular check. Thanks for showing me to be correct.

You will put more money in your pocket with a 1000 raise than you will with a 1000 bonus. Not taking in consideration what your tax liability is come April 15

Last edited:

vantexan

There's no cola built into the pay plan. It's up to the company to decide an adjustment to the steps is warranted.