Was the Load Quality Acceptable?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I'm expected to do my best every day as a driver, to avoid mis-deliveries and do it efficiently.

The pre-loaders should be expected to do the same thing.

We have a pre-loader here who is almost ready to retire. He is the absolute worst "loader" that we have. Misroutes everywhere, nothing where it's supposed to be, AND he leaves twenty minutes before any of the other loaders do, and the PT sups just let him. One day I asked where he was, and the PT sup said "I don't know, he might have left"

I have put so many things in the driver comments, and nothing works. It's like having Helen Keller as a loader, only worse.

PT Car Washer

Most pre loaders try and do a good job. Worse are the PT sups who just want to throw everything into the truck just to clean the belts up before the drivers start. Caught one once throwing air into a ground bulk stop on the back. His reply was "it's on the right truck isn't it?" And he was a trainer. He didn't last long.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Write them up? Hourlies don't write up other hourlies....they rat them out.....scab.
Hourlies do not rat out hourlies to managment. Period.

Well, I would be the quickest hourly to sit in the office to my center manager and rat out someone who is going around ratting on others. I I stand firm by that action regardless of what you think.I don't know what make-believe world you're stuck into, but it's a dog eat dog world, wake up!!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well, I would be the quickest hourly to sit in the office to my center manager and rat out someone who is going around ratting on others. I I stand firm by that action regardless of what you think.I don't know what make-believe world you're stuck into, but it's a dog eat dog world, wake up!!
Don't try to justify your tattletaling BS.

pkgdriver

Anyone remember "blue cards"? I think they were preload communication cards that the driver would fill out at the end of the day. When I first started loading 20 years ago, I had a driver leave me one that said "you need to get a new fu#%cking job". I should have listened.

Sent using BrownCafe App

"Stand closer to pkg car while throwing in packages to tighten up load"
"Ive seen better loads in a garbage truck"
These were the best two that I saw on the blue cards.

One guy would daily fill up to 3 of the cards on a decent load.
Ok,great job etc were also seen.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The quality of the load isn't the driver's concern, it's management's. If your day is longer due to the questionable quality of said load, that's your sups job to correct it with preload. At no time in our day is the load our concern, delivering packages to the best of our ability is, by the hour. Taking responsibility for something you have absolutely no control over is absurd.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What actually happens if you answer 'NO' when asked this in the diad at the end of the day?
NDA's lost in load, double digit misloads, obvious damages still being loaded, ect.

I always assumed the heat would come back on the preloader who we all know is poorly trained and has a sup in his/her ear yelling at them to just get it on the truck. I've always answered yes, not wanting to negatively affect another hourly but I'm curious what if anything happens if you answer NO.
Nothing happens. Nobody reads any of the comments that you type into the DIAD.

The only thing that preload management cares about is getting their people off the clock as quickly as possible and getting the packages out of the building to create the illusion of a clean wrap. They could care less about load quality or service failures, those are someone else's problem. If it were up to our preload manager, the incoming trailers would be parked on a nearby bridge and the packages would simply be thrown over side and into the river in order to get the preload off the clock faster.

soberups

"Out of the building and off of the clock....out of the building and off of the clock...."

You can practically hear the rhythmic chants echoing thru the building to the beat of a gigantic drum when you show up in the morning before preload is wrapped. All that is missing is some guy in a Roman gladiator suit marching up and down the belt and cracking a whip.

soberups

I have been reliably informed that I.E. is studying the feasibility of elevating the conveyor belts and using forklifts to stand the package cars upright on their noses so that they could be loaded from the top using a shovel. It has been estimated that this would result in a 75% increase in preload productivity while having virtually no effect on overall load quality.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
"Out of the building and off of the clock....out of the building and off of the clock...."

You can practically hear the rhythmic chants echoing thru the building to the beat of a gigantic drum when you show up in the morning before preload is wrapped. All that is missing is some guy in a Roman gladiator suit marching up and down the belt and cracking a whip.
Lol that's true. The best is on a particularly heavy day when the sort is running late..bulk is horrendous...and just to add to the excitement...my center manager will come storming down the line yelling that we have to be wrapped in 5 minutes...cue the laughter in my head...yeah that's sooo not gonna happen....lol. I am not a magician.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The quality of the load isn't the driver's concern, it's management's. If your day is longer due to the questionable quality of said load, that's your sups job to correct it with preload. At no time in our day is the load our concern, delivering packages to the best of our ability is, by the hour. Taking responsibility for something you have absolutely no control over is absurd.

This is absolutely untrue-----the quality of the load is most certainly my concern as it directly impacts my day. I work hard enough and don't need to work that much harder due to a poor load.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I take care of my loader every couple months, besides Christmas......Kid trys his ass off and does a great job....he has the heaviest pull on the boxline(piece wise as well as weight) I am lost when he is off...other guys cant keep up and i am forced to leave building late!
Amen. My loader was on vacation a couple weeks ago and it was amateur hour. I had multiple misloads and was missing several pieces everyday and was missing NDAs everyday. It was especially annoying one day to find 2 separate NDA stops (envelopes) buried on the floor under a bulk stop at RDL mid day when they should have been on the 1000 shelf. Bulk stops split up and loaded all over the truck...I already appreciate my loader but even moreso after his vacations.

Notretiredyet

The only time I advise drivers to put no for an acceptable load is when management is pressuring them about production and load quality is part of the problem. This usually comes up on 9.5 issues when the driver is running overallowed. Having poor load quality noted on record documents this issue as a reason for the driver running poorly. Any other time I prefer to first talk directly to the loader rather than noting it as unacceptable.

dqs95124

I have had a new loader every day for the past 2 weeks. The concept of having 1 stop w/ multiple pkgs loaded next to each other escapes him. Every day I have to go back to at least 5 biz. I'm on both sides of the freeway. So my edd is screwed. I was a loader, a long time ago. Can these guys have some pride in their job? On Thursday the best yet, all labels were back words so he could see him had to flip everyone pkg over. Guess I'm on somebody's list

ArcherUTR

Hourlies do not rat out hourlies to managment. Period.

This philosophy brings drags our company's quality of service down. I don't understand it. I will give someone a chance or two, but after that I have no problems going to my Center Manager.

Don't mess with my customers. Don't make my job harder.