what do part timers want in 2013

brown_trousers

if the part timers don't get involved the future of this company will be part time.

the motivation for part-timers to be involved is just not there. The VAST majority of PTers at UPS are young college age kids just out of high school that couldnt care less about health benefits or pensions. The only thing that will motivate these kids to be active in the union, and defend a worthwhile job, is by showing them higher wages! As it stands right now, few PTers feel motivated to get involved in a union when their wages are lower than fast food wages

'Lord Brown's bidding'

For part timers: 1.20 raise every yr. No more split raises. Keep insurance the same

The purpose of the split raises is to keep 'the benefits the same', i.e. free. We get half the annual raise in Aug, with the other half paying our benefits (or in some cases, like in upstate NY, bring their pension back to solvency).

Seeing as how college-age kids will be living with their parents, and the new healthcare law allows them to remain on their parents care until 26, it would be nice if UPS would make having health optional for PTmers, with those opting out getting a bump in pay. Those who need the benefits (and will get a lower pay rate) probably already have a 2nd job

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The purpose of the split raises is to keep 'the benefits the same', i.e. free. We get half the annual raise in Aug, with the other half paying our benefits (or in some cases, like in upstate NY, bring their pension back to solvency).

One has nothing to do with the other. The fact of the matter is split raises save the company money. We voted to have our split raises diverted to the pension---the company had nothing to do with it. You are also incorrect when you state that half of the split raise goes to us and the other half to our benefits.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

That was the reason given to us for why our raises were split. Also, if half of the raise was not being used one way or anothefor the employees, how was your local able to take "savings for the company" to shore up your pension? And I don't think your local is the only one using the raises this way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That was the reason given to us for why our raises were split. Also, if half of the raise was not being used one way or anothefor the employees, how was your local able to take "savings for the company" to shore up your pension? And I don't think your local is the only one using the raises this way.

Your compensation is made up of 3 components---wages, benefits and pension. The union decides how to disburse the benefits and pension portion. The wages go directly to us. Our pension fund was in critical status and we voted as a local to divert our split raises directly to the pension. We also agreed to other changes to our pension not directly related to this conversation. It is expected (hoped) that our pension will be funded to the point where any split raises in the next contract will go to the employee.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I think I follow you now. The half of the raise due to you guys in January (the 2nd half) , you voted to divert to the pension. So instead of getting (hypothetically) 40 cents in Aug, and then another 30 cents in Jan, ya'll just get the 40 cents in Aug.

Nonetheless, the half of the raise we forego from Aug to getting it in Jan "does save the company money"-by easing the cost of our healthcare.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When the company and the union discuss the financials of the contract they are basically talking about how to slice one pie in to 3 pieces---wages, benefits and pension. The benefits and pension are administered by the union---the wages by the company directly to the employees. The split raises have nothing to do with benefits and pension---they are wages paid directly by the company to the employees. Our pension plan was in critical status and one of the remedies was to divert our split raises for the duration of the contract to the pension. We did get the COLA and our top rate is just over $30/hr. The split raises have nothing to with healthcare---they simply save the company a ton of money.

I hope this clears it up for you. Dave.

rudy5150

Narrow the pay scale gap between full timers and part timers even if full timers have to go without a raise for one or 2 yrs. Part timers get walked all over by this company and are lucky to make 250-300 dollars a week. Full timers do have to deal with sups harrasment and bs as well but many of them make 75 grand a yr compared to most pters at 10-15 grand a yr

brown_trousers

Narrow the pay scale gap between full timers and part timers even if full timers have to go without a raise for one or 2 yrs. Part timers get walked all over by this company and are lucky to make 250-300 dollars a week. Full timers do have to deal with sups harrasment and bs as well but many of them make 75 grand a yr compared to most pters at 10-15 grand a yr

I agree... There should at least be some kind of wage progression for part-timers to make decent wages. They shouldn't be making as much as us full-time drivers, but they definitely should be making more than minimum wage.

I would support a PT pay-raise increase, even if my FT wages were frozen for a few years.

rudy5150

How bout 1.50 raise every year for part timers in next contract. Full timers raises frozen for 2 yrs then .75 cent raise every year after.

brown_trousers

How bout 1.50 raise every year for part timers in next contract. Full timers raises frozen for 2 yrs then .75 cent raise every year after.

maybe higher raises for higher seniority part-timers. Id like to give my experienced preloader some incentive to stick around, as there is nothing worse than an inexperienced preloader and the aftermath of him loading my package car!

If we take care of our preloaders, they will take care of us! Its a win-win

wilberforce15

I don't understand the lack of unity between FT and PT folks, here. It seems like we all have the same problem.

FTers love the pension and pay, but their main complaint seems to be that their lives often suck anyway. They don't get to see their families, and 50-60hrs every week all year long is a real grind that no PTer should overlook.

Many PTers want to go full-time.

We are in complete agreement: we need more trucks on the road and more routes for the volume we have.

More trucks and more drivers is the only real way to solve 9.5 issues and overwork in the FT crowd. It's also the only way to make many PTers see some hope in this place.

I'm a PTer with 3 years of seniority and 7 years with the company, so I don't know everything. But it sure seems to me that more trucks on the road means better service to customers, more on-time deliveries, better FT morale and life balance, and opportunities for PTers. I just don't get how that's not our sole rallying cry.

curiousbrain

I don't understand the lack of unity between FT and PT folks, here. It seems like we all have the same problem.

FTers love the pension and pay, but their main complaint seems to be that their lives often suck anyway. They don't get to see their families, and 50-60hrs every week all year long is a real grind that no PTer should overlook.

Many PTers want to go full-time.

We are in complete agreement: we need more trucks on the road and more routes for the volume we have.

More trucks and more drivers is the only real way to solve 9.5 issues and overwork in the FT crowd. It's also the only way to make many PTers see some hope in this place.

I'm a PTer with 3 years of seniority and 7 years with the company, so I don't know everything. But it sure seems to me that more trucks on the road means better service to customers, more on-time deliveries, better FT morale and life balance, and opportunities for PTers. I just don't get how that's not our sole rallying cry.

... because this is UPS, and none of those things factor into PPH (or other arbitrary metric).

wilberforce15

... because this is UPS, and none of those things factor into PPH (or other arbitrary metric).

This isn't UPS - I understand why they don't care. Nothing matters if it isn't reported on this quarterly report. Next quarter? That's something to think about next quarter.

This is the teamsters. A strong majority of all the problems for all types of UPSers can be helped by this one thing: get more people on the road.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

It's because the FT -- even those hired off the streets, and those who worked literally months on the inside -- feel they've paid their "dues" and thus are entitled to raid the cookie jar at the expense of the PTers. The one thing you'll quickly learn at UPS is that no matter what you do, or how hard you work, everybody else will insist their job is harder than yours & that they work harder than you. Even when you swap jobs.

Interestingly, my building dispatched drivers with less than 9.5 every day last week (well, the week ending today) except for Monday. The SAME drivers who complain about excess OT... well, they were complaining about the lack of OT.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
At the risk of my first post sounding like a complaint, I have to say the answer to this question is beyond obvious.... MONEY. I'll say it again.... MONEY.

Knowing that I bust my butt daily for only a dollar or two an hour more than someone piddling around at Walmart or some high school kid sitting at a desk in a tanning salon is borderline degrading. Don't get me wrong I like my job, and I love having a job period, lots of folks don't have that luxury, but let's take a step back and think about some things.

Starting pay for part-timers essentially hasn't changed since 1987. In terms of inflation it would take roughly $17.00 in 2012 to get the purchasing power of $8.50 in 1987. No, I'm not suggesting part timers start at $17.00 an hour (not that many of them don't deserve it). However, in terms of the quality of worker UPS is purchasing with this wage let's take a look at minimum wage laws. Minimum wage in 1987 was $3.35, so keeping up with inflation minimum wage in 2012 dollars was about $6.50. Seems to me like a MINIMUM of $2.00 an hour bump in starting pay is atleast reasonable.

I'm fortunate enough to work at a center where wait times to be a driver are only 3-5 years so simply holding UPS's feet to the fire in terms of filling more full time positions they've already agreed to create is enough for me. However, in the meantime, my job would be a lot easier if I had a better quality part time co-worker. Where I work at least half of new hires quit, and a lot of the ones that don't quit are kept past their 30 day probationary period simply because HR can't fill these positions.

Bottomline: part-timers today are the future of UPS tomorrow, so let's invest a little money in our future.

rudy5150

$$$$$$$$$$$ and benefits! Part timers work their asses off for chump change and get treated like **** on a daily basis! The harassment will never stop so lets atleast give part timers some $$$$$$$$$$