what do part timers want in 2013

WhereDoIWorkAgain

I am a part timer, sort of..... I am officially a part timer. I constantly year round see 6 hours per day, and regularly more. 30+ hour weeks are my norm. It is that way for a fairly large number of others at my hub, 15 to 20 of us. They are specifically not making any new inside positions open. It has been that way for the last 2 years since they got rid of our overnights shift. Last year I had more hours for the year than at least 3 full time people that I worked closely with by our pay stubs near the end of the year.

I am on the cusp of being able to get bids to be a driver at just under 4 years. People with seniority dates in my general range have been starting to get them. As well as some combo bids. I have another job that is also in theory part time. I'm not close to being able to get most full time inside jobs though.

deede99

Seniority is seniority!!!! I'm tired of being replaced by 22.3's with way, way less company time than me. I want a 7th week vacation if I go 30 years. I want to be able to take 2 weeks vacation 1 day at a time. I want better retirment insurance at half the cost of Full timers. (Everthing else is half.) I want MLK day as a holiday. Why isn't it???

Nimnim

The Nim
I want 22.3 positions bid only to PTers or any position a PC driver vacates by taking a 22.3 bid is immediately put up to bid. As it stands more often than not when a 22.3 position is opened a PC driver takes it and their PC position is never filled. 22.3 was originally created to make for FT jobs for PT to get into, not for PC drivers to get out of PC.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
This Pt'er wants a continuation of the wonderful benefits as negotiated my the IBT. I charge Mr hall with the same words Spartan mothers gave to thier sons before battle with the offspring's shield in his hand "with it or on it"

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I want 22.3 positions bid only to PTers or any position a PC driver vacates by taking a 22.3 bid is immediately put up to bid. As it stands more often than not when a 22.3 position is opened a PC driver takes it and their PC position is never filled. 22.3 was originally created to make for FT jobs for PT to get into, not for PC drivers to get out of PC.
This was grieved and won in our local. Newly-created 22.3 jobs are for bid to PT'ers only.

reydluap

Re: Contract talks ... any news? C'mon feeder fill us in!
Are the part timers really getting screwed?

Lets take a look at the number (not including over time.)

A part timer (not skilled) is making $11 an hour after 3 years.
The insurance for a part timer with a family costs the company 19k a year.
Working the minimum of 3.5 hrs a day, 52 weeks a year equals 910 hours a year.
That comes to $10,010.00 a year in pay.
Add the $19,000.00 for health care and you come up with $29,010.00 in wages and health.
Divide that by the hours worked and you get an hourly rate of $31.87 an hour for a part time job.

Take a driver making $32,00 an hour after 3 years of progression.
Health care at $19,000.00 a year for family.
Working the minimum of 8 hrs a day, 52 weeks a year equals 2080 hours a year.
That comes to $66,560.00 a year in pay.
Add the $19,000.00 for health care and you come up with $85,560.00 in wages and health.
Divide that by the hours worked and you get an hourly rate of $41.13 an hour for a driver.

Bottom line:
Part timers are getting $31.87 an hour in wages in health care for part time work.
Drivers are getting $41.12 an hour in wages in health care for full time work.

Not saying they couldn't do better and I know the insurance I get for full time is very rare in any full time work, But it is unheard of for part time in ANY company to get the insurance they get. I think the part timers should be allowed to opt out of the insurance package if they have other insurance for a higher pay.

To add, a part timer pretty much gets the insurance and pay by just showing up and applying for the job. My center if you have a heart beat you get hired. The hoops and hurdles drivers have to go threw to make it to a full time gig certainly warrants a higher pay then a part timer. As a driver I am held to a much higher standard then any part timer.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/...eder-fill-us-347955/index9.html#ixzz2K3B9PXiE

kingOFchester posted this in another thread (page9).

One of the best post ever posted on Brown Cafe.

I've read the dozens of post on and about "PART TIMERS". I STILL don't get it. What part of "PART TIME" don't you understand? The job is what it states: "PART TIME". It doesn't state a "FULL TIME Guarantee". UPS did not go out and yank you out of your house and force you to work, you applied and the terms of your agreement was presented to you. You took it. You are told what the job curtails, wages and benifits, the hours you will work and such. Now after a few years, you expect more! Go out and find yourself a FULL TIME JOB then!

The "PART TIME" job as you see it now has been dumbed down so much for you over the years if don't take to much tallent to stack a package. All you have to do is move a package under a scanner. The PAL label tells you what car to load it into as well as the order it needs to be loaded in. The true skilled part timers that UPS paid top dollar to was before the PAS age. Preloaders had to read charts and know the routes in their heads that they were loading stop for stop. PAS has its disadvantages, all agree, but it has dumbed down the quality of employee needed to load a package.

So here's my take. GO FIND YOURSELVES A FULL TIME JOB! And use the UPS "PART TIME" job for what it was created as, a "part time job" with some benefits. Just quit your whining, it's really is getting boring............ yawn.

rudy5150

"So here's my take. GO FIND YOURSELVES A FULL TIME JOB! And use the UPS "PART TIME" job for what it was created as, a "part time job" with some benefits. Just quit your whining, it's really is getting boring............ yawn."

Wanna talk about whiners... how bout the $33 an hour drivers that come in every morning crying about how bad their load is or how many stops they have. And your statement GO FIND YOURSELF A FULL TIME JOB! Go tell that too the millions of Americans looking for work out there. You sound like MITT ROMNEY!

Notcool

Your right it is only part time and it is so easy. I don't know why I complain about getting paid so little. Yet I don't know any part time job where you work in extreme heat and cold wearing down your body. Its part time we should at least be paid half of full time. I have loaded for 7 years and lucky if I make 200 a week and I bust balls. But we get insurance I never use because I am single and never get sick. Plus I could always jump on obama care. UPS has a problem. Inflation is going up wages are the same while we bust :censored2: in the trenches while drivers and management make a killing. When part timers stop giving a hoot and I see it happening morale is low now. Turn over rate for part timers is very high because of the brutal work and small checks. So those that do stick through the bs start leaving. Who you going to hire?

reydluap

rudy5150, Then MOVE to were the full time jobs are. I hate to be the one to tell you, but the world don't owe you a better life, you have to go get it! Yeah, we have the whinners at my Center also. Just tell 'em to suck it up and grow a pair. We deliver cardboard boxes. We are not open heart surgeons with years of education.

Salts', What you post is true, I won't deny it. But didn't you take the job (wage) that UPS offered you? Yes, it would be nice if it paid better, but it is still a PART TIME job. Maybe you will need to find another part time job to get a 40 hour week in, but it's not UPS's responsability to choose your lifestyle.

Don't even get me started on Obamacare, another free handout.......

Moneythehardway

How about we get to choose once a year, around the same time we pick vacation weeks, if we prefer the free health benefits for the upcoming year or the $5 an hour increase that UPS says it takes to pay for the health bennies once a year. Not all part timers even take advantage of their health insurance and if you ask many of them (mainly the younger one's) if they had a chose between higher wage or health benefits, most would choose the former.

Actually I would think UPS would save money that way because many part timers won't be able to 'get the butter out of the duck' with the health insurance and racking up $50,000 to $100,000 or more in medical expenses (yes I know a few ptimer's that get that much worth of medical procedures done within a year.)

I know it's not that easy, maybe not even possible and I'm sure it's a lot of hoops and hurdles to make that happen but just a thought.

brown_trousers

How about we get to choose once a year, around the same time we pick vacation weeks, if we prefer the free health benefits for the upcoming year or the $5 an hour increase that UPS says it takes to pay for the health bennies once a year. Not all part timers even take advantage of their health insurance and if you ask many of them (mainly the younger one's) if they had a chose between higher wage or health benefits, most would choose the former.

Actually I would think UPS would save money that way because many part timers won't be able to 'get the butter out of the duck' with the health insurance and racking up $50,000 to $100,000 or more in medical expenses (yes I know a few ptimer's that get that much worth of medical procedures done within a year.)

I know it's not that easy, maybe not even possible and I'm sure it's a lot of hoops and hurdles to make that happen but just a thought.

I think UPS overstates how much part-time health insurance really costs them. They are self-insured, so their cost of insuring part-timers is directly related to how often these part-timers see a doctor. Even with rising healthcare costs you have to factor in the part-time demographic;

-mostly younger kids right out of high school... How often did you really see a doctor when you were that young??

-Many are probably still insured with their parents

-The vast majority of part-time hires quit within just a few short years.

-Even if these younglings do go to the doctor, they're likely too healthy at that age to need anything more than a quick checkup, unlike us older full-timers that actually undergo medical procedures, therapy, treatment (all of which are WAY more costly than a check-up)

rudy5150

rudy5150, Then MOVE to were the full time jobs are. I hate to be the one to tell you, but the world don't owe you a better life, you have to go get it! Yeah, we have the whinners at my Center also. Just tell 'em to suck it up and grow a pair. We deliver cardboard boxes. We are not open heart surgeons with years of education.

Salts', What you post is true, I won't deny it. But didn't you take the job (wage) that UPS offered you? Yes, it would be nice if it paid better, but it is still a PART TIME job. Maybe you will need to find another part time job to get a 40 hour week in, but it's not UPS's responsability to choose your lifestyle.

Don't even get me started on Obamacare, another free handout.......

Where are these full time jobs your referring to? What part time makes all your muscles, tendons, joints, and back ache regularly? What part time job makes you wake at 2am and work 5-6 hard hours with just a 10 min break. What other part time job do you get harrassed and intimidated on a daily basis. The point im making is that this is not your typical part time job. Even full time drivers say working the belt and loading is harder than driving. The payscale needs to be adjusted, part timers have been left behind in the past few contracts.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I think UPS overstates how much part-time health insurance really costs them. They are self-insured, so their cost of insuring part-timers is directly related to how often these part-timers see a doctor. Even with rising healthcare costs you have to factor in the part-time demographic;

-mostly younger kids right out of high school... How often did you really see a doctor when you were that young??

-Many are probably still insured with their parents

-The vast majority of part-time hires quit within just a few short years.

-Even if these younglings do go to the doctor, they're likely too healthy at that age to need anything more than a quick checkup, unlike us older full-timers that actually undergo medical procedures, therapy, treatment (all of which are WAY more costly than a check-up)

Although UPS is self-insured, for accounting purposes, it must place a fair market value on each health plan it provides.

Don't forget that all UPS employees with company-controlled benefits are in the same pool. This includes PTers, management, etc.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Where are these full time jobs your referring to? What part time makes all your muscles, tendons, joints, and back ache regularly? What part time job makes you wake at 2am and work 5-6 hard hours with just a 10 min break. What other part time job do you get harrassed and intimidated on a daily basis. The point im making is that this is not your typical part time job. Even full time drivers say working the belt and loading is harder than driving. The payscale needs to be adjusted, part timers have been left behind in the past few contracts.

- ANY job involving manual labor is going to involve aches & pains. Unfortunately, in 2013, the pay for nearly all these jobs sucks.

- To many PTers, the hours are a selling point. If you were to offer most adults a choice between an early-morning/late-evening (the hours most PTers work) start M-friend with major holidays off, or a "flexible" schedule (at a mall, fast food establishment, etc.) that involved nights, weekends & holidays, most would choose the former.

- Unfortunately, in 2013, harassment and intimidation occurs in pretty much any job. You've never seen kids getting screamed at a grocery store or McDonald's? The only difference is that fewer UPS employees lose their jobs.

- Few drivers will agree that PTers work as hard as they. I've driven, and I've performed most inside jobs. I believe that each job has its pros & cons; most PT jobs have virtually no responsibility and are popular among those who... well, would never make it as drivers. Interestingly, we've had two veteran PTers (15 or more years) go into driving (on each in 2011 & 2012) because their bodies could no longer handle the PT work...

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
" The pay scale needs to be adjusted, part timers have been left behind in the past few contracts."
This is not true. Part timers received a $1.00 per hour catch up raise plus the $5.00 per hour raise over the life of the contract in 2003. Maybe hall is working for that in the new contract one can only hope.I have been part time for 15 years and make close to article 22.3 money,you need to get through progression and do the time if you want to make "decent " money, plus you enjoy all the benefits of full timers.. You need to take that into consideration .Try getting healthcare,dental,vision,prescriptions,and a pension flipping burgers at Mickey D's or greeting people at Wall Mart.It is not happening. Plus who is giving you 6 hours this time of year .Unless it is peak you are not going over 5 more like busting chops to get 3 1/2 . Managers and sups break out it hives if they have to pay a part timer OT this time of year.

reydluap

So many good post since my last post.

rudy5150, The last driver hired here in my center last year was actually a transfer air shuttle driver from a Center 25 miles up the road from here. None of the part timers here want to be a full time employee with UPS. You see, these part timers here want a "PART TIME" job. They are farmers, a chiropractor, an electrician, a grandmother, a house painter, a Flight Instructor, a stay at home dad, a fast food worker, a race car engine builder, a banker, plenty of students and so many other occupations. They took the job for the excellent benefits, not as a career choice. Some people understand what a part time job is.

Now I respect and agree that a couple of buck pay raise for part timers is over due. And, paying a part timer even more if they choose not to be covered under the UPS insurance plan sounds like a fair deal.

But the "PART TIMERS" better watch what they are asking for. It might just bite you in the butt. Think a minute outside the box, like you are in the UPS Company's shoes. What if UPS Company said they wanted to create a longer hour guaranteed "PART TIME" job enviroment by creating another Article in the contract. It would be a "PART TIME" version of a Article 22.3 job. Stay with me here. Let's say the UPS Company says they want to have part timers guaranteed 5 hours a shift with a maximum of 7 hours before time and a half wages were to be paid. No more than 36 hours a week could ever be attained. That will merge 2 part time employees down to one. So UPS Company saves money on training and benefits. Turn over rate lowers because you are getting more hours and making a few more bucks. Sounds like a plan, ehhh. But that puts a lot of your fellow part time works out on the streets. Are you selling those displaced workers out? Only you can decide.

Now the down side of the idea. UPS Company will just try to get three (current) part time employees work out of the merged two part time jobs that have just been created. Look at what happens to the drivers when the numbers don't look right on paper, they cut a route and load them up. The same thing would be done to this newly created part time job. You talk about having a ball buster of a newly created job!

Don't think one minute at businesses are not looking at this idea. Obamacare will create a "tax" on businesses for every employee they have at the rate of 3.6% (might be 3.8%,I don't remember exactly) to help pay for the National Health Care program. You don't really think UPS Company wants to pay any more tax or benefits than they have to. do you? They would be smart to create this type of job to cut "the head count" of employees the that they will have to pay "tax" on. Just think about it........

rudy5150

Its up to UPS and the union to decide on the direction they take the part timers. Some part timers dont have the luxury to have another good job like a chiropractor, an electrician, a house painter, a Flight Instructor, a stay at home dad, a fast food worker, a race car engine builder, a banker so they actually do want to make some decent money at UPS and get a decent amount of hours in. Maybe you are on to something with the more hour guarenteee for part timers plus obviously more work and hrs for some and of course would leave some laid off.
And to PT stewie that $1 catch up raise for part timers was a joke. It really narrowed the gap between drivers didnt it hahaha. Remember back in the day when part timers made exactly the same hourly as the full timers, I know that will never happen again but why dont we really push for more for the part timers cuz if reydluap is right and they do cut part timers and make up more a workload and hrs for them why shouldnt they get bigger slice of the pie?