what do part timers want in 2013

Notcool

Why is it that part timers continue to be compared to McDonalds workers? The jobs are nothing like each other. I have worked fastfood and compared to UPS loading, fastfood is cake work. The only similarity is the pay. I made more a week working at chick fil a many years ago in the kitchen making 12hr easy work. I dread going into UPS daily knowing the physical exertion I have to put in for 40 bucks.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
No where else to you get the benefits that you get @ UPS for PART TIME work. Yes it is hard a lot of the time my back is hurting now and I am going in for more @ 5:30 .Does Chick Frick O Lay pay for your kid's prescriptions ? Does Micky D's pay for a husbands MS treatments? Does Home Depot pay for your daughters braces ? How about $60.00 per month pension x the number of years service when you get to 65 ? and you only have to do 750 hours a year to get credit (that is roughly 3 hours a shift !) The IBT negotiated this for you . I can eat hot dogs but cannot afford a catostrophic illness for myself or my family members without my benefits.

Moneythehardway

No where else to you get the benefits that you get @ UPS for PART TIME work. Yes it is hard a lot of the time my back is hurting now and I am going in for more @ 5:30 .Does Chick Frick O Lay pay for your kid's prescriptions ? Does Micky D's pay for a husbands MS treatments? Does Home Depot pay for your daughters braces ? How about $60.00 per month pension x the number of years service when you get to 65 ? and you only have to do 750 hours a year to get credit (that is roughly 3 hours a shift !) The IBT negotiated this for you . I can eat hot dogs but cannot afford a catostrophic illness for myself or my family members without my benefits.

As good as all that is, EVERYONE doesn't USE it. Many Ptimer's come in and don't stay long enough for health benefits to activate or either they do stay but have no need to use it for their timeframe there.

What's to say or do for this LARGE group of part timers?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Why is it that part timers continue to be compared to McDonalds workers? The jobs are nothing like each other. I have worked fastfood and compared to UPS loading, fastfood is cake work. The only similarity is the pay. I made more a week working at chick fil a many years ago in the kitchen making 12hr easy work. I dread going into UPS daily knowing the physical exertion I have to put in for 40 bucks.

If you made more money working an easier fast food job, and absolutely dread working at UPS, then why don't you return to fast food? It's hard to take us PTers seriously when we keep making faux arguments.

Just as with any other place of employment, some PT jobs at UPS are easier than others. Consider a typical mall retailer targeting students: if you're a good looking early-twentysomething, you'll spend most of your time working the floor interacting with consumers. But if you don't fit that company's brand image (not so good looking), you'll be performing a job such as stock or inventory, needing to reach ludicrous goals. At UPS, we're union, so the CBA covers the procedure for preferred jobs, but there are employees performing clerk work (which really is an easy job) for 5-hours each day whereas loaders are chased out of the building in less than 3.5 after working their tails off.

I've answered the UPS vs. McDonald's comparison several times, demonstrated that each job has its pros & cons and showed that UPS is the superior compensation package of the two, so I won't bother to do it again.

That said, I do believe UPS PTers are undercompensated. I believe the same thing of those working low-paying jobs across the country (Walmart, Home Depot, retail, etc.). I'm a firm believer that until all workers are fairly compensated for the work they perform, instead of executive management continually receiving nearly all of their respective company's wage increases, that our economy will continue to be bleak.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"

Your just what the company ordered short time part timers . People on their way to somewhere else. My three children all worked @ Brown on there way to something better. If your going to stay it will pay if not good luck. I am a union guy, but UPS is a bussiness and needs to be competitive. The part time philosophy and 4 year progression contributes to how they stay that way with Fed Ex breathing down their neck. We need to be carful we do not kill the goose that lays the golden egg after all we are just shipping boxes not performing brain surgery . That being said management still need to treat the workers better.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
As good as all that is, EVERYONE doesn't USE it. Many Ptimer's come in and don't stay long enough for health benefits to activate or either they do stay but have no need to use it for their timeframe there.

So what? With few exceptions, the starting pay -- which places most PTers at $10/hour after 90-days employment -- is competitive for the type of workers employed here (low/no skill). And after four years, with the current pay progression, they're banking more than they could in similar jobs elsewhere. Chalk the benefits, and generous time-off, as a bonus.

Nearly all companies offering low wages suffer from heavy turnover; it isn't a concept unique to UPS. Now that benefits have been deferred 12-18 months, I doubt UPS cares anyway -- first-year employees are dirt cheap and the company no longer has to worry about people working 6-months, then having expensive surgery that keeps them out indefinitely (which was commonplace at one time).

govtmule

I am new to this site. After reading this thread, I would like to chim in on the discussion. Ihave worked for UPS for nearly 16 years. The idea that you simply can work at UPS for years and not have the opportunity for a living wage is ridiculous. Many have suggested that UPS is for people that want a short time job for various reasons. This is true, but I do not agree with number of those people that only want to work part-time. From my experience, the vast majority would want more hours or an opportunity at a living wage.

With that being said, I would like to see the following happen. These suggestions will never happen!

1. All union employees have a salary based on each states poverty line and a wage rate based on years of service. The national poverty line is around $22,000. In other words, it would be a yearly guarantee and not an hourly guarantee.This would put every UPS/Teamster out of poverty. You earn your hourly rate all year. If UPS does not give you the hours, they must pay you the difference at the end of each year.

2. All union employees will reach top pay after 5 years of service.
3. Very little raises for the first 5 years of service, but signficant bumponyour 5th year.
3. A national bidding system that allows union employees to bid on jobs at any local.

UnderPaid

Fact is that PT's have no voice. We are expendable. We are numbers.

I want PT's to get compensated like they deserve. No amount of insurance can make up for the physical labor and hardship I endure at work for a measly $40. I have been with the company for 5 years and am beginning to lose patience with the carrot-on-a-stick routine. "Oh you are almost a driver! Stick it out!" as they bleed every bit of work out of me they can. Part timers work more than anyone I know. In fact I would argue that many of us work harder than most people period. The FT's say that we need to be more active in the union meetings. When you are made to feel insignificant and paid as such. When there is no hope for change, Why would you possibly expect us to participate? Full timers who bypassed working in the HUB have no idea how hard we work. I won't pretend that I know what it's like to be a driver as I only drive Saturdays, but we lift 4 times as many packages, walk just as far, and are the FOUNDATION that this company operates on. Our HUB functions on PT's who are stuck in the system for years waiting for a FT position. Have you had your truck loaded by a new-hire lately? Imagine that every day on all routes, and rampant miss-loads costing the company tons of cash. At 8.50 starting, no one cares about your load quality.

Take care of the Part-Timers or UPS will lose profitability.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Welcome to BrownCade, govtmule.

I am new to this site. After reading this thread, I would like to chim in on the discussion. Ihave worked for UPS for nearly 16 years. The idea that you simply can work at UPS for years and not have the opportunity for a living wage is ridiculous. Many have suggested that UPS is for people that want a short time job for various reasons. This is true, but I do not agree with number of those people that only want to work part-time. From my experience, the vast majority would want more hours or an opportunity at a living wage.

The problem is... it's a part-time job. A part-time job is not suppose to yield a living wage. Too many part-timers dream of that $32+/hour pay day, with no desire or no intention of working full-time. It isn't going to happen. Personally, I would like to see the union bargain for a large number of full-time inside jobs (8-hour guarantee), although I recognize that if this were to happen, it'd be at a pay scale that topped out at a lesser amount than driving.

1. All union employees have a salary based on each states poverty line and a wage rate based on years of service. The national poverty line is around $22,000. In other words, it would be a yearly guarantee and not an hourly guarantee.This would put every UPS/Teamster out of poverty. You earn your hourly rate all year. If UPS does not give you the hours, they must pay you the difference at the end of each year.

Honestly, I'm opposed to this idea. Never mind the fact that you can't expect an employer to provide living-wage standards for PT employees... but I work with a fair number of people who game the system as it is -- unwed couples living together, couples pumping out kids, etc. all for that extra government benefit. Employing your suggestion would only further encourage this behavior.

2. All union employees will reach top pay after 5 years of service... 3. Very little raises for the first 5 years of service, but signficant bumponyour 5th year.

I like this suggestion, and many companies already employ it. But if this were to happen, unfortunately, it'd be a significantly lower wage than that most PTers with 10+ years earn. For comparison's sake, FedEx Ground tops out (or topped out) at $14/hour after less than 5-years of service.

3. A national bidding system that allows union employees to bid on jobs at any local.

I'd like to see PT have the ability to bid on FT jobs within their local, but expanding it on the national level would create a mess. And it'd be unfair to PTers in places like Chicago, Los Angeles, Orlando, etc. -- places people ultimately want to go.

govtmule

This issue is distrubution of wealth. Obvouisly, full-time union employees don't want their standard of living to decrease. The argument that part-time jobs are not meant to provide living wage is not sound. Their are many people who work less than 40 hours a week and make a living wage. Remember, we are talking about a billion dollar profit machine. The system of using cheap part-time labor was partly the reason for the company's wealth. The fact is that UPS determines the living standards of thousands of people in this country. If a union can force the company into share more wealth, the union can impact thousands of families.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
This issue is distrubution of wealth. Obvouisly, full-time union employees don't want their standard of living to decrease. The argument that part-time jobs are not meant to provide living wage is not sound. Their are many people who work less than 40 hours a week and make a living wage. Remember, we are talking about a billion dollar profit machine. The system of using cheap part-time labor was partly the reason for the company's wealth. The fact is that UPS determines the living standards of thousands of people in this country. If a union can force the company into share more wealth, the union can impact thousands of families.

PT jobs are not meant to provide a living wage, since living wage standards are typically calculated as an hourly rate based on a 40-hour work week. Not that this would be a desirable model, anyway; living wage models calculate the lowest costs to cover basic needs, and assume both adults in a household work. Nationally, for a single person, this means $16K-$19K annually for all but a few high-rent communities; the second adult in the household would need only work PT to cover her expenses, or FT to cover a large family. (And in actuality, we have several Preload married couples who've worked here long-term, clear those figures PT & yet still collect government assistance.) BTW, on an hourly basis, this translate into $8.50-$10/hour (based on a 40-hour work week) -- and most employees earn more than that per hour after 90-days.

Don't get me wrong -- I fully agree PT wages should increase, as well as the guarantee to 4 hours per day. I also feel the union should negotiate additional full-time jobs, and force the company to fill the jobs previously agreed to a decade ago.

That said, as a country we should be ashamed that we've come to accept mediocrity. Over the past decade, the wage pool has soared but nearly all gains have gone to executive management -- we lead the developed world in wage discrepancy (between management & hourly), now we dominate it. We need to say "enough" and ensure that each worker is appropriately compensated. But we certainly can't force UPS on a course to financial disaster, since any huge short-term gains would be huge and long-term give-backs (wages, benefits, pension) disastrous, particularly for those of us with many years of work ahead.

brown_trousers

The argument that part-time jobs are not meant to provide living wage is not sound. Their are many people who work less than 40 hours a week and make a living wage.

PT jobs are not meant to provide a living wage, since living wage standards are typically calculated as an hourly rate based on a 40-hour work week.

part-time jobs aren't "meant" to address the issue of a livable wage at all, nor are full-time jobs. The issue of a liveable wage is determined by each individual on their own. Some people live there whole lives from part-time work, and some of us here live our whole lives off of 55+ hours a week. The only issue that should be deciding these wages at UPS, is the job function you are performing.

PT Car Washer

part-time jobs aren't "meant" to address the issue of a livable wage at all, nor are full-time jobs. The issue of a liveable wage is determined by each individual on their own. Some people live there whole lives from part-time work, and some of us here live our whole lives off of 55+ hours a week. The only issue that should be deciding these wages at UPS, is the job function you are performing.
Equal pay for equal work.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
The company or so I have heard .Stay tuned I will verify ( my info is pretty good not wisper down the lane BS) has also on the table a health care package for Pt'ers that is even worse than the one you are hearing about on the other labor threads .

brown_trousers

The company or so I have heard .Stay tuned I will verify ( my info is pretty good not wisper down the lane BS) has also on the table a health care package for Pt'ers that is even worse than the one you are hearing about on the other labor threads .

I really dont see why... providing health-care for a part-timer costs UPS just a fraction of what is costs to provide health care to a full-timer. A bunch of kids that rarely (if even at all) go to the doctor, isn't a large healthcare cost at all.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
They tried it last contract by saying that diagnostic testing was a 10% copay blood tests ok but MRI's ,xrays.etc can get costly out of pocket in the UPS health care plan for part timers .......but there was a clause in the contract that said employees already in health and welfare plans previous will stay in those plans. The Brown weenies try to state otherwise, but we contested and won.

rudy5150

UPS cant even find part timers now, very high turnover rate. So if they dont offer health insurance or increase the cost of it how do they plan on keeping any part timers? Record Profits = NO Concessions