What do you do to unwind after a long day?

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
There is a batting cage on the way home. Sometimes when you have a lot of pent up energy or had a really bad day, great way to relieve stress.....screw the batting helmet...swing away Mel...swing away!

Funny, I passed a batting cage two days ago and thought I'd like to try it out. If you recommend it, I'm going. :)

IDoLessWorkThanMost

After reading most of the replies, most of the goings on outside work have seemed pretty shallow thus far. I doubt everyone falls into this catagory though. Doesn't anyone have any hobbies or activities that aren't drinking, womanizing, watching tv, napping?! <--rofl smoking pot...etc. Sounds like quite the fufilling life :knockedout:

Aside from playing in a band in the hub of New England, I also dabble in the study of atmopsheric sciences and study/read/research as much as I can with free time. Music and science are the 2 most relaxing and rewarding hobbies !

toeknee2gx

After reading most of the replies, most of the goings on outside work have seemed pretty shallow thus far. I doubt everyone falls into this catagory though. Doesn't anyone have any hobbies or activities that aren't drinking, womanizing, watching tv, napping?! <--rofl smoking pot...etc. Sounds like quite the fufilling life :knockedout:

Aside from playing in a band in the hub of New England, I also dabble in the study of atmopsheric sciences and study/read/research as much as I can with free time. Music and science are the 2 most relaxing and rewarding hobbies !

sorry our lives are not as fulfilling as yours :) ...remember this is a public forum...some people just don't want to put ALL of their business out there..Im pretty sure some of the previous posters have tons of things going on that they didn't post...

athena

sorry our lives are not as fulfilling as yours :) ...remember this is a public forum...some people just don't want to put ALL of their business out there..Im pretty sure some of the previous posters have tons of things going on that they didn't post...

Yeah, I agree. Also, I read research articles, design and run research projects, analyze data and related it to theory, etc. as part of my job. At the end of the day, science is work and I don't want to do it. So, instead I read for pleasure (usually spy type novels or girlie books).

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight

Ouch, that's a little harsh. I'm not sure I follow, if people are willing to post that they do drugs to unwind on an anonymous forum, why would the be so scared to post things that bring them true happiness? I think Idoless was being sincere in asking some of the brave folks on this forum to share what truly makes them tick.

One of my new hobbies is meditating, relaxing stimulation of thought, and I wanted to share that with others. I was hoping that others might have some ideas to share that we all might be able to find comforting and relaxing...

now I know I put that old bong around here somewhere....

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
After getting home and spending some time with my family I jump on the PC and play for a few hours.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Trailer

toeknee2gx

Ouch, that's a little harsh. I'm not sure I follow, if people are willing to post that they do drugs to unwind on an anonymous forum, why would the be so scared to post things that bring them true happiness? I think Idoless was being sincere in asking some of the brave folks on this forum to share what truly makes them tick.

it wasnt meant to be harsh...sorry if it felt that way...I just called it like I saw it :happy2:..

After getting home and spending some time with my family I jump on the PC and play for a few hours.

YouTube - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Trailer

me2..except i play on xbox 360..in fact im about to get on xbox live right now and play...

rod

Retired 22 years

YouTube - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Trailer
I've got a 25 year old nephew that is married and has 2 great little kids. He spends every spare moment in the basement playing this Call of Duty game. I asked him if he enjoys war so much why don't he join the Army. He told me he couldn't stand to be away from his family. The sad thing is- that's what he is doing now.

over9five

Staff member
"..most of the goings on outside work have seemed pretty shallow.."

I fear this is correct (at least about me). I have always wanted to learn another language, so that will be my new hobby. Took French in school, but remember none of it.

I have picked Spanish, and already ordered the RosettaStone dvds. Will begin after Christmas.

satellitedriver

OK, I'll bite.
Beer,(sorry that's on the shallow list).
Read, on an average, two books a week.(while drinking beer)
Read and post on B.C. (while drinking beer)
Blacksmithing, basically getting iron hot to 1800 degrees and beating it, until it is into the shape desired. (while drinking beer).
Mowing and maintaining 20 acres and a home. (while drinking beer)
No dobies,(too busy drinking beer)
I also dabble in the study of atmopsheric science. I open the door early in the morning and step outside, while listening to music, and decide if I am going to wear my shorts or long pants.
I did the band thing in the late 60's and early 70's.
Unless you are very good and very dedicated, just keep it as a hobby.
My unbidden advice to you is, try and not be so condescending in your posts.
A simple opening of the one's homes door and hearing the words, Daddies Home!!,Mommies Home!!! or your spouse saying , Glad you are home.
That is the best tonic to soothe the aches and pains of a tough day.
PAX

Cementups

Box Monkey
first I do this...
q139.gif

then this....
Humping_Emoticon.gif

which is usually followed by....
P11.gif

browniehound

smoke a joint

This might sound crazy, but that BUGS me out. I cannot relax after that! I haven't done that since I became a driver (I still WAS a kid at that time) and can't imagine someone smoking a joint and then doing our job?

After a day at work ANYTHING is relaxing! This is a postive aspect of the driving job. Come friday, 3 or 4 beers (or more) and some spicy buffalo fingers really makes me feel satisfied about my job!

We work our asses off, and this includes everyone at UPS regardless of position. In general, our jobs are stressfull, physical, and mentally demanding.

Without this I would probably be depressed! Yes, the job can really suck at many times, but when we come out of that, it makes our free time so much more better than the average worker.

At least, thats how I feel:happy2:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

One of my new hobbies is meditating, relaxing stimulation of thought, and I wanted to share that with others. I was hoping that others might have some ideas to share that we all might be able to find comforting and relaxing...

now I know I put that old bong around here somewhere....

Heh..I'll get the ice for the chamber...;)

Meditating is a great way to forget about UPS'ing it and everyhthing else in life, no doubt.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

OK, I'll bite.
Beer,(sorry that's on the shallow list).
Read, on an average, two books a week.(while drinking beer)
Read and post on B.C. (while drinking beer)
Blacksmithing, basically getting iron hot to 1800 degrees and beating it, until it is into the shape desired. (while drinking beer).
Mowing and maintaining 20 acres and a home. (while drinking beer)
No dobies,(too busy drinking beer)
I also dabble in the study of atmopsheric science. I open the door early in the morning and step outside, while listening to music, and decide if I am going to wear my shorts or long pants.
I did the band thing in the late 60's and early 70's.
Unless you are very good and very dedicated, just keep it as a hobby.
My unbidden advice to you is, try and not be so condescending in your posts.
A simple opening of the one's homes door and hearing the words, Daddies Home!!,Mommies Home!!! or your spouse saying , Glad you are home.
That is the best tonic to soothe the aches and pains of a tough day.
PAX

Hahah. How am I being condencending? I didn't raelize that the way I was thinking about the original post was more intelligent than would normally be thought of. My bad if thats the case. I guess smoking a joint and drinking a beer is relaxing..LOL

Edit: Smoking and drinking actually increases heart rate and blood pressure, to be honest. Not recommended.

Last edited:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I have picked Spanish, and already ordered the RosettaStone dvds. Will begin after Christmas.

Funny I had the same idea, wanting to see if I can learn the language (Spanish) due to the ever-growing Hispanic population in my area. Did go to Borders to check out those Rosetta-Stone courses...the price made me gag!

Sammie

After reading most of the replies, most of the goings on outside work have seemed pretty shallow thus far. I doubt everyone falls into this catagory though.

I Do Less Work,

As many of the drivers on this forum rise about 5:00 am M - friend and between getting ready for work and travel time, arrive back home sometimes around 15 hours later, I'm sorry they appear SHALLOW to you. Perhaps you were a scientist or a professor before you started working at UPS. So they want to sip a brew or watch a show or kick back and be a bit silly after returning home at night. What a pity that everyone here isn't taking evening classes to educate themselves to become a college professor or a future astronaut. So sorry to disappoint you!!!

over9five

Staff member
Funny I had the same idea, wanting to see if I can learn the language (Spanish) due to the ever-growing Hispanic population in my area. Did go to Borders to check out those Rosetta-Stone courses...the price made me gag!

Me too....at first! It has become kinda an obsession with me tho. Finally I saw an infomercial with a deal where they charge you in 5 installments, and throw in a headset microphone. I called.

The deal is/was here:

http://www.rosettastone.com

Ever have that obsession where you don't buy something that you really want, but it eats at you every day? (And then I go get it anyhow!)

IDoLessWorkThanMost

"..most of the goings on outside work have seemed pretty shallow.."

I fear this is correct (at least about me). I have always wanted to learn another language, so that will be my new hobby. Took French in school, but remember none of it.

That sounds like something worthwhile. Especially if you're delivering in Lowell ;)