What does the republican party have to do to change its appeal?

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
1) Get out of people's bedrooms.
2) Ditch the theocrats who insist that THEIR religious beliefs must be EVERYBODY'S religious beliefs. Honor the First Amendment with the same fervor they honor the Second Amendment.
3) Come up with an economic plan that benefits more than the 1/10th of 1%. Address the simple fact that real wages for the working people of this country have NOT benefited from the productivity gains of the last 30 years, a situation unprecedented in our history.

island1fox

I do not want to be in anyone's bedroom ---but will always speak with reason-- with respect to those WOMEN and men who have no voice in thier mommy's womb:sad-little:

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
I do not want to be in anyone's bedroom ---but will always speak with reason-- with respect to those WOMEN and men who have no voice in thier mommy's womb:sad-little:

I respect your sincerely held religious belief. Unfortunately, there are equally sincere believers in OTHER religious faith communities that do not agree with your particular rationale. In a pluralistic democracy, where the governing document clearly states that individuals have the freedom to worship as they please (or not worship as they please) there must be a respect for each others' faith, and a willingness to accept that others believe differently, and have the right to do so. The Supreme Court has made abortion legal, and that remains the law of the land.

I have no idea if YOUR beliefs require a woman to die from an ectopic pregnancy or septicemia; if they do, you worship a god I do not recognize.

How do you feel about birth control? If you believe that hormonal birth control or the morning after pill is an abortifacient, in the face of medical facts that say they are not, we again have no common ground. And I respectfully ask you to live according to your beliefs, while allowing me to live according to mine.

804brown

2) Ditch the theocrats who insist that THEIR religious beliefs must be EVERYBODY'S religious beliefs. Honor the First Amendment with the same fervor they honor the Second Amendment.
3) Come up with an economic plan that benefits more than the 1/10th of 1%. Address the simple fact that real wages for the working people of this country have NOT benefited from the productivity gains of the last 30 years, a situation unprecedented in our history.

There is a party that embraces all that already, the dems, but they too are bought and sold by the same corporate forces. Listen if the repubs ever changed (ie moved to the left on several issues) the tea partiers would bolt and start their own little party.Hmm, then maybe real progressives would bolt the corporate dems and form a true progressive party. Now that might lead to some real democracy!!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Ken Melhman will only be the first of high ranking republicans to come out of the closet and support gay rights. The GOP will parade gay person after gay person from this day on until election day in 2016.

I cant wait for Condi and Rove to lead the way!!

Peace

TOS

moreluck

golden ticket member
Ken Melhman will only be the first of high ranking republicans to come out of the closet and support gay rights. The GOP will parade gay person after gay person from this day on until election day in 2016.

Peace

TOS[/QUOTE

I thought you wanted acceptance and a normalcy for gay people, but you throw them in a spotlight like circus clowns. When does the kaliope start playing?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Peace

TOS[/QUOTE

I thought you wanted acceptance and a normalcy for gay people, but you throw them in a spotlight like circus clowns. When does the kaliope start playing?

I am all for equality, but equality for people who truly believe in that equality. "CIRCUS CLOWNS" is exactly the correct title for anyone who is GAY and in GOP politics who secretly hides thier sexuality and then speaks and acts out against other GAY persons in the USA.

That is a circus clown.

When you argue against gay marriage and in defense of traditional marriage while secretly being gay, then you are a circus clown.

Ken Melhman has apologized for his actions and statements while hiding his homosexuality for over 30 years. The music has already been playing in the GOP "TENT" for years moreluck. The only thing missing is PT BARNUM.

peace

TOS

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
There is a party that embraces all that already, the dems, but they too are bought and sold by the same corporate forces. Listen if the repubs ever changed (ie moved to the left on several issues) the tea partiers would bolt and start their own little party.Hmm, then maybe real progressives would bolt the corporate dems and form a true progressive party. Now that might lead to some real democracy!!

I have no argument with your first sentence. The corrupting influence of unlimited corporate money is the biggest danger to our democracy that I can see.

Having said that, there absolutely is room between the current Democratic Party positions, and principled positions by a more conservative party. There is room for debate on issues like:
1) How much money should we be spending on the Pentagon? I actually think the sequester would help in that regard. Lindsay Graham and John McCain notwithstanding, cutting the Pentagon back to 2006 spending levels would not leave us defenseless on the world stage.
2) What is the correct role of the Federal government in education? Traditionally, that has been something best done locally. Again, there are historical reasons for the Federal government to intervene in local affairs, but we should be able to discuss what would be workable in the 21st century. Of course, then I look at what loons like Bobby Jindal are doing with local control over HIS schools, and I despair.

The point is, there is lots of room for differences of opinion on substantive policy positions. But right now, the GOP has been taken over by crazy people who swear fealty to Grover Norquist.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
mike-112712 (1).jpg
mike-112712 (1).jpg

arice11

Re: What does the republican party have to do to change its appeal?
Originally Posted by TechGrrl

What was that about "keeping out of peoples bedroom"?

Don't progressives want people to know, understand and accept what happens in their bedrooms.
Seems to me there are parades, activists and demonstrators who blatantly flaunt their personal life for all to see.
They demand that everyone respect their lifestyle and to make everything about them known and become commonplace.
So why did you say that a people can't come out in support of their religion or beliefs.
Respect for the first amendment works both ways, religiously and profanely. To say "stop preaching about your religion so people can hear us preach on our lifestyles" seems like ignorance to me.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
All the GOP has to do is get rid of voter id laws and steal the next election better than the DNC .
Or mandate that all states must have a voter id law and stop the DNC from stealing anymore elections.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
All the GOP has to do is get rid of voter id laws and steal the next election better than the DNC .
Or mandate that all states must have a voter id law and stop the DNC from stealing anymore elections.

Are you still believing the GOP platform was rejected the country and somehow, the election would have been won by romney had it not been for cheating?

Cmon, clearly, the GOP platform was dismissed and the country moves forward.

Peace

TOS