What good are supplements, riders and ammendments?

LAEOT

Why do they even write these things if they are going to have wording in master ups contract that disallows sections? Complete waste of time, and it is throughout the contract.
Taken from same section of book how many different ways can you word it:
  • (a) Notwithstanding any provision in any Supplements, Riders or Addendum the progressions set forth in Sections 2(c) and 3 below will be controlling with regard to any employee entering a full-time job after August 1, 2013 covered by those Sections.

• This Sub-section shall supersede any provision to the contrary in any Supplement, Rider or Addendum.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Why do they even write these things if they are going to have wording in master ups contract that disallows sections? Complete waste of time, and it is throughout the contract.
Taken from same section of book how many different ways can you word it:
  • (a) Notwithstanding any provision in any Supplements, Riders or Addendum the progressions set forth in Sections 2(c) and 3 below will be controlling with regard to any employee entering a full-time job after August 1, 2013 covered by those Sections.

• This Sub-section shall supersede any provision to the contrary in any Supplement, Rider or Addendum.

Yeah..Cant figure it out myself. One of the troubles with the contract language is they are written by lawyers, to be understood by lawyers and /or be to be interpreted by lawyers on a later period, not written in clear precise meaning or intent. Basically you are voting on the the contract with half the information required.

It is called the "Dumbing Down Effect", the purpose is to keep the majority in the dark on what they are voting for, add that to the voter apathy and you can guarantee passage. Seriously what percentage of the membership knows what is going on or care (5 %).

My supplement will affect my pension benefit and health and welfare coverages, they do have a major impact. The Central Supplement is a big one, it covers a majority of the members (got voted down on the first ballot in 2013).

I do have an issue with the young, uninformed part time vote effecting language that would reduce or eliminate any senior full time pension or health and welfare benefits. I expect much the same with this contract if it goes to vote, a great effort to gather the newly hired part time vote in order to pass the (Master). Then it will be easier to ambush the supplements, really I understand the term brotherhood but It grieves me that my over 40 year, informed vote will be cancelled out by a 19 year old part timer with 3 months.

I am guessing that both the Union and Company have statistics to who been voting on previous contracts (full-time, part-time and seniority) from difference regions. It would be a good guess that a vast majority of the membership who voted (No) last contract were high seniority, informed Full Timers.

UPSjedi41

Because of my local rider, I have never had to work a Saturday (6th punch) in 35+ years.
We have the same language but when they implemented Saturday ground, they still forced me and 8 other full time drivers, grandfathered in to never work Saturdays, into working Saturdays. Grievances have been filed but no word in 6 months about it. Work first, grieve second is BS in this case

clean hairy

Without the supplements, the contracr would be thick as a phone book.
All the stuff regarding regional issues keep the entire contract from being too bulky.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We hashed this out in another thread, specifically about the ft pay progression. I'm not sure why some supplementals outline a different progression when the master nullifies them. Maybe they were added at some point before the master outlined the progression or before it had language to override the supplementals, and neither side wants to give up the negotiating leverage it would require to have the language removed. Just a thought.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
How would the company, have access to that information ?

-Bug-

It would be easy to formulate, after each contract vote and IBT election there is a breakdown of percentages with each individual local and region. Like I said before generally only about 30 percent of the eligible voters care enough to cast a ballot. It would be a matter of simple accounting measures for the International and Atlanta to plan measures to campaign in certain parts of the nation to pass the contract.

Remember just how important these contracts are to both parties, they are generally looking 10 or 20 years down the road. Case of study would be our Retirement funds and Health and Welfare coast with their cast of processional actuaries, it is not a fly by night operation no matter how it seems on the ground level, everything is calculated and has a back up plan formulated.

You know enough to just look at your power of influence or study your local to know who is voting and whether they will be voting No or Yes. I know it with my local just from casual conversations and past local voting history.

I sure looks like it will be a game of chicken with this one, a time is a clicking.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Supplements are only as good as the local. 294 went to one of the best 30 yes ago. To being the 1st one in the nation to agree with any garbage UPS throws it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The whirlwind of concessions. 9.5 -need 2 to even file. Then it disappears. UPS basically makes the rules. Then it takes months for the Union to maybe address it. See our BA 2 to 3 times a yr. Grievances filed, disappear for ever.

The weakness of your BA has nothing to do with whether you have a strong supplement or not.

We had a union meeting yesterday. Our BA is on the national committee. He told us that technology is a huge issue this contract; in fact, he said that they spent a whole week talking about technology related discipline without reaching an agreement.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It would be easy to formulate, after each contract vote and IBT election there is a breakdown of percentages with each individual local and region.

You're still not going to be able to differentiate between part-time vs. full-time.

The whirlwind of concessions. 9.5 -need 2 to even file.

Uh.... you need three 9.5's in a week to be able to file. Maybe that's the problem.

See our BA 2 to 3 times a yr. Grievances filed, disappear for ever.

When was the last time, you went to a Local monthly meeting.... got on the mic and

brought this up in front of everybody ? (on the record)

-Bug-