What good are supplements, riders and ammendments?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
You're still not going to be able to differentiate between part-time vs. full-time.

Because the meetings are an embarrassment. They sound like the biggest idiots who run the union. It is embarrassing to listen to their logic. But in June they will lose dues too.

Uh.... you need three 9.5's in a week to be able to file. Maybe that's the problem.

When was the last time, you went to a Local monthly meeting.... got on the mic and

brought this up in front of everybody ? (on the record)

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bug—-quick question:

Our BA is a former driver. I have been told that he can go back to UPS when he meets our 30/55 requirement, work for a couple of days and then retire with a full feeder drivers pension? The other option would be for him to stay in his current position and wait until he is 65 to start drawing. Is there any truth to this scenario?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Bug—-quick question:

Our BA is a former driver. I have been told that he can go back to UPS when he meets our 30/55 requirement, work for a couple of days and then retire with a full feeder drivers pension? The other option would be for him to stay in his current position and wait until he is 65 to start drawing. Is there any truth to this scenario?

Would He be able to retire. Then still be a BA? If he wanted too

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Bug—-quick question:

Our BA is a former driver. I have been told that he can go back to UPS when he meets our 30/55 requirement, work for a couple of days and then retire with a full feeder drivers pension?

Yep.

As long as he hits the clock, he's go to go. Prior to 1993, there wasn't any language that allowed

for a leave of absence to serve in an elected position. Freight adopted the same language in 1996.

The other option would be for him to stay in his current position and wait until he is 65 to start drawing. Is there any truth to this scenario?

Yes again.

Depending on your plan, he could probably collect before 65 but would suffer a 6% reduction

(per year) until age 65.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yep.

As long as he hits the clock, he's go to go. Prior to 1993, there wasn't any language that allowed

for a leave of absence to serve in an elected position. Freight adopted the same language in 1996.

Yes again.

Depending on your plan, he could probably collect before 65 but would suffer a 6% reduction

(per year) until age 65.

Yes—-6%/year.

Observer

I feel that they drag out negotiations too long. It would be much better if the sections in the master, etc. were not written in legalese and always subject to interpretation. Think back when the contract book was way smaller.

john chesney

Why do they even write these things if they are going to have wording in master ups contract that disallows sections? Complete waste of time, and it is throughout the contract.
Taken from same section of book how many different ways can you word it:
  • (a) Notwithstanding any provision in any Supplements, Riders or Addendum the progressions set forth in Sections 2(c) and 3 below will be controlling with regard to any employee entering a full-time job after August 1, 2013 covered by those Sections.

• This Sub-section shall supersede any provision to the contrary in any Supplement, Rider or Addendum.
Another opportunity for me to vote no

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
How would the company, have access to that information ?

-Bug-

In all fairness, TDU and the international do keep track of the number of possible votes in each Local and the total number that voted. The only way they know that an individual votes is if it is challenged. The vote with the outside envelope (name) is looked at to determine if they are able to vote.

BrownMonk

Yeah..Cant figure it out myself. One of the troubles with the contract language is they are written by lawyers, to be understood by lawyers and /or be to be interpreted by lawyers on a later period, not written in clear precise meaning or intent. Basically you are voting on the the contract with half the information required.

It is called the "Dumbing Down Effect", the purpose is to keep the majority in the dark on what they are voting for, add that to the voter apathy and you can guarantee passage. Seriously what percentage of the membership knows what is going on or care (5 %).

My supplement will affect my pension benefit and health and welfare coverages, they do have a major impact. The Central Supplement is a big one, it covers a majority of the members (got voted down on the first ballot in 2013).

I do have an issue with the young, uninformed part time vote effecting language that would reduce or eliminate any senior full time pension or health and welfare benefits. I expect much the same with this contract if it goes to vote, a great effort to gather the newly hired part time vote in order to pass the (Master). Then it will be easier to ambush the supplements, really I understand the term brotherhood but It grieves me that my over 40 year, informed vote will be cancelled out by a 19 year old part timer with 3 months.

I am guessing that both the Union and Company have statistics to who been voting on previous contracts (full-time, part-time and seniority) from difference regions. It would be a good guess that a vast majority of the membership who voted (No) last contract were high seniority, informed Full Timers.

The purpose is to make it a win for the grievant if it ends up in front of an arbitrator.

I don't have an issue with a p/t employee voting on any part since they will be affected by the language if they choose to post for the same job. Otherwise, guys would only protect their own areas.

BrownMonk

Bug—-quick question:

The part you leave out is that he is not allowed to receive retiree benefits from Teamcare(if the supplement that carries them) because he wasn't there during the transition.

BrownMonk

Yep.

Yes again.

(per year) until age 65.

Depends on the Pension Trust Agreement. Most say that as long as they are employed in the Union. They can't collect pension. The Local usually pays the pension of the Officer/ Agent as part of their pay just like at UPS. Since you are still participating in the pension, you can't collect until you are completely retired. Be interested to hear if other funds allow for this.

BrownMonk

I feel that they drag out negotiations too long. It would be much better if the sections in the master, etc. were not written in legalese and always subject to interpretation. Think back when the contract book was way smaller.

Never too long to get it right. The present one doesn't end until Aug. 1 so why get something subpar done quickly if we can use leverage to get something better.

BrownMonk

UPS is less likely to give on any major concession until the shippers start putting pressure on them. It's a bit of a game of chicken

Que-Ball

Somebody, anybody HELP!!!! Does anyone understand Article 53 of the Atlantic Supplement? Apparently management nor my business agent understands it. I'm a new feeder driver, gained seniority before Aug. 1, 2018. I understand Article 41 as far as pay and the 4-year progression. My question is who do the last 2 paragraphs apply to?
upload_2018-10-29_20-52-31.png
upload_2018-10-29_20-54-0.png
upload_2018-10-29_20-54-52.png

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Somebody, anybody HELP!!!! Does anyone understand Article 53 of the Atlantic Supplement? Apparently management nor my business agent understands it. I'm a new feeder driver, gained seniority before Aug. 1, 2018. I understand Article 41 as far as pay and the 4-year progression. My question is who do the last 2 paragraphs apply to? View attachment 219981View attachment 219982View attachment 219983

I ran into this before. You think this gives you a two year progression, but the progression schedule in the master supercedes the supplementals.

Article 41 Section 2

Screenshot_2018-10-29-19-38-07-1.png

This is from the new contract, so the dates have been crossed out and all that, but the old language is what you were hired under, and it wouldn't change even if you had been hired after 8/1/18. Also, if you would have read this very thread, you would have found your answer.

Last edited: