What is our incentive to join the teamsters?

Hawaii Five O

Hawaii Five O
Can anyone tell me why we should join the teamsters union? I will be retiring in 6 yrs with 30 yrs service. Combined; my company pension, social security; and 401k will pay me between 5&6K a month without touching the principal on my 401. I just got the fact sheet on the pension fund last week and it is fully 100% funded.

With the recent teamster pension cuts and under funded status
(40%), explain to me why I should even sign a union card, let alone vote the teamsters union in at this stage in my career?

Pretend you are a car salesman and try and sell me the pinto along with the extended warranty.:confused:1

Teamster251

PSST Drvr Local 251 PRORI
Can anyone tell me why we should join the teamsters union? I will be retiring in 6 yrs with 30 yrs service. Combined; my company pension, social security; and 401k will pay me between 5&6K a month without touching the principal on my 401. I just got the fact sheet on the pension fund last week and it is fully 100% funded.

With the recent teamster pension cuts and under funded status
(40%), explain to me why I should even sign a union card, let alone vote the teamsters union in at this stage in my career?

Pretend you are a car salesman and try and sell me the pinto along with the extended warranty.:confused:1

Okay you say you have 6 yrs left.
1.) Specualtion is that the Teamsters will offer three for one on future pension credits and vest them after 5 yrs. If this holds true you wold have a 18 yr Teamster pension along with you current pension after 6yrs.
2.) 40%???? Where are you getting this number? Which fund are you talking about? Is your pension 100% becuase they (Overnite/UPSF management) are telling you this or is the Teamster pension (which fund) is 40% funded becuase they (Overnite/UPSF management) are telling you this. You claim you have a fact sheet that says it 100%, you can get the facts from the Psension too. You are from PA, do you know which fund you would be covered under? Certianly not the imfamous Central States. I suggest you research your local area Teamster Pension fund yourself and get the answers to funding, companies involved, and contributors, along with the company and Teamster trustee names. These individuals can answer the question better than anyone.

3.) Now if the pension funds are your only reason for joining or not joining the Teamsters, why are you even considering it.
Do you want a voice in the workplace?
Do want protection against unjust firing or disipline?
Do you want protection against subcontracting or farming out of your work to other companies.
Do you want paid medical, dental, eye care, legal, burial, dismemberment and death benifits for zilch?
Do you want job security, the protection offered against someone with less seniority taking your job or start time based on favoritism, nepatism or retailiazation.
Do want to be paid for all duties preformed instead of giving up time spent on or with company property preforming duties directed toward you to preform by the company?
Do you want fair days wage for a fair days work.
Paid holidays guarenteed?
Paid personal time off guarenteed?
Sick days paid without filing an insurance claim?
Overtime after 8?
Time and a half plus 8 on holidays if asked or forced to work?
Do you want your rights as an American worker respected?
Do you want to be repected on or in the work place by your superiors and peers?

I don't beileve in extened warranties, but I do believe in maintaining and continuing to grow. The rest will take care of itself.

T251

mittam

1.) Specualtion is that the Teamsters will offer three for one on future pension credits and vest them after 5 yrs. If this holds true you wold have a 18 yr Teamster pension along with you current pension after 6yrs.
2.) 40%???? Where are you getting this number? Which fund are you talking about? Is your pension 100% becuase they (Overnite/UPSF management) are telling you this or is the Teamster pension (which fund) is 40% funded becuase they (Overnite/UPSF management) are telling you this. You claim you have a fact sheet that says it 100%, you can get the facts from the Psension too. You are from PA, do you know which fund you would be covered under? Certianly not the imfamous Central States. I suggest you research your local area Teamster Pension fund yourself and get the answers to funding, companies involved, and contributors, along with the company and Teamster trustee names. These individuals can answer the question better than anyone.

3.) Now if the pension funds are your only reason for joining or not joining the Teamsters, why are you even considering it.
Do you want protection against subcontracting or farming out of your work to other companies.
Do you want paid medical, dental, eye care, legal, burial, dismemberment and death benifits for zilch?
Do you want job security, the protection offered against someone with less seniority taking your job or start time based on favoritism, nepatism or retailiazation.
Do want to be paid for all duties preformed instead of giving up time spent on or with company property preforming duties directed toward you to preform by the company?
Overtime after 8?

I don't beileve in extened warranties, but I do believe in maintaining and continuing to grow. The rest will take care of itself.

T251

If you want all this don't join the teamsters!!! They will fill you with all their empty promises and rape you of your pension,dinity and respect. It's time to stand up and say you don't want the thugs they are. Their only interest in the Overnite people is the strong pension they willpilfer away for all the other broke trucking companies.They only want the UPS cash cow!!!!!!! Take a strong stand against them and join the APWA who has your best interests at heart.Your pension will be safer there and the overall benifits will be better. This includes taking care of your spouse at retirement should something happen to you. Look at their web site feel free to call either Van or Danny and get further info, they would love the chance to talk to you.

Teamster251

PSST Drvr Local 251 PRORI
If you want all this don't join the teamsters!!! They will fill you with all their empty promises and rape you of your pension,dinity and respect. It's time to stand up and say you don't want the thugs they are. Their only interest in the Overnite people is the strong pension they willpilfer away for all the other broke trucking companies.They only want the UPS cash cow!!!!!!! Take a strong stand against them and join the APWA who has your best interests at heart.Your pension will be safer there and the overall benifits will be better. This includes taking care of your spouse at retirement should something happen to you. Look at their web site feel free to call either Van or Danny and get further info, they would love the chance to talk to you.

The IBT has no legal right to the Overnite pension controlled by UPS, the same way APWA has no right to the IBT pensions or Overnite pension controlled by UPS.

If you choose APWA you start from scratch. Your Ovenite pension will be frozen and grow at minimal rate, the smae way it will if the IBT is choosen. Only difference is you will get one for one in pension credits from APWA's YET BE TO ESTABLISHED pension.

APWA has no contract negioation history, no pension, no one collecting heatlh bennies. Wow they dio have website, I'm impressed.:thumbup1:

DorkHead

Excellent post T251. Your reply to have Hawaii 50 research his questions with the local area teamster pension fund is correct. There, he will find facts backed by numbers and names. Here, he will only find confusion and alot of misinformation, especially from posters of the central states fund.

t

Overtime after 8?

T251

This Is exactly what I'm talking about. These guys are all worried about their pension and nothing else. Just how much more they can get than the IBT can offer. Most of the oldtimers are not worried about workrules, shinywheels, wages, ect.... There just laying low until their out date. So of coarse the pension is the only thing they are thing about. Not what is best for all employees. Who's got their head up where now?

local804

Hawaii,

Just playing devils advocate over here just 1 question for you...
You never say how much your pension is after 30 years you just say combined and include all 3. What exactly is your pension ONLY after 30 years?, your SS and 401k have nothing to do with your pension.

helloitsme

Hawaii,

Just playing devils advocate over here just 1 question for you...
You never say how much your pension is after 30 years you just say combined and include all 3. What exactly is your pension ONLY after 30 years?, your SS and 401k have nothing to do with your pension.

Local,
His company pension is at least 2150.00 or more a month. The formula for pension is a percentage of the best five consecutive grossing years. For example, my friend retired in 2000. At age 65 he had 20 years with the company. His pension check is 1950.00 a month. Hope this helps.

any122

adirondack man
t

This Is exactly what I'm talking about. These guys are all worried about their pension and nothing else. Just how much more they can get than the IBT can offer. Most of the oldtimers are not worried about workrules, shinywheels, wages, ect.... There just laying low until their out date. So of coarse the pension is the only thing they are thing about. Not what is best for all employees. Who's got their head up where now?
Little brother you our right about one thing.The old timers our worried about who is going to continue to fund the corrupt IBT MOB under funded pensions and the over funded salaries for the MOB controlled leadership running the defunked IBT.Well It won't be the smart well informed employees at UPS freight.The employees at UPS Freight will stick together we on the freight side know who in the end makes the stock holders happy and it sure the hell isn't management.I say SCREW THE TEAMSTERS.Didn't need them before don't need them now!And buy the way you can pull your head out anytime now.:lol:

Do you want a voice in the workplace? ALREADY HAVE ONE
Do want protection against unjust firing or disipline? PEER REVIEW BOARD ALREADY DOES THE JOB
Do you want protection against subcontracting or farming out of your work to other companies. ONLY AREAS WITH NO TERMINALS ARE SUBBED OUT> ACTUALLY HIRING AT A FAST RATE
Do you want paid medical, dental, eye care, legal, burial, dismemberment and death benifits for zilch? NOT TRUE> SOME LOCALS IN NEW CONTRACTS ARE HAVING TO PAY DUES AS WELL AS MEDICAL BENEFITS>
Do you want job security, the protection offered against someone with less seniority taking your job or start time based on favoritism, nepatism or retailiazation. MY JOB IS SECURE AND SENIORITY IS ENFORCED. ALL START TIMES AND EXTRA WORK IS ASSIGNED IN SENIORITY ORDER
Do want to be paid for all duties preformed instead of giving up time spent on or with company property preforming duties directed toward you to preform by the company? I GET PAID FOR ALL DUTIES I PERFORM
Do you want fair days wage for a fair days work. CAN'T GET MORE THEN THE MASTER FREIGHT AGREEMENT. AT THE RATE WE ARE GETTING RAISES NEXT YEAR WE WILL SURPASS MASTER FREIGHT Paid holidays guarenteed? I AM PAID MY 9 HOLIDAYS AND HAVE NO ISSUES
Paid personal time off guarenteed? I AM PAID MY 3 PERSONAL DAYS WHETHER I USE THEM OR NOT.
Sick days paid without filing an insurance claim? IF I FILE A SICK PAY CLAIM, I CAN GET UP TO 5 WEEKS at 100% pay and AN ADDITIONAL 22 WEEKS at 60% pay
Overtime after 8? IF THERE IS ONE ITEM I CAN AGREE ON WITH YOU IT IS THIS> Not worth my time to get a union involved over 1 item. 2009 Will be 40 hours anyway. although it is not as good as after 8 I will take it.
Do you want your rights as an American worker respected? I HAVE RESPECT
Do you want to be repected on or in the work place by your superiors and peers? I AM RESPECTED BY MY SUPERIORS

WHAT IT ALL COMES DOWN TO IS:::

IF I DO NOT WANT TO WORK AND WANT TO DRAG MY ASS THEN I SHOULD BECOME A TEAMSTER. AS LONG AS I DO MY JOB EFFICIENTLY, I HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. I have watched other drivers get fired and go to the peer review board and get their job back. It is alot harder to get fired here then working for a union company. trust me i have worked for both.

helloitsme

Do you want a voice in the workplace? ALREADY HAVE ONE
Do want protection against unjust firing or disipline? PEER REVIEW BOARD ALREADY DOES THE JOB
Do you want protection against subcontracting or farming out of your work to other companies. ONLY AREAS WITH NO TERMINALS ARE SUBBED OUT> ACTUALLY HIRING AT A FAST RATE
Do you want paid medical, dental, eye care, legal, burial, dismemberment and death benifits for zilch? NOT TRUE> SOME LOCALS IN NEW CONTRACTS ARE HAVING TO PAY DUES AS WELL AS MEDICAL BENEFITS>
Do you want job security, the protection offered against someone with less seniority taking your job or start time based on favoritism, nepatism or retailiazation. MY JOB IS SECURE AND SENIORITY IS ENFORCED. ALL START TIMES AND EXTRA WORK IS ASSIGNED IN SENIORITY ORDER
Do want to be paid for all duties preformed instead of giving up time spent on or with company property preforming duties directed toward you to preform by the company? I GET PAID FOR ALL DUTIES I PERFORM
Do you want fair days wage for a fair days work. CAN'T GET MORE THEN THE MASTER FREIGHT AGREEMENT. AT THE RATE WE ARE GETTING RAISES NEXT YEAR WE WILL SURPASS MASTER FREIGHT Paid holidays guarenteed? I AM PAID MY 9 HOLIDAYS AND HAVE NO ISSUES
Paid personal time off guarenteed? I AM PAID MY 3 PERSONAL DAYS WHETHER I USE THEM OR NOT.
Sick days paid without filing an insurance claim? IF I FILE A SICK PAY CLAIM, I CAN GET UP TO 5 WEEKS at 100% pay and AN ADDITIONAL 22 WEEKS at 60% pay
Overtime after 8? IF THERE IS ONE ITEM I CAN AGREE ON WITH YOU IT IS THIS> Not worth my time to get a union involved over 1 item. 2009 Will be 40 hours anyway. although it is not as good as after 8 I will take it.
Do you want your rights as an American worker respected? I HAVE RESPECT
Do you want to be repected on or in the work place by your superiors and peers? I AM RESPECTED BY MY SUPERIORS

WHAT IT ALL COMES DOWN TO IS:::

IF I DO NOT WANT TO WORK AND WANT TO DRAG MY ASS THEN I SHOULD BECOME A TEAMSTER. AS LONG AS I DO MY JOB EFFICIENTLY, I HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. I have watched other drivers get fired and go to the peer review board and get their job back. It is alot harder to get fired here then working for a union company. trust me i have worked for both.

Why do you have this skewed view of a union employees ? I know alot of hard working teamsters. Yes, there are some lazy asses, but, there are alot of lazy asses at UPSF too ! They don't get fired either ! Obviously you are not a linehaul driver because we DON'T get paid for every thing we do. Why should I sit on my ass for two or three hours waiting on a driver from SOH to arrive to a meet point because they have the most horrible load and schedule planning ever,and not get paid one red cent for my time ? That is absurd. Why should I show up to work a half -hour before my departure time to pre-trip and not get paid for the pre-trip ? You see where I am going with this. A wise old lady told me once,"Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves". You can call me greedy all you want. I am not thinking so much about the pension as I am the here and now.What about the jacked up insurance that we are paying now. I just want to be paid for every minute that I am on company property doing company business. There is no free lunch in this world. Those pennies will be just fine in my pocket instead of the companies' pocket. You should stop reminiscing about the good 'ole days when Harwood Cochrane owned Overnite. Those days are long gone.

any122

adirondack man
Why do you have this skewed view of a union employees ? I know alot of hard working teamsters. Yes, there are some lazy asses, but, there are alot of lazy asses at UPSF too ! They don't get fired either ! Obviously you are not a linehaul driver because we DON'T get paid for every thing we do. Why should I sit on my ass for two or three hours waiting on a driver from SOH to arrive to a meet point because they have the most horrible load and schedule planning ever,and not get paid one red cent for my time ? That is absurd. Why should I show up to work a half -hour before my departure time to pre-trip and not get paid for the pre-trip ? You see where I am going with this. A wise old lady told me once,"Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves". You can call me greedy all you want. I am not thinking so much about the pension as I am the here and now.What about the jacked up insurance that we are paying now. I just want to be paid for every minute that I am on company property doing company business. There is no free lunch in this world. Those pennies will be just fine in my pocket instead of the companies' pocket. You should stop reminiscing about the good 'ole days when Harwood Cochrane owned Overnite. Those days are long gone.
Im in linehaul driver and you get payed after the first hour unless you our getting to your meet point ahead of the meet time.If thats the case thats your problem.If you show up a half hour before your departure your a fool.Your pretrip should be done while you are hooking.Why would you show up early if your meet is always late?If you get payed buy the mile you don't get a payed lunch no matter who you drive for.Also take this advice from a wise old truck driver,"You our payed very well and have one of the best paying jobs in the industry."If you want to be a teamster go drive for a teamster company.Lastly if you our so unhappy here why stay?Go down to your local union hall and get one of them great teamster jobs.

Little brother you our right about one thing.The old timers our worried about who is going to continue to fund the corrupt IBT MOB under funded pensions and the over funded salaries for the MOB controlled leadership running the defunked IBT.Well It won't be the smart well informed employees at UPS freight.The employees at UPS Freight will stick together we on the freight side know who in the end makes the stock holders happy and it sure the hell isn't management.I say SCREW THE TEAMSTERS.Didn't need them before don't need them now!And buy the way you can pull your head out anytime now.:lol:

Like I said before, no one should take you seriously. Your letting your emotions get the best of you. Don't call the rest of us names if we have a different opinion, It just shows your ignorance.

Lastly if you our so unhappy here why stay?Go down to your local union hall and get one of them great teamster jobs.

But when it comes down to it you will vote for apwa. If you need the apwa it must not be that great of a job.

apwa= We have our own union (some sort of bragging rights)= greedy employees.

local804

IF I DO NOT WANT TO WORK AND WANT TO DRAG MY ASS THEN I SHOULD BECOME A TEAMSTER. AS LONG AS I DO MY JOB EFFICIENTLY, I HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. I have watched other drivers get fired and go to the peer review board and get their job back. It is alot harder to get fired here then working for a union company. trust me i have worked for both.[/QUOTE]

Now that has got to be the dumbest post I have seen on this board yet. If I do not want to work I should become a teamster?

4 words

GTFO!

helloitsme

Im in linehaul driver and you get payed after the first hour unless you our getting to your meet point ahead of the meet time.If thats the case thats your problem.If you show up a half hour before your departure your a fool.Your pretrip should be done while you are hooking.Why would you show up early if your meet is always late?If you get payed buy the mile you don't get a payed lunch no matter who you drive for.Also take this advice from a wise old truck driver,"You our payed very well and have one of the best paying jobs in the industry."If you want to be a teamster go drive for a teamster company.Lastly if you our so unhappy here why stay?Go down to your local union hall and get one of them great teamster jobs.

Are you an extra board driver ? Schedule meets have an hour break built into them. After your break you have to give the company another hour before you start to get any delay pay ! What is the rate for delay pay at UPSF....a whopping 12.40 an hour....! Breakdown pay....full rate after one hour....it's the company's fault the truck breaks down ....not mine ! It is company policy to show up in enough time to HOOK AND PRE-TRIP(DOT mandates at least 15 minutes minimum pre-trip). It is Also company policy that you LEAVE the yard at your scheduled DEPARTURE time. At my barn,delaying freight will get you a big fat Corrective Action Notice ! BTW, I'm no pup and am a wise "middle aged" truck driver. Why stay,you asked ? Why should I start over ? You have a voice in all this. You can vote "no" while the majority of us will be voting "yes".:thumbup1: :tongue_sm

hoser

Industrial Slob
Teamster251 is selling the Mazda, I'm the guy in the Nissan dealership across the street shouting at you.

Do you lack a voice, or have you've lacked a voice in 30 years? There are companies that :ohmy::ohmy: yes, listen to their employees and treat them with respect! And they're not in unionized environments.

Would you ever, or have you've ever be(en) put in a position where you'd somehow get fired 'unjustly'? Is your labour so cheap and expendable that they could fire you for no reason and have it make economic sense?

Are you scared of efficency?

Who cares about where it comes from, IT'S FREE :w00t:
(and it's not zilch, y'see, this is how the union holds power; they negotiate a health plan, have the employer pay into this massive bloated health plan, and the union collects your three hours a month, as if they're the one's paying for it)

or the dirty word to unions: 'merit' (believe me, when working for airlines where scheduling is everying, scheduling was MUCH better WITHOUT the union shift bidding crap)

:confused:1

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
1) Is it unfair as it is?
2) ..nevermind

Labor laws cover that.

Majority of companies offer that anyways

Labor laws cover that.

Overtime after 8?
Labor laws.

Labor laws

Labor laws

To think that a union would bring this utopia of happiness and respect is complete bollocks. Unions divide supervisors, management, and employees (because now managers have to adhere to stupid rules and they take out their frusturation on normal employees) and create rifts amongst employees (which is why I'm not openly against the union at my workplace). There are tons of good companies with great corporate culture that get hijacked by these unions promising peace love and happiness, but they end up running the coporate culture into the ground. Don't buy into that crap. The Teamsters put their coffers #1, not their 'brothers and sisters'

Interesting that a unionist would have such a laissez faire approach.:mellow:

The IBT has no legal right to the Overnite pension controlled by UPS, the same way APWA has no right to the IBT pensions or Overnite pension controlled by UPS.

If you choose APWA you start from scratch. Your Ovenite pension will be frozen and grow at minimal rate, the smae way it will if the IBT is choosen. Only difference is you will get one for one in pension credits from APWA's YET BE TO ESTABLISHED pension.

APWA has no contract negioation history, no pension, no one collecting heatlh bennies. Wow they dio have website, I'm impressed.:thumbup1:
Now what about people that responsibly saved for their retirement (like the OP who has a 401k), and realise that pensions are intended to supplement, not inclusively cover, an individual's retirement?