What not to do

iruhnman630

He may have a saving grace in the substance abuse program UPS has. Doubt it though.

Either way he will certainly be off the road while his license is suspended.

F

Frankie's Friend

By the report, it sounds like he was using a helper and .316.
Alot of people are fortunate in this case.

A lot of hurting people out there.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
He may have a saving grace in the substance abuse program UPS has. Doubt it though.

Either way he will certainly be off the road while his license is suspended.

He's done completely.

You can't ask for help.... after the fact.

Article 35 Section 4.11

"3. Dischargeable Offenses

D. Possession of and/or consumption of an alcoholic beverage while on duty."

Central Region Supplement

Article 17

"(b) drinking of, or under the influence of alcoholic beverage or narcotics during the workday pursuant to National Master Article 35;"

He was almost 4 times the legal limit.

-Bug-

The Driver

I drive.
Article mentions that the driver claimed he is going through a divorce. I feel for him. But this job can't tolerate someone being wasted on the clock, there's too much at stake. I wish him all the best.

F

Frankie's Friend

He's done completely.

You can't ask for help.... after the fact.

Article 35 Section 4.11

"3. Dischargeable Offenses

D. Possession of and/or consumption of an alcoholic beverage while on duty."

Central Region Supplement

Article 17

"(b) drinking of, or under the influence of alcoholic beverage or narcotics during the workday pursuant to National Master Article 35;"

He was almost 4 times the legal limit.

-Bug-

If they really like the guy they can't give a "no precedent set" decision since he didnt physically hurt someone or property?

oldupsman

True story. From the old days. Knew both these guys very well. One was a center manager, one a driver.
center manager is out doing on road checks. Goes into package car while the driver is making the delivery. Finds a
six pack half gone. Driver comes out. To the center manager is was obvious the driver had been drinking.

Here's the thing. These two were drinking buddies. Belonged to the same social clubs. center manager was known to
go out in the afternoon and come back to building with a little load. He's no stranger to on the job drinking.

center manager takes the beer and leaves. Story comes out one night after the center manager is transferred out of the building and
we're sitting in one of those social clubs drinking. Both retired from UPS with 30 plus years. One has
since passed. Like I said, The Old Days.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If they really like the guy they can't give a "no precedent set" decision since he didnt physically hurt someone or property?

Unfortunately, the company would never entertain the idea.

I have too much experience (again unfortunately) in dealing with these issues.

Driving the truck, arrested, almost 4 times the legal limit, and with a passenger.

Way to much liability.

The reason you can't ask for rehab after the fact....

Article 16 Section 3.1

"When an employee, in any job classification requiring driving, loses his or her operating privilege or whose license has been suspended or revoked for reasons other than those for which the employee can be discharged by the Employer,"

-Bug-

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
The really crappy thing is the company probably knew about his addiction and did nothing.

We had a guy who was a terrible alcoholic on our center. He did the right thing and didnt drink on the job, but by about 6 pm he would be going through terrible withdrawal, so much so that they had to send 2 or 3 split drivers to come take all but like 10 stops off of him. It was an open secret. Nobody in management did anything, everybody on the union side didn't wanna approach them fearing that they'd be labeled as a rat or not minding their own business, though I know a few guys said something to him privately.

He never got help and dropped dead about 10 or 12 years ago now. He was maybe 46.

Addiction is horrible.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
91683E13-30CF-4C92-9562-F5101BEB2326.gif
I wonder how many are smoking weed on the job?