What Part-Timers will get.

saintrick

With the cost of living adjustments in our current contract, part timers are *already* at $16.65, so what you're suggesting is a pay cut. I think even an immediate increase to $20 is the absolute minimum because many people have MRAs that are more than that. If UPS has decided to pay package handlers $20, $21, $22, $23, $24 an hour without any negotiation with the union, shouldn't the union be able to get their members an even better deal?

A four year seniority PT may be at 16.65 but the starting wage is still 15.50. UPS is advertising 16.20 for most areas in my region, I think that is a pretty good indication of where they are going to be.

A 10 year employee is just now getting to 20 an hour. A new starting wage of 20 plus and the raise it would take to bring current workers up to that would leave nothing for the rest. It is just not going to happen.

TheWeasel

A four year seniority PT may be at 16.65 but the starting wage is still 15.50. UPS is advertising 16.20 for most areas in my region, I think that is a pretty good indication of where they are going to be.

A 10 year employee is just now getting to 20 an hour. A new starting wage of 20 plus and the raise it would take to bring current workers up to that would leave nothing for the rest. It is just not going to happen.
"We want to fight for PT to get a good raise this contract"
Proceeds to not fight for a PT raise at all. Gives half of them a paycut.
"So that's where I think it should be. Otherwise there won't be any money left over for for the rest of us."

Over 200 hubs across the country start Part Timers at or above $17. About 90 of those are at or above $20-25 with the highest ones paying $26-28 (Jackson/Cape Cod/Eagon). While I think it is delusional to expect a $30 starting wage, it is equally delusional to expect anything less than $20 and it not get voted down by membership. You want scabs? That's how you get scabs. When the company pushes for higher wages than the union while not asking for dues you're gonna have people crossing the picket line. Hell, I'd be considering crossing the picket line and I come from a strong union household. It sickens me even typing that out.

Your statement regarding a 10 year employee just now making 20 and new hires demanding that is not a new hire entitlement problem. It is a problem with a company, and by extension the union, that has failed to adequately provide for appropriate raises that keep up with both inflation and the competition.

A four year seniority PT may be at 16.65 but the starting wage is still 15.50.
All new PT hires are guaranteed $16.65 after they pass their probationary period and join the union. That's when the Cost of Living Adjustment kicks in. $16.65 is the contract wage of $15.50 + .82 COLA + .33 COLA = $16.65. And a four year seniority PT doesn't make more than a 30 day seniority PT. It's all the same in the current contract.

UPS is advertising 16.20 for most areas in my region, I think that is a pretty good indication of where they are going to be.
It's not just your region, they're hiring at $16.20 (or more) everywhere.

Sorry, but it's already happening. UPS is and has been at $20+ at dozens of hubs. In some cities, package handlers are starting at $22, $23, $24. Sorry to all the teamsters who were cheated for so long.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
"We want to fight for PT to get a good raise this contract"
Proceeds to not fight for a PT raise at all. Gives half of them a paycut.
"So that's where I think it should be. Otherwise there won't be any money left over for for the rest of us."

Over 200 hubs across the country start Part Timers at or above $17. About 90 of those are at or above $20-25 with the highest ones paying $26-28 (Jackson/Cape Cod/Eagon). While I think it is delusional to expect a $30 starting wage, it is equally delusional to expect anything less than $20 and it not get voted down by membership. You want scabs? That's how you get scabs. When the company pushes for higher wages than the union while not asking for dues you're gonna have people crossing the picket line. Hell, I'd be considering crossing the picket line and I come from a strong union household. It sickens me even typing that out.

Your statement regarding a 10 year employee just now making 20 and new hires demanding that is not a new hire entitlement problem. It is a problem with a company, and by extension the union, that has failed to adequately provide for appropriate raises that keep up with both inflation and the competition.
Is it possible that the previous contract(s) as written, aren't/haven't been designed to encourage career part-time employees?

Yolo

Every time I see a part timers I get so angry. Where do they get off? Who exactly do they think they are?

Thebrownblob

And almost all of the good 22.3 jobs went to current FT members and there replacements came from off the street. Most of the PT in my building got nothing.
Every single 22.3 job in my building went to a part timer originally once the company lost the arbitration and was forced to begin giving out to 10,000 jobs. On the same day, I was asked if I wanted a 22.3 job another person and HR asked me if I want to go driving.

PT Car Washer

Every single 22.3 job in my building went to a part timer originally once the company lost the arbitration and was forced to begin giving out to 10,000 jobs. On the same day, I was asked if I wanted a 22.3 job another person and HR asked me if I want to go driving.
In my Local FT have first pick on any bid FT job. And then under the 3 to 1 ratio there replacements were all off the street hires. And PT sups.