What to expect @ a panel hearing? Husband terminated!!

Damian31

My husband was recently terminated for dishonesty. He knows what he did was wrong and stupid! ( he signed for a package.) I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for what to expect at a hearing.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
1st off sign nothing they put in from of you at the panel.

Second establish that he didn't profit from the act and that UPS did.

Did he ever do that when he was on an OJS. Get the documents and ride on records to establish the fact.

Ask for UPS policy regarding signing for packages at a customers request.

What did your training packet say about signing for other people packages.

Confont management with the issues of delivery time pressure and the lack of measured time to do the delivery as UPS methods and procedures allowances provides. 1st attempt/no one home/ leave notice on where you are going to indirect/ if not home at the 2nd location or refuse go to 3rd location and if successful or not go back and change notice. Total time can be over 10-20 minutes on a stop they allotted you 3 minutes to complete.

Establish that you where acting in what he believed was in the best interest of the company and he never once tried to hide it or intended to defraud the company or the customer.

Johney

I have never signed for a customers package even one's I know very well and never will,but what I don't understand is why do these people admit to it? I mean unless it's on camera(not likely)then why say you did it? Isn't the burden of proof on them? I understand you shouldn't lie,but it isn't like I haven't been lied to by them a time or two.

over9five

Staff member
Are you asking me? If so sure I've made a few mistakes, but signing for packages and using your own name is not a mistake,it's just plain STUPID!
Is it? Yes, doing it 25 times is stupid - but how 'bout once? You didn't forge anything, how 'bout if the customer asked you to sign if he wasn't home?

Just playing Devils Advocate....

barnyard

KTM rider
Is it? Yes, doing it 25 times is stupid - but how 'bout once? You didn't forge anything, how 'bout if the customer asked you to sign if he wasn't home?

I signed for a customer. She was elbow deep in something (cannot remember) and I said, "I can sign for you, but it is possible someone from UPS may call and confirm, so remember what we talked about, OK." I then signed my name and added, "as requested by customer."

At the end of the day, I told my on-car about it, making sure I had covered my butt on multiple levels.

Damian31

If you read my original post... I also said what he did was stupid!!! Also I never said he used his own name. He printed the customers name.

Johney

Never. To me that's like hitting something, causing damage and not reporting hoping someone didn't see it. I'm sorry to me it's just not worth it. Only people I trust is my family period. I'll give an example of trust and good customers and something that happened many years ago. I delivered to this business for a few years and seen the same receiving guy everyday we became friends as most of us do. Well one day the customer rep comes to me about a damage at said address(this was back when they did inspections on area)and tells me so&so(my friend) says I throw all his packages off the truck and onto the ground causing damage. Well this was not the truth and the rep believed me as it was true. But it made a very deep impression on me as to who too trust and who not too trust while wearing brown. If can cost me my job why risk it.

Johney

If you read my original post... I also said what he did was stupid!!! Also I never said he used his own name. He printed the customers name.
If you read, someone else posted about another driver signing for packages using his own name not your husband.

Johney

I signed for a customer. She was elbow deep in something (cannot remember) and I said, "I can sign for you, but it is possible someone from UPS may call and confirm, so remember what we talked about, OK." I then signed my name and added, "as requested by customer."

At the end of the day, I told my on-car about it, making sure I had covered my butt on multiple levels.
In all reality that would be the way to do it. But again you are trusting someone you really don't know do you? You CYA and most likely had a problem aroused you would be ok. The sad thing is most of the time you can't read the signature anyways that's why I said if you do it don't admit to it if someone says something.