Why does everyone here hate their job?

hypo hanna

It will end....It will all be over except for you BB, you will still be able to sit in your nice breakroom and watch your Big Screen TV...Do you get it, you are being used too....We were given so much, like you guys are now, then it dried up. Do you see your future? Open your eyes BB....

If you think FedEx is such a crappy company, why don't you leave? If you think you deserve more than you're getting, why don't you leave? Get a job somewhere where you think you're valued like you're supposed to be and get the benefits you want. I joined this board because I got a job at FedEx and thought there would be discussion about the jobs we all do. Instead every post is bitching about one thing or the next.

Crazy huh!

Ive been with this company for about 30 years. In that time they have taken back just about every benefit promised. They give me crap equipment to use and demand even more productivity all the while setting me up to fail. Strange that I would want to complain about that.

​If you want someone to lie to you about this job and tell you it's all sunshine and candy, you should go to Iamfedex.com

bbsam

Staff member
OHHHH, your so cool BB....Years Years, yes your right...Play the game, its all Been a Big game.....I dont blame you....Rack up the money, SAVE....and GTHO......Dont be like us...YOU GO BB

I absolutely will get out. I just don't see what took you guys so long. I never trusted Fred because he didn't promise anything. But you guys kept trusting even after every takeawyy. Nothing cool about it. But the writing on the wall has been there for years.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
If you think FedEx is such a crappy company, why don't you leave? If you think you deserve more than you're getting, why don't you leave? Get a job somewhere where you think you're valued like you're supposed to be and get the benefits you want. I joined this board because I got a job at FedEx and thought there would be discussion about the jobs we all do. Instead every post is bitching about one thing or the next.

Doesn't sound like you have been with Fedex for very long?

I still remember that new job smell. It faded rapidly, like a well used urinal cake.

Goldilocks

I absolutely will get out. I just don't see what took you guys so long. I never trusted Fred because he didn't promise anything. But you guys kept trusting even after every takeawyy. Nothing cool about it. But the writing on the wall has been there for years.

BB, you are so right, we should have left years ago....But those of us who believed, no longer believe...Its all about money now....No more than that......

fedupped

Us old timers have a pension. We have some portable pension also. And some company stock bought quarterly at a 15% discount from the median of high and low. (new guys shouldn't bother inquiring about this) WE should have some social security. Right now, its a day job to help pay off the bills till the kids get older and the house is paid off. The 15 year and under employee is the one who is gonna really get screwed. I have about 10 years left.

bbsam

Staff member
Goldi

I don't care what HR told you, it was always about the money. Years ago they could hide it because profits were up. It's business though and always about the money.

5yearsleft

A lot of us are at the age where it doesn't make sense to leave with 5 years to go until retirement. I've been driving a truck for the last 20 years! I have no other marketable skill at this point, and who would hire me at 55? I had hoped that I would have moved up in pay more than I have. But at my age I'm not going to give up 3 weeks vacation & benefits (yes, there are some!) Most people I know pay a lot more for their insurance. BUT....I don't like how Fedex has gone downhill in the last few years!!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A lot of us are at the age where it doesn't make sense to leave with 5 years to go until retirement. I've been driving a truck for the last 20 years! I have no other marketable skill at this point, and who would hire me at 55? I had hoped that I would have moved up in pay more than I have. But at my age I'm not going to give up 3 weeks vacation & benefits (yes, there are some!) Most people I know pay a lot more for their insurance. BUT....I don't like how Fedex has gone downhill in the last few years!!!!

So true. If you are 45-55, where do you go? Nobody wants to hire you because there is a lot of age discrimination out there, and Fred certainly doesn't want you either. The fact that FedEx has been so duplicitous for so long doesn't speak well of their corporate ethics, of which they have none.

El Morado Diablo

We hired a person in their mid-40's last year with a similar attitude. This person actually had the nerve to stand-up in a meeting and tell everyone how we should do everything asked of us without question and be thankful we had jobs. This person instantly became management's resident tattle-tale inside the workgroup. Fast forward nearly a year -- after a change in employment status (PT to FT), change in route, forced swing driving, forced OT, denied vacation time, etc this person is starting to open their eyes. Most of us love the "They can't do that!", temper tantrums, calls to HR, calls to the state employment office, calls to MD, SM, etc.. I can honestly say I've never been so entertained in all my years at FedEx. I wonder if you will end up providing your workgroup as much entertainment as our co-worker has in such a short time.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Goldi

I don't care what HR told you, it was always about the money. Years ago they could hide it because profits were up. It's business though and always about the money.

Well remember that someday when they tear up your contract in front of your face with a nice 30 minute notice.

Epoisode7

Unfortunately, I think bbsam is right. I used to work in law enforcement. If you think express is bad, try law enforcement. The pay was worse, benefits were slightly worse, and the management was awful. Plus many people hated me simply because of the shirt I wore.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Unfortunately, I think bbsam is right. I used to work in law enforcement. If you think express is bad, try law enforcement. The pay was worse, benefits were slightly worse, and the management was awful. Plus many people hated me simply because of the shirt I wore.

I know several cops making over $125k per year, with benefits far superior to anything we've ever had at FedEx. A lot of urban PDs pay 60-70k to start. Sure, you take a lot of crap, but it pays well...unless you are in the South. They pay very little.

Hate 150lb Packages

Starting pay here is 30,000. It doesn't max out much higher than that. The big cities here start out at 43,000, which is pretty decent here compared to C.O.L. Nobody shoots at you. Atleast not usually. I never once used a firearm or lethal use of force and only saw it a few times. The real killer is heart disease, broken multiple marriages, mental and emotional strain from seeing some nasty stuff, working strange hours.... and you might not think it, but massive back problems in career guys. A duty belt fully loaded plus ballistic vest can weigh 30+ pounds all riding on your spine that is in and out of a car all day, squatting, running, and most of the time, hunched over with a pen. Express blows too though. I think most people think this way of their job, unless you're fortunate enough to do something you love.

MAKAVELI

Out here in CA they start at around 60-70k and heard some pd pulling 100k just in overtime. Out here police and fire have the best benefit pkg available, including a 3%@50 retirement. With 30 years in they can retire with 90% of their highest paid year and full health benefits.

bbsam

Staff member

This is true. And it's also a viewpoint not often expressed here as to why couriers will never unionize. 5 years to go? These people won't rock the boat. Fred is safe because in the mixture of old and new, there is no real union of objective.

newgirl

That's me in a nutshell, although I have a few more than 5. You would be surprised at what your marketable skills are though. Customer service, organizational skills, adaptability, ability to prioritize, etc. I don't know about your punctuality or how many sick days you have used, but showing up every day and on time is always a plus.

I don't hate my job. I enjoy it. I hate what this company has become. And it's not the only company that has succumbed to changing market forces.

​It's an "accept the things you cannot change" thing for me.

vantexan

Anymore it seems that the only ones making money are business owners, those with skills that are essential to a business making money, or government employees. With so many factory jobs gone that paid well the rest of us are consigned to working for little. You'd think that a job like an Express courier would pay more given the demands placed on it but FedEx no longer has to compete with manufacturers offering solid jobs as too many of those are gone. They are competing with Walmart, McDonald's, etc and from that viewpoint Express looks like a good deal. Except they now know that with so many out there with no marketable skills they have a vast pool of potential employees looking for something better than $10hr but will settle for $14hr. Getting marketable skills often means competing with many others for relatively few openings. Or taking a job that puts a real crimp on your home life, like long distance trucking. The only way I see out of this mess is gov't creating an environment that improves the business atmosphere to where they can grow. Across the board growth means competition for employees and better pay and benefits. The stagnation of wages and loss of benefits suggests companies don't see growth in the foreseeable future and they are getting their profit at our expense. I know how much some of you hate it, but the only real way to provide better jobs is an environment where the rich get much richer. That's not FOX News, that's just my observations of a lifetime of boom and bust cycles. Any attempt to provide through gov't benefits for the masses by taxing those that have eventually goes bust as those that have eventually don't have as Europe has found out. Want solid gov't programs with enough revenue to support them? Then business must thrive without high taxation. The resultant activity always brings more revenue to the government. I've read and heard John friend. Kennedy's speech affirming this, it's simple economics. And in reality we have a situation where CEO's compensation is way out of line with corporate CEO's in the rest of the world. We need to put a stop to the ravenous wolves who are hurting this country. Businesses should thrive, but they should thrive off serving a well paid populace with money to spend. A small % of the population doing extraordinarily well while the rest struggle is a recipe for class warfare that can lead to open revolt. If you don't believe that you haven't studied history, which too often repeats itself.

P.S. It does seem like a contradiction that the rich must get richer but we must stop concentrating wealth. I mean that across the board the chance to do much better must exist, but there has to be limits placed on concentrating wealth into few hands. Best bet is a better environment for small business, as large corporations have proven they are looking to cash in through stock options, and the rest of us be damned if we don't like it.