Why does everyone here hate their job?

bbsam

Staff member
Yes, van. But the only way to make companies pay more is through the power of the federal government and then we hear complaints about over regulation. Companies aren't going to pay more of their profits simply to make workers happy, not with the vast pool of potential hires in the market place.

By the way, does Fedex have a courier training school?

vantexan

Yes, van. But the only way to make companies pay more is through the power of the federal government and then we hear complaints about over regulation. Companies aren't going to pay more of their profits simply to make workers happy, not with the vast pool of potential hires in the market place.

By the way, does Fedex have a courier training school?

Yes they do, but in all honesty I think it's to satisfy gov't regs about trained employees handling DG and getting freight to it's destination ramp. Many couriers are doing the job for awhile before ever going to school. And you are right about the corporations but we do have a one man one vote system. If the Dems concentrated on helping the working man get a better job instead of all the sideshows then I could vote for them.

Guapo

It's not the job I hate its the crappy pay progression...about roughly .09 a year. Seems like I should have been fired long ago if all if my performance merited such a pitiful annual raise.:angry:

whenIgetthere

Unfortunately, I think bbsam is right. I used to work in law enforcement. If you think express is bad, try law enforcement. The pay was worse, benefits were slightly worse, and the management was awful. Plus many people hated me simply because of the shirt I wore.

I have a relative in law enforcement, retiring this year at age 55 with 33 years on the job. Just built a half million dollar retirement home in the south, retirement based on his five highest earning years (about $125K to 150K per year with all the OT and 'details', which are four hours MINIMUM even if he only works and hour or two),his benefits are far superior to anything we get! He pays more for medical insurance, but that is also far superior to anything we get.

DontThrowPackages

If you think FedEx is such a crappy company, why don't you leave? If you think you deserve more than you're getting, why don't you leave? Get a job somewhere where you think you're valued like you're supposed to be and get the benefits you want. I joined this board because I got a job at FedEx and thought there would be discussion about the jobs we all do. Instead every post is bitching about one thing or the next.
That's like asking the guy who married a 250lb woman,"why did you marry a fat woman and not a super model?"

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have a relative in law enforcement, retiring this year at age 55 with 33 years on the job. Just built a half million dollar retirement home in the south, retirement based on his five highest earning years (about $125K to 150K per year with all the OT and 'details', which are four hours MINIMUM even if he only works and hour or two),his benefits are far superior to anything we get! He pays more for medical insurance, but that is also far superior to anything we get.

My neighbor, who is a city cop, makes excellent "side" money on the "details" you mention, plus doing traffic control on construction projects. He drives his own car to the site in a uniform, puts on a safety vest, and stands there imitating MT3 for $60 per hour. This is independent of everything he makes doing his regular police job.

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

I hate my job because I have to move a lot. My thighs rub together and it makes a lot of friction. Plus those fedex shorts are so abrasive, and its hard to find size 52. My reflective stripes are white, but I think its mayonnaise. I would rather be a chef.

Ricochet1a

Everyone needs to remember, that this is the same guy just a month ago (late June 2013), came on here, asking how he could 'get ahead of the line' to get a handler job!! He thought he was 'special' and if someone here told him the 'secret FedEx word', he could make a phone call to the hiring manager in question, and get a job to start his wonderful career with Fred, who would keep a watchful eye over his newest protege.

Such is the folly of youth (or so we are led to believe)...

Then I'm going to presume he actually got his hander job, comes on here not having worked for Express for even a month and writes this:

If you think FedEx is such a crappy company, why don't you leave? If you think you deserve more than you're getting, why don't you leave? Get a job somewhere where you think you're valued like you're supposed to be and get the benefits you want. I joined this board because I got a job at FedEx and thought there would be discussion about the jobs we all do. Instead every post is bitching about one thing or the next.

Now... I was young and brash a long time ago; but I was NEVER this stupid or presumptuous.

By the way... he 'joined this board' BEFORE he got a job with Express (check out his postings). So he is either tap dancing rather liberally around the truth, or he may be yet another purple bleeder from iamfedex that drifted over here to defend his Lord and Savior - Fred W. Smith.

Either way, be it the folly of youth or yet another member of Fred's 'outer party' (you'll never know for sure), you can see what you (as a career wage employee) are up against.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I hate my job because I have to move a lot. My thighs rub together and it makes a lot of friction. Plus those fedex shorts are so abrasive, and its hard to find size 52. My reflective stripes are white, but I think its mayonnaise. I would rather be a chef.

Now I understand. When UPS fired you for appearing as Fat Bastard in "Austin Powers", you got hired-on at FedEx. You are "dead sexy", baby!!

hypo hanna

..... So he is either tap dancing rather liberally around the truth, or he may be yet another purple bleeder from iamfedex that drifted over here to defend his Lord and Savior - Fred W. Smith.

I suspect it is the later of the two. Why is it that Fred's shills are so clumsy?

EffOff

We here at the "Kinko's" end of things recently had a meeting with our Regional Master...er, Manager. He was responding to a climate survey that was kind of a downer. He told us that some of the responses in the survey were vitriolic and bitter, and he too asked "Why don't you leave?" He then tried to make us all appreciate our poorly-paid work-you-to-death poverty-level jobs, but the it came off was "Hey, in the past, I had jobs that sucked even worse!" :P

Slave101

People do keep on quitting, we had three in one day on Friday. All of them were very good couriers. I can't wait to leave also. I guess this is what management wants

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
People do keep on quitting, we had three in one day on Friday. All of them were very good couriers. I can't wait to leave also. I guess this is what management wants

This is exactly what they want, although they'd prefer the marginal couriers quit. They are very confident that DRA will allow them to hire anyone off the street and make them proficient enough to be very productive and profitable. It's interesting that DRA has had the exact opposite result in locations where it has been implemented. As far as Memphis is concerned, you only have to be as good a a Ground driver. We'll see.

Nick9075

I think he's the love child of Dano and Fred
. Thought the same thing. One thing I can spot is this holier than you attitude that guys like him have. Managers love people like this ad does corporate america for the most part you know the typical ass kissing sheep. There is a guy like this at my terminal who got a prime route for next to nothing from a guy who was forced to give some of his routes up.

Upsmule

I don't hate my job. I hate the double standard hypocrisy that now rules the day. It used to be a great place to work. Or at least they were better at hiding the double standard hypocrisy years ago, and it didn't effect me like it does now. Ignorance is bliss, but ignorant or not....it didn't effect me then like it does everyone, ignorant or not, now.

It's just the corporate way in this economy. The tighter things get economically the tighter the screws on the chains holding the slaves become. I have a friend who delivers for Coca-Cola....everyday, he works his 12 hours and turns around and brings what he has left on his truck back, and hits his 60 DOT hours every week. He gets paid salary not hourly. Count your blessings.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
I'm with you Upsmule ... I don't hate my worst enemy. But you are so right, with the hypocrital attitude. They talk out the "side of their neck"; that's when they get on my last nerve.
Actually I enjoy watching the others, that are leaving. I'm not that far away from retirement. So I grab popcorn and watch the show.

5numbers

Well my friend, hopefully you will never experience what i did. 1. Call my dispatcher after i tore my knee on the route and being told , sorry you got to stay out there, i have no one to help! 2. After injuring my knee again on the ice, a second surgery resulted, Mgr sends me to Fedex doctor to put me on light duty even tho i could hardly walk, company doctor even said he was sorry but you know what i gotta do to you! 3.i transferred into a station where the idiot MGR gave me a 1200 piece bulk and resi route while telling me three year employee has to take other OPEN route because she could not handle route i was given!I had over 20 years with Fedex at the time. 4.My MGR at my last station left me on sort pulling 4 sort positions, including 200 piece 100 lb bulker, gee, guess who tore their right elbow muscle , almost forgot senior MGR came out and screamed at me for stopping the belt,doing 4 sort spots plus bulker! 5. I retired last year and my station will not put a 25 year banner up, the only person at the station , including terminated employees who has not been honored. 6. friend FEDEX