Why is a Strike Quite Possible?

I GOT ONE MORE

And I've never really understood you hard line teamster guys, either.
Don't get me wrong, collective bargaining has given all of us a great job, that others would be thrilled to have.
So much adversity and head butting along the way, though.
I've had my issues with management, but I always had a reasonable relationship with them.
I did my job, and found management support often.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Don't get me wrong, collective bargaining has given all of us a great job, that others would be thrilled to have.
I've had my issues with management, but I always had a reasonable relationship with them.

I'm glad you had a positive experience during your employment.

99.9% of UPS members have not.

Hence.... the need for the Union to bargain all working conditions. As required by law.

Thebrownblob

Hard line? I don’t think asking the company to keep their end of the bargain up is really ever hard line. Nice that you had good experiences but a lot of people do not and I’ve had the dubious distinction of being involved in helping a lot of the people, that friendly company that you were portraying is really a mask they have on.

I GOT ONE MORE

Hard line? I don’t think asking the company to keep their end of the bargain up is really ever hard line. Nice that you had good experiences but a lot of people do not and I’ve had the dubious distinction of being involved in helping a lot of the people, that friendly company that you were portraying is really a mask they have on.
No disrespect intended, perhaps that was the wrong word and not directed at anyone.
My thoughts are.....just as there are good and fair management people, there are also bad and mean-spirited management.
Now, substitute the word management with union rep.
Both of us know they both exist.

Thebrownblob

No disrespect intended, perhaps that was the wrong word and not directed at anyone.
My thoughts are.....just as there are good and fair management people, there are also bad and mean-spirited management.
Now, substitute the word management with union rep.
Both of us know they both exist.
Yes, this I could agree with. But you have to remember even fair management people have an agenda and have A boss. They are not your friend at least not when you’re at work.

kforte36

Not everyone is making 40 dollars an hour like you think. Once you go FT, then it’s at the end of your 4th year that you top out. This doesn’t include all the years as a cover driver. Most centers it’s a 4-7 year wait as a part timer just to get a SHOT at being a driver. Problem we are running into in my center is that PTers do not want to drive due to hours, work life balance, harassment, stress, etc. Also, if you haven’t noticed there’s a reason for the high turnover rate at PT. Ask around, easy to figure out.
I don't really blame people for not wanting to be a driver anymore. Waiting multiple years just for the shot of being a 22.4 driver then doing that job for an indefinite amount of time while being on a lower payscale than an RPCD and having no overtime protection with no guarantee of ever making the top hourly rate. Many older drivers look down on 22.4 drivers. Some are bad but some know what they're doing. A lot of RPCDs may worked in the building for a number of years until they became a driver but they also weren't paid a lower payscale than more experienced drivers in their centers to do the exact same job.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I don't really blame people for not wanting to be a driver anymore. Waiting multiple years just for the shot of being a 22.4 driver then doing that job for an indefinite amount of time while being on a lower payscale than an RPCD and having no overtime protection with no guarantee of ever making the top hourly rate. Many older drivers look down on 22.4 drivers. Some are bad but some know what they're doing. A lot of RPCDs may worked in the building for a number of years until they became a driver but they also weren't paid a lower payscale than more experienced drivers in their centers to do the exact same job.

Most of the younger drivers were brought up watching “King of Queens”. .. face it nobody wants that kind of future.

At one time..many moons ago, We were proud to say that we were working for UPS…even as part timers…now I do not even bring it up in discussion…

Most of the younger drivers were brought up watching “King of Queens”. .. face it nobody wants that kind of future.

At one time..many moons ago, We were proud to say that we were working for UPS…even as part timers…now I do not even bring it up in discussion…
Many moons ago management want us to get a good contract because they knew we got a good contract they was going to get what we got

I GOT ONE MORE

When we got 25 and out at any age with Carey, it wasn't long after that stock going public made them all rich.
And hopefully you too.
Back then, hourly could purchase stock at a 10% market discount through payroll deductions.
Management got theirs through the MIP annual bonus which was PART of their compensation package.
Most hourly probably shrugged it off because they had to pay.
Not me.
When the stock went public at $65, that was an immediate triple. I held for about 15 years before selling all about $95.
While stock paid decent dividends all those years, it didn't have much capital appreciation during that time frame. But it's done pretty well the last 5 years or so.
I guess my point....plan ahead, whatever your trade. One must see the forest AND the trees.

badpal

If that future included Leah Remini in her prime , sign me up. :wink-very:

Jetboat1

I think for most people it’s much lower than what I just said. I would bet for $50/hr by 2028, most full timers would sell their brothers out. They don’t think about the fact that we are locked in to this deal for 5 years.
The length of the contract is up to negotiations maybe more or less than 5 years. Maybe 1 year?

Thebrownblob

It could keep us from potentially losing some business to our competitors and keep it more of our union members working
Perhaps but we will be right back in the situation in just a few months. Possibly even worse. If the company is unwilling to negotiate some of the key items now like PVd and 22,4 I don’t think waiting a year will help.

Last edited: